• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I just tossed a BAD lever on an old light weight build. I ran a few hundred rounds of freedom munitions 55gr thru it and noticed several times the bolt would not stay open after the last round. This has never been an issue with this rifle or with these rounds in this rifle. I've read up online and seen it "could" be the issue (and I assume logically it is).

I want to know if anyone personally has seen his and if I should just ditch the BAD lever. I have a phase 5 one piece on another build and it functions flawlessly. Any thoughts from all the uber smart AR guys out there? ;)

TIA

Ryan

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I heard they didn't work with the EA billet lowers so I went with a phase 5 on the EA build and it's been great. I grabbed a bad lever for my light weight (with a aero forged lower) and figured it would work fine. It functions great other than the issue with the bolt hold open. I'm debating on ditching it and trying another phase 5 or just going without. Hmmm.....

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Never had an issue before installing the bad lever with that lower? I would take the lever off and see if it still has that issue. Make sure to use the same ammo and mags, just to isolate the change.

It could be something as stupid as weak ammo not running the bolt back far enough to lock back, although you'd think it would have other issues probably in that case.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have them on 2 ARs and never had an issue. The only time I had the same issue is when I had it on my pistol that had a forged lower with a billet upper. Does the back plate of the BAD lever touch the lower? If so, try to remove it and reinstall.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm taking it back out this weekend with same ammo and mags to be sure I guess. I've never had it happen prior, but I'm going to run some different ammo as well so I can compare.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    No experience with the BAD...but i did put a cool Seekins billet bolt catch on and while i thought i had it figured out it just would not hold back all the mags 100% the time.

Function > cool....back to the Stag original...works like a charm!!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Never had an issue with the BAD lever on any of my ARs but did have an issue with one on one of my S&W 15-22s. Sometimes it would close the bolt before I could get a new mag in and sometimes it would close when I popped the mag in. The latter would be great but it did not happen every time. I think the weight of the BAD assembly was causing the latch to drop so likely a stiffer spring would solve it. I just might put one on my tactical carbine to see if that happens on mine.
    Since the BAD lever is not what initially works the BHO in your case it could be that the BCG is not going back far enough on all your ammo to lock the bolt open when the mag goes empty. Have you found any instance when it is not locked open after the last round with no BAD lever mounted? If so it might require a change in buffer spring or weight.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I put one on a build and it wouldn't work. it was a tactical innovation lower.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I have one of these lowers and had to modify the mag catch to get it to function properly. The external dimensions on the TI billet lowers are a little funky.

As far as the BAD lever, I really don't like them. They catch on gear if your using a sling and I have a tendency to bump them at inopportune times.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    SOme of the LPK have a "weak" spring on the bolt release and when you throw a BAD on the bolt release the distribution of the weight can be enough that the bad compresses the spring enough in that it doesn't catch the bolt.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    SOme of the LPK have a "weak" spring on the bolt release and when you throw a BAD on the bolt release the distribution of the weight can be enough that the bad compresses the spring enough in that it doesn't catch the bolt.

A weak spring would make the bad lever easier to engage. The magazine follower pushes up on the bolt catch, which compresses the spring (which the rest of the time is holding the bolt catch down away from the bolt)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A weak spring would make the bad lever easier to engage. The magazine follower pushes up on the bolt catch, which compresses the spring (which the rest of the time is holding the bolt catch down away from the bolt)

With the added mass on some bad levers not necessarily. if the spring is soft it just may compress and without lube their may be too much friction causing the spring to compress and bind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom