• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    They will introduce it.

We have to be prepared.

We have to respond.

The House majority should be enough to prevent it though.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is truth...

It was the supposed details I found interesting (especially the "no grandfathering")

No AWB will pass anyway. She knows this. So she may as well go for the most ridiculously oppressive language that she can.

Then when election-time comes around for her, she can float that bill in front of her liberal populace and win as many points as possible. That's all it really is...doling what the morons who elected her wanted her to do. And I can't really fault a politician for following the will of the people that elected him/her, even if those people are raving morons.

Fortunately, we are not yet a whole country of raving morons.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    This is truth...

It was the supposed details I found interesting (especially the "no grandfathering")

Don't see how that can stand Constitutional Muster (but then again...no one thought anyone in this country could be compelled by the "commerce clause" to be forced to buy health insurance).

No Expost Facto laws or bills of attainder.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    They will introduce it.

We have to be prepared.

We have to respond.

The House majority should be enough to prevent it though.
    I would prefer to not find out.

Honestly...if they do and succeed, what options are we left with?

And to the MSP or NSA puke reading this...F'off! Grow a pair and support your Oath assholes! It's an honest question and have you looked at Greece lately? No? New Jersey? New York in Sandy's wake? yup...I asked it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I love how people here don't understand how EOs work, don't understand that treaties cannot override the Constitution, and don't understand that legislation needs to be passed by the House (GOP-controlled!).

There is more to our system of government than the Second Amendment, guys. It is absolutely embarrassing to see this stuff floating around, because it makes gun enthusiasts look like civic idiots.

i don't wear tinfoil hats and frankly am not a student of the constitution, but given that some states (ahem, MD) have pretty strict and somewhat dumb firearms laws, is it that unreasonable to think that similar (or worse) laws and regulations and restrictions could be put in place throughout the US?

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    i don't wear tinfoil hats and frankly am not a student of the constitution, but given that some states (ahem, MD) have pretty strict and somewhat dumb firearms laws, is it that unreasonable to think that similar (or worse) laws and regulations and restrictions could be put in place throughout the US?

OK, let's try a hypothetical. Tomorrow morning, BHO issues an EO that no centerfire firearms may be sold by any manufacturer or dealer, and all such weapons on civilian hands must be handed over to law enforcement. There would be a few minutes of stunned silence from the shooting community, then the whole mob would dissolve in laughter. There is not a single EO that anyone not a federal employee is bound to obey. The man can affect the issuance or renewal of FFLs to a degree, although he can't violate the law to do so. He can restrict imports to an extent. He can order NICS to shut down, but that would be silly, because the law allows sales to continue if NiCS is out of commission. He can't do much without Congress.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No grandfathering. Look at the number of AR's and other "modern sporting rifles" that have been sold just in the last 10 years. You are going to tell a bunch of voters that they need to forfeit THOUSANDS of dollars in firearms to the government? The next election won't go well.....

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    No grandfathering. Look at the number of AR's and other "modern sporting rifles" that have been sold just in the last 10 years. You are going to tell a bunch of voters that they need to forfeit THOUSANDS of dollars in firearms to the government? The next election won't go well.....

I saw "No grandfathering" a little differently...

No sales of existing unsold weapons, and potentially no production of parts for existing models could be the point.

I say that, because "No sale permissible if in possession" would effectively kill any transfers of any existing weapons covered by the [supposed] bill, while not risking unrest with an outright confiscation... yet.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Or the "Million Gun march" that will show up in DC.....:innocent0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are reasonable fears, and there are unreasonable fears. I would absolutely worry about imports due to the sporting use clause, because that could be affected via EO. I would not worry about some draconian AWB passing the House.

Very little chance of that, which is why I generally disbelieve this Ammoland article. Not even the California AWB tried that. They did force registration, however. I will point out, though, that I remember the post-Aurora bill having a clause about forbidding transfers of grandfathered guns, except possibly for inheritance. Such a clause would render your firearms collection de facto worthless from a resale POV.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Very little chance of that, which is why I generally disbelieve this Ammoland article. Not even the California AWB tried that. They did force registration, however. I will point out, though, that I remember the post-Aurora bill having a clause about forbidding transfers of grandfathered guns, except possibly for inheritance. Such a clause would render your firearms collection de facto worthless from a legal resale POV.

Fixed. Do you know how expensive quality liquor got during prohibition?

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    There are reasonable fears, and there are unreasonable fears. I would absolutely worry about imports due to the sporting use clause, because that could be affected via EO. I would not worry about some draconian AWB passing the House.

Very little chance of that, which is why I generally disbelieve this Ammoland article. Not even the California AWB tried that. They did force registration, however. I will point out, though, that I remember the post-Aurora bill having a clause about forbidding transfers of grandfathered guns, except possibly for inheritance. Such a clause would render your firearms collection de facto worthless from a resale POV.

Another point to remember: the CA registration covered only about 1-3% of the affected firearms before it went to ban. That's a lot of guns they didn't have their thumb on when they showed their hand.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

That might work but requiring them to be turned over could find them in trouble with the due process clause. They would likely have to pay market value for all the guns they collect.

Thanks
    Robert

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I love how people here don't understand how EOs work, don't understand that treaties cannot override the Constitution, and don't understand that legislation needs to be passed by the House (GOP-controlled!).

There is more to our system of government than the Second Amendment, guys. It is absolutely embarrassing to see this stuff floating around, because it makes gun enthusiasts look like civic idiots.

+1

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That might work but requiring them to be turned over could find them in trouble with the due process clause. They would likely have to pay market value for all the guns they collect.

Thanks
    Robert

$50 gift card is the going price at any buyback program.

Don't expect .gov to pay wholesale let alone retail.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    $50 gift card is the going price at any buyback program.

Don't expect .gov to pay wholesale let alone retail.

Have you every seen what the government has had to pay for land? It is one thing to offer to buy it is another thing to tell people they have to give it up. There would be law suits over the prices and the courts tend to just toss money and people. They would pay the MSRP on each gun they collected and they would likely pay more if you could show why the gun would be worth more. Example the gun was owned by someone famous, you paid for after market changes, and you might even be able to get them to pay for things like hostlers etc.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom