• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    LOL...it is so obvious that most here have never been to a VA Traffic Court. 1: Reschedule until the cop doesn't show and then get off. Ummmmm...no. You will just get rescheduled to come back when the cop can make it. 2: PBJ....in VA...that stands for Peanut Butter and Jelly....there isn't any PBJ there. 3: They used the wrong words on the ticket!!! You will get off. Annnnndddd that's a no too. Wrong color of car....wrong type of vehicle...it does NOT matter.

VA is going to get their money. Bottom line. On the day of your court date....there will be lawyers patrolling the hallway and courtrooms looking for YOU! They get a list of all those who are in for over 20mph. They will say something like...for $500 I can get that reduced to a 19mph, fine and court costs. So bring cash.

This IS the way it works folks. The best defense is the uninsured, unlicensed, migrant worker who cannot speak English and needs a translator. EVERY one of them were let off with a stern warning and told to not drive until they have a license/insurance. My advice, dress poor. If they think you should have money....you gonna get hammered. I made 4 trips to VA Traffic court because the rent-a-cop Dulles Airport Patrol got hit and was on "medical leave". Each time.....reschedule....Finally at number 4 the Judge listened when I objected that it was a financial hardship to lose half a day of work 4 times for something the court should have known to reschedule. Yup...they gave me "a break" at a $250 fine and $250 in court "fees".

That is VA Traffic Court. Totally different than Maryland.
    That happened to me recently, driving 70 in a 35mph zone outside Winchester VA. It’s considered “reckless driving” not speeding. You can go to jail AND lose your license AND pay a hefty fine (don’t believe? me just ask Jayson Wirth!).

I got a great lawyer, got my speedometer calibrated, took 2 driving courses, did community service and paid a 200$ fine. I ended up with a 14 mph speeding ticket and 2 points on my license which never showed up on my MD driving record. All in it cost me close to 2.5k$ but it was worth every penny.

Lawyers name is Andi Geloo. She is the best.

Good luck.
    These guys know.

VA is TERRIBLE for traffic court, and you CAN GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL for 80mph+. So have your affairs in order, just in case. The good thing about VA is that this happens all the time, and you can easily find traffic lawyers familiar with each county. Get one.

As far as dressing "down" to look poorer...it's a good idea, but only if the car you were driving matches. Driving a $75k truck down there? Trying to look like you make 20k a year won't work.

When I was in court for this they had a progression of violations in there. The 5-10 overs went first, then 10-15, then 15-20, then the 20+. The attitude of the judge changed DRAMITICALLY from start to finish. The first girl that went up for 20 over didn't have a lawyer. The judge said: "You realize you could go to jail, right?" and when she was gobsmacked, he appointed a lawyer to her. The next girl didn't show and sent her lawyer instead. She got issued a bench warrant. It was all fire and brimstone once the 20+'ers came up.

gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    Exactly, sit back. You’ll get a dozen pieces of mail. It’s an industry for these shitty counties in VA. It’ll run you about $1100 after all said and done.

I had the same experience in VA on 301. Several VA lawyers sent me mail offering to represent me for the ticket. Don't know if they are any good, but it seems like this is their area of specialization.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That happened to me recently, driving 70 in a 35mph zone outside Winchester VA. It’s considered “reckless driving” not speeding. You can go to jail AND lose your license AND pay a hefty fine (don’t believe? me just ask Jayson Wirth!).

I got a great lawyer, got my speedometer calibrated, took 2 driving courses, did community service and paid a 200$ fine. I ended up with a 14 mph speeding ticket and 2 points on my license which never showed up on my MD driving record. All in it cost me close to 2.5k$ but it was worth every penny.

Lawyers name is Andi Geloo. She is the best.

Good luck.

****The above is spot on. Someone I work with was caught at 30+ mph over in VA, lives in VA, had a radar detector (big no no in VA) and decides to try and get off because of some BS that the police officer did not show her the "radar gun" reading or some such silliness - pissed off the judge and got her license revoked, and about 3k in fines and to pay for some classes, repair order on her car (speedo), they confiscated her radar detector, and spent a night in the detention center.... :shocked4: I thought it was pretty extreme, but she IS mouthy and rubs people the wrong way and is not the apologetic type at all..

She now has a restricted license to and from work until God knows when, her original insurance canceled her and she is with some ripoff insurance that charges a car payment every month for virtually no insurance. She took a driving class, and the whole incident has affected her entire life. She must have either had a crummy lawyer, or didn't listen to the lawyer, or just got the judge on a really really bad day - or mebbe all three.

Total nightmare. Before this incident, I've been in a car with her and she speeds, tailgates people, and just changes lanes like the highway is some kind of speedway. Remarkably, she seems to have calmed down now, after her incident.

Horrible, and no - she's not hot.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ****The above is spot on. Someone I work with was caught at 30+ mph over in VA, lives in VA, had a radar detector (big no no in VA) and decides to try and get off because of some BS that the police officer did not show her the "radar gun" reading or some such silliness - pissed off the judge and got her license revoked, and about 3k in fines and to pay for some classes, repair order on her car (speedo), they confiscated her radar detector, and spent a night in the detention center.... :shocked4: I thought it was pretty extreme, but she IS mouthy and rubs people the wrong way and is not the apologetic type at all..

She now has a restricted license to and from work until God knows when, her original insurance canceled her and she is with some ripoff insurance that charges a car payment every month for virtually no insurance. She took a driving class, and the whole incident has affected her entire life. She must have either had a crummy lawyer, or didn't listen to the lawyer, or just got the judge on a really really bad day - or mebbe all three.

Total nightmare. Before this incident, I've been in a car with her and she speeds, tailgates people, and just changes lanes like the highway is some kind of speedway. Remarkably, she seems to have calmed down now, after her incident.

Horrible, and no - she's not hot.
    …for some of our folks, if she has a pulse, “she’s hot.”

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    The ticket was on Thursday, wife received letter from ambulance chaser on Saturday morning.

There were two of us (vehicles) heading to SC for a three day hog hunt. Should have turned around when receiving the ticket, bombed out seeing any hogs.

Why the hurry - as previously stated zero traffic, straight divided road & just cruzin. As soon as we saw him sitting in the divider we both pulled over. He gave us a break and didn’t charge us with reckless driving.

Time to get one of these. In Virginia, you just have to be more cooperative since they’re illegal. Prince William usually got me. Mine saved me enough times that it’s probably paid for itself.

https://www.valentine1.com/

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Time to get one of these. In Virginia, you just have to be more cooperative since they’re illegal. Prince William usually got me. Mine saved me enough times that it’s probably paid for itself.

Just be aware, a good operator with the right equipment will render it much less reliable. I didn't read the specs but if not equipped to detect LIDAR, you may want to upgrade. With all that being said, there are units designed to detect and defeat the detector. (Or at least they're supposed to.) We have LIDAR units in the mix that are supposed to and I know the detection function works but I've honestly never tested them against a detector to see how it actually affects one.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

yeah i had a VA state cop pull me over with a v1 in my car. he knew exactly what it was. i guess they have sniffers for these and others. he took it he said to write down the serial # and gave it back to me.

he actually asked me if i had any guns in the car. i told him i just finished an idpa match and threw everything in the trunk. he says why do i have guns in the trunk and i'm thinking uh oh. then he says your handgun should be on you, the devil comes out of nowhere! was hoping with all the banter he'd let me off but nope.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My buddy just got pulled over in VA doing 83, I was on speaker. It appears the Purple Heart plates saved him. The cop was very nice. He said “are those your plates?” He indicated they were, and he said “please slow down. You went through too much shit to get those plates just to die on the Highway”.

So, there’s another angle. Thought I’d share since I’ve been following this thread with horror.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hopefully, some other Wazer would have identified the popo’s location.

I don’t drive 301 in VA much other than King George to the bridge, but I do run I-81 from the WV line down to Roanoke as well as I-95 from DC through Fredericksburg and points between fairly often and find Waze to be very helpful and accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom