• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    From Ammoland today...

Is Feinstein Pushing A New Semi-Auto Ban?

This could get sticky, if it's true...

Here’s an email forwarded to me, reportedly from NSSF:

I just heard that Sen. Feinstein’s attorney is meeting right now with folks from FTB and ATF legal (Eric Epstein [legal], Todd Martin [Legal] and Earl Griffith [FTB] and others) to discuss a new SAW ban, that she would want to start pushing through as soon as (if) Obama gets reelected.

- – No pistol grip allowed
    – - No HC Mags
    – - No grandfathering
    – - No sale permissible if in possession

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    What are the chances any AWB Would pass in the house?

Not very likely Dems lost control of Congress for the first time in 50 years behind the Clinton AWB. Noone wants a repeat of that.

More than likely it will be quietly done by signing on to treaties with other nations. Hey, its not like the Constitution really matters anymore.:sad20:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Pass in the House ? ... pshaw ...

Obamarx doesn't need to get anything passed in the house. Executive Orders in 3, 2, 1 ...

And, there's no way with the new Congressional makeup to muster a 2/3 majority to override an EO.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    And we would be cooperating with any such law why, exactly? I don't own any guns, of course, but if I did, I'd already have sufficient weapons and plenty of ammo laid aside, and a caching plan ready to go.

If you want to know one of the gungrabbers' worst nightmares, imagine a strong AWB that only turns up a few thousand guns. They will know the rest are still loose, and who they are now pointed at.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I love how people here don't understand how EOs work, don't understand that treaties cannot override the Constitution, and don't understand that legislation needs to be passed by the House (GOP-controlled!).

There is more to our system of government than the Second Amendment, guys. It is absolutely embarrassing to see this stuff floating around, because it makes gun enthusiasts look like civic idiots.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I love how people here don't understand how EOs work, don't understand that treaties cannot override the Constitution, and don't understand that legislation needs to be passed by the House (GOP-controlled!).

There is more to our system of government than the Second Amendment, guys. It is absolutely embarrassing to see this stuff floating around, because it makes gun enthusiasts look like civic idiots.

Truth. :thumbsup:

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012

I have made this point more than once. In one ear and out the other.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Relax.....there's been an election for president, not unrestrained dictator-for-life. Life goes on and not much has changed in the House and Senate. Nothing dramatic is going to happen without significant fighting and publicity.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County

True, and the Affordable healthcare law (which was determined to be a tax) did not originate in the house as it should but in the sentate. Passed Judicial review and is slated to be implemented in 2013.

Yes, there's more to the system of government than the second ammendment but like most things it can be chipped away at piece by piece though regulation and executive orders such that when a ban does come it is simply seen as the next logical step.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I am more concerned with not being able to afford to buy new guns or enjoy the few I have over an AWB. Jobs and high costs of living has me.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Ahhh ....

Executive order

Legal conflicts

To date, U.S. courts have overturned only two executive orders: the aforementioned Truman order, and a 1995 order issued by President Clinton that attempted to prevent the federal government from contracting with organizations that had strike-breakers on the payroll. Congress was able to overturn an executive order by passing legislation in conflict with it during the period of 1939 to 1983 until the Supreme Court ruled in Immigration and Naturalization Service v. Chadha that the "legislative veto" represented "the exercise of legislative power" without "bicameral passage followed by presentment to the President." The loss of the legislative veto has caused Congress to look for alternative measures to override executive orders such as refusing to approve funding necessary to carry out certain policy measures contained with the order or to legitimize policy mechanisms. In the former, the president retains the power to veto such a decision; however, the Congress may override a veto with a two-thirds majority to end an executive order. It has been argued that a Congressional override of an executive order is a nearly impossible event due to the supermajority vote required and the fact that such a vote leaves individual lawmakers very vulnerable to political criticism.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Please explain the Hughes amendment and AWB1...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Please explain the Hughes amendment and AWB1...
    What would you like me to explain? Neither of these were done via EO. They were both passed by proper legislative mechanisms, albeit the former in a rather sneaky fashion.

As for "EOs are hard to overturn", this is absolutely true. But EOs are also not like laws that the president gets to write up out of whole cloth.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I think the sun rose in the East this morning, too...was anyone aware of that??

Feinstein is ALWAYS pushing gun bans. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom