• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Last weekend while visiting a NJ summer camp, we played with the camp's bows. I'd like to get something to use at home.

It was a simple, very basic recurve bow. Adults. like me, were using it, but it's also used by 12 year-old kids. I have no idea of the pull weight or manufacturer.

What can I get that would be just fun in the backyard? Cost is important, but not necessarily the first factor.
    Users will be adults, 19-58.

The backyard is safe, even if I would like to use the neighbor's house as a backstop.

Thanks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Dicks has Barnett starter bows. They are good for plinking, and cheap. There are more expensive options that will grow with the archer. If you want to hunt with it, MD requires a minimum of 30 lb draw.

If you are backyard shooting, think about hanging a tarp on a clothesline for a backdrop to save hunting hose stray arrows.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you want to get into archery Three Rivers Archery is a good place to find stuf on line for Recurves.

Here is a starter bow you could even get 30# and 45# limbs for for other shooters. Extra limbs are here

Getting good arrows is what you need to learn. Most likely you get arrows spined for 40# if shooting a 30# recurve as a general rule you go 10# heavier on a recurve. You can buy aluminum, Carbon or wood, but NEVER buy the cheap wood arrows at stores!! Good wood arrows are made from good stock and these will not be good stock. Good wood arrows almost cost as much as aluminum arrows, some times more. This is why many traditional archer get a second hobby as an arrowsmith. :D

Remember, if you get different limbs, you need different sets of arrows for each set up limbs. Arrows perform dynamicaly different on heavy vs. lighter limbs.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you start to make your own arrows, this will be a good read for you. I wrote it for many primitive archers I was running across that just could not fathom arrow dynamics. Its a good read if you developed the interest in arrow making.

Attachments

• Finding the Correct Spine for You.pdf
      60.6 KB · Views: 107

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Hey, you really want to watch brace height. I have a few youth-sized bows I use for teaching my kids to shoot.

For adult males, brace height should be about 7".

Most youth bows I've seen don't have this. Even my mom's starter bow, which fits her nicely (she's 5'6") stings my forearm.

I large hands and thick forearms. I can get away using a 6.5" brace height like is found on my favorite compound, an older Oregon (predecessor to BowTech), but just barely.

Josh

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Not sure if that was directed toward me, Franklin.

Brace height does not only apply to compounds, but to all bows. I was using my bow as an example.

Mom's bow is a recurve, and my boy's are long bows of the beginner type. Dad used to shoot compound, but his shoulder is too bad these days.

I'm looking for a long bow or a recurve to hunt bunnies as the Oregon is just too heavy for that.

A 30lb at 29" or 30" recurve would be about perfect for small game, I think.

Still, the brace height will be 7"!

Regards,

Josh

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Make sure you look up the local and county laws regarding bows if you have not already.

Even then be prepared to have the police show up. Has happened to me twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom