• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I would be concerned it would stop the bolts too quickly and damage them.

Most stops are thick and "plush" to slow the arrow/bolts and not damage them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    More than 2 layers..

And since its rubber.. you'll have a hell of a time taking your bolt out of it.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    will most likely destroy the bolt in the process

if it is purely for safety and is not your actual target then sure

otherwise you want more like 18 inches of close cell foam

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    carpet makes for a good back stop. you could put the behind for a stop and a peice of carpet in front and keep a buffer in the middle to slow the bolt down before impact. ive seen people just use scrap carpet and stacked it in a frame horizontal so the bolt slides in between the layers. frame it in with 2x12 and lock it all together so it stands on its own.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I have a good target. Just looking for something better than a chain link fence, in case we miss.
    :)

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    On my cell, so I can't see your location,but if you're close to Frederick, gaithersburg or rockville I have a bunch of close cell foam cubes sitting around (former pelican inserts). I was going to trash them but if you want one (3'×3'×3'approx). Shoot me a pm and we can meet somewhere

enjoi1968

May 10, 2013
    by7emy9y.jpg

Thats the pile. 1 on top is a cube with empty center, middle is a smaller rectangle with some cuts out. Bottom is the biggest with a couple cuts but mainly solid. Bottom would be best the best backstop IMO. Though you could form 1 large one with glue and some cutting of them.

Edit: thought I had more. Maybe they are in the attic...

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I'm trying to make up something that's at least 6x6.

Would one side of one of those stop a bolt? If so, I'm thinking maybe I cut them up, and probably make it work.

Sorry for the dumb questions. This is my fiorst cross bow. I''ve had it for about six months and have yet to shoot it.

ETA: My intention is to hang it from a swingset, behind the actual 18x16 target

enjoi1968

May 10, 2013
    How thick? 6'x6'x3' probably don't have enough material here. Probably could make 6'x6'x3" with what I have sitting. Add 3 sheets of foam backing from HD or Lowes I think you may have something, Watson.

But I'm just spitballing here

Edit: Im not sure how deep CCFoam needs to be to stop a bolt. Someone who has used it perhaps could chime in on depth used.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    3 layers should do. take a 2x4 and screw the the carpet to each side of the 2 inch side so you have a 3.5 inch buffer. ues 2 pieces on the back portion. they make arrow stop netting but i dont believe its rated for crossbows.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Carpet will stop them, hang it from the top and let the sides and bottom swing free. The movement of the carpet will absorb some of the energy of the arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom