• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Did something change in the last 1-2 years. To my knowledge WV did not issue permits to non-residents (My reading of statues and website at the time), especially since they went constitutional carry.
    I can see the Berkley County website says $100 non-residents now, but the application still says that you affirm you are a bonafide resident of X count, WV.
    How did you fillout/affirm you are a WV resident?
    2021, IIRC. The language referenced is carry over language. My WV NR permit is through Berkeley County.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Two days in a a much freer state sounds like a win to me.
    may do some house shopping as well, I would not mind living in the area if there is work to be had and a lower cost of living than where I want to move in PA only thing is family is hours away instead of maybe an hour.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    may do some house shopping as well, I would not mind living in the area if there is work to be had and a lower cost of living than where I want to move in PA only thing is family is hours away instead of maybe an hour.
    Frederick and Hagerstown are easily within commuting distance of the WV line if little can be found in WV, jobwise. Trust me, been thinking about relocating. I can see WV from my patio just under 10 miles away across the Potomac.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I also want to get a Utah CCW a lot of states recognize theirs and DE is one of them outside of MD, PA, WV I think that's all you really need if you stay between PA and VA missing DC.
    I think all you will get with Utah nonresident that you don't get with FL is New Mexico and Washington state. If you aren't going out west, FL or ME is better.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Florida is permitless now,you wasted money for nothing and West Virginia is constitutional carry.
    While WV is constitutional carry, having a permit means no NICS if you are a WV resident and get a firearm from an FFL. Just fill out the 4473, pay, and leave.

Most residents also live within 50 miles of the state border so that reciprocity thing is nice.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    While WV is constitutional carry, having a permit means no NICS if you are a WV resident and get a firearm from an FFL. Just fill out the 4473, pay, and leave.

Most residents also live within 50 miles of the state border so that reciprocity thing is nice.

Can you by-pass a NICS check as a non-resident with a WV permit, when purchasing a long gun in WV?

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky

Oh... I've got another question... It seems FFLs don't do anything but handle NICS and transfers (registration). So if I were to buy/order a handgun in WV and have them shipped to my local FFL in MD, would I be charged sales tax, since WV doesn't charge tax on guns and ammo?

When I say buy/order.. I'm asking if I were physically in WV, could I pay for it while there and just have the WV dealer ship it to my local FFL, or is that a problem?

Sorry for 1000 questions, but I've never had to deal with this in the past. I've only purchased long guns in MD.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Oh... I've got another question... It seems FFLs don't do anything but handle NICS and transfers (registration). So if I were to buy/order a handgun in WV and have them shipped to my local FFL in MD, would I be charged sales tax, since WV doesn't charge tax on guns and ammo?

When I say buy/order.. I'm asking if I were physically in WV, could I pay for it while there and just have the WV dealer ship it to my local FFL, or is that a problem?

Sorry for 1000 questions, but I've never had to deal with this in the past. I've only purchased long guns in MD.
    You wouldn't be charged sales tax in that scenario. There is at least one IP on here (Hafer's) that has shops in each state separated by a 10-15 minute drive. When I buy a handgun there, I do so at the WV shop (purchase made in WV). I then go to their MD shop to complete the 77R and for the subsequent pickup seven days later. They transfer the gun between shops in the interim. Bonus is you get any standard capacity magazines at the time of purchase - i.e. the mags can be transferred to you at the time of purchase instead of needing to be pinned/blocked/not transferred if sent to your MD FFL.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    You wouldn't be charged sales tax in that scenario. There is at least one IP on here (Hafer's) that has shops in each state separated by a 10-15 minute drive. When I buy a handgun there, I do so at the WV shop (purchase made in WV). I then go to their MD shop to complete the 77R and for the subsequent pickup seven days later. They transfer the gun between shops in the interim. Bonus is you get any standard capacity magazines at the time of purchase - i.e. the mags can be transferred to you at the time of purchase instead of needing to be pinned/blocked/not transferred if sent to your MD FFL.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. I do still wonder about being able to buy a long gun in WV (cash and carry) with their CCW Permit to bypass NICS. Every time I've purchased a rifle/shotgun, I always get delayed and can't pick up till the next day. Not that I go to WV often, but if I'm there and I want to pick up a rifle, I'd like to just walk out with it. Because going back the following day isn't an option for me, since I like up in Cecil County.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    If you get delayed on NICS every time , consider getting a UPN .

I thought about that but I don't happen to purchase guns often and after trying to get prints for my FL CCW, I didn't want to do it because getting prints for FL was a PITA!

Do you think it'll make any difference when purchasing a handgun since there's already a 7 day wait? Does the wait start the day following the NICS proceed or does it start the day after I make the dealer?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I thought about that but I don't happen to purchase guns often and after trying to get prints for my FL CCW, I didn't want to do it because getting prints for FL was a PITA!

Do you think it'll make any difference when purchasing a handgun since there's already a 7 day wait? Does the wait start the day following the NICS proceed or does it start the day after I make the dealer?
    Wait starts when the FFL processes their part of the 77R and the 77R is submitted to MDSP (and you pay MDSP their $10). NICS is checked as part of the 77R approval by MDSP, IIRC. The FFL doesn't call NICS in like they do for a long gun.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Wait starts when the FFL processes their part of the 77R and the 77R is submitted to MDSP. NICS is checked as part of the 77R approval by MDSP. The FFL doesn't call NICS in like they do for a long gun.

Great, so it's part of the 7 days then... As for getting a long gun, I guess it'll help if I'm out of state and find some crazy deal on something I might want. Right now, I'm looking to get a 20ga shotgun for my kid to shoot and that's about it.. Looks like I ain't getting a UPin. Too much hassle.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Did something change in the last 1-2 years. To my knowledge WV did not issue permits to non-residents (My reading of statues and website at the time), especially since they went constitutional carry.
    I can see the Berkley County website says $100 non-residents now, but the application still says that you affirm you are a bonafide resident of X count, WV.
    How did you fillout/affirm you are a WV resident?
    I was advised to strike out WV and write in MD. I provided other accurate info from my MD residency, per their specific instructions. It was explained that they didn't produce a separate, non-resident form. It's a one-size-fits-all form. Modify as needed. It worked for me.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Reciprocity... That's the reason I grabbed them. Originally I filed for FL to get DE. But being so far away, and having to mail my prints down had me thinking it might take longer than I wanted. Someone on Reddit said to get WV, which I never even thought of. They said it was actually better than AZ or FL and it would give me DE. And since I had a day off and I could do it in person, I made a drive from Ceciltucky to Jefferson Co, WV. Employees there were super friendly and and the form was like filling out a 4473. They took the form, a copy of my DL and MD WC/Range Cert. Oh, $100 cash. They only accept cash. Made me think it went into a beer fund. LOL. They said if I had already have my MD WC Permit, they could have just made a copy of it as my firearms training.

When I left, I stopped at Devil's Due Distillery too. Those folks there were awesome too! I asked if I could see their back operation and they took me on a personal tour. They pulled sample out of barrels and what not for me to try.

Great bunch of folks I ran into in WV that day!
    Not a huge difference between WV, FL, and AZ reciprocity except it looks like you do get MN w/WV, while you don't with AZ & FL.
    WV is basically maxed out on reciprocity with the remaining states having NO reciprocity at all.
    Only exception is Washington state. If WV adds fingerprints to their permit, they should (at least in the past) be able to get that agreement done, although WA has gone hard left so who knows if their SoS changed some rules unilaterally like Kathleen Kane did in PA and screw up everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom