• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Does anyone know about a ballistic calculator that will take front and rear sight dimensions instead of yardage the rifle is zeroed at?

The reason I ask is because I put HK sight clones on my AR. My top rail is higher to make room for the piston action (they should be considered cool again now that the Marines picked one:innocent0). These sights sit lower and I have the deep cheek weld I wanted.

I want the calculator to help figure out distances for the different apertures on the rear sight barrel.

Thanks!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Ballistic AE asks for sight height as one of the parameters. I have not used the app yet. I just bought it a few weeks ago.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Does anyone know about a ballistic calculator that will take front and rear sight dimensions instead of yardage the rifle is zeroed at?

The reason I ask is because I put HK sight clones on my AR. My top rail is higher to make room for the piston action (they should be considered cool again now that the Marines picked one:innocent0). These sights sit lower and I have the deep cheek weld I wanted.

I want the calculator to help figure out distances for the different apertures on the rear sight barrel.

Thanks!

Why would you use a ballistic calculator for iron sights? Usually the programs ask for scope height from the bore. How will you adjust your iron sights to dial in distances? The HK rear sight has the drum with yardage markings on it. If your front and rear sight are on the same plane you should get close enough. How far were you trying to shoot?

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Probably different sight radius, so different small angle relative to the barrel. They are probably different calibers too. The other apertures won't correspond to round numbers for the range but it shouldn't be hard to remember two extra ranges if I zero #2 for 200 yards.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Like you said, most ballistic calculators are for long range shooting with scopes. I just want to get a better idea of where my shots will tend to go on the third and fourth apertures.

The HK rear sight acts like a BDC, but it only works for the exact rifle configuration it's made for. You could think of what I'm doing as getting ranges for the second and third hash marks on a mildot reticle.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ballistic AE and Ballistic for IPad have sight height for an input. It works for iron sights as well as scopes. You can also make adjustments for sight radius using a percentage of your turret values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sight height above bore line would be sane factor whether scope or metalic.

If you know the original spacing on the H&K sights, you can use your Alegbra to calculate the effective movement per click in current setup .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom