• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ain’t nothing you can do that’s gonna break that dogs spirit. He just needs you to show him he’s not the boss.
    Totally agree. Until your dog looks at you for every decision, he will continue to make his own decisions. And I do mean looks at you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's a farfetched scenario but a real possibility to those that live within radius of the city!

Again i reiterate if there are any repercussion?

When dialing 911 after discharging a round into a canine?

Literally zero information on this subject.
    Your comment lacks context. What scenario are you talking about?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    This was answered upthread.

Answer: No, dogs are property and one cannot shoot to protect property.
    Wow, that's nuts. So you (legally) just have to sit there and allow it? Or leave your gun holstered and use your hands and legs to try to fight him off. That doesn't make a ton of sense. Guess in the end if you feel the dog was threatening YOUR life and not just your dog's you'd be justified...

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He does with me. The wife…still talks cute.
    You guys will get there. No doubt. One of the biggest obstacles to training a dog is the other family members. Everybody has to be on the same page(I know you know this).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wow, that's nuts. So you (legally) just have to sit there and allow it? Or leave your gun holstered and use your hands and legs to try to fight him off. That doesn't make a ton of sense. Guess in the end if you feel the dog was threatening YOUR life and not just your dog's you'd be justified...

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
    …but if that dog looked like it was coming for you….

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My sister was attacked by a goose back in the day. I got away but it disappeared the following day.

Legend has it, Pop Pop croaked it!
    I have been known to kick a few geese in the dark of night whilst prowling the grounds of National Geographic(now MoCo police HQ). We were night fishing... fishing at night. :innocent0

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Doubtful my dog will be the one losing, but if it was that’s a tough situation.

German shepherds are good against humans.

IMO German shepherds are not very good against other dogs, unless the other dog is also built like them. They are fast at running in a straight line, they aren't fast at turning and spinning due to their body length.

A shorter bodied, more muscular breed will kick their butt almost every time. This is based on hours of observing energetic play fights where mine spends most of his time spinning while getting nipped, and he can't get around fast enough to nip back. In a real fight against a fast pit bull, boxer, etc, if he were alone he would probably get torn up without getting more than one or two bites in.

There are good reasons they are often used as police dogs, and not used in dogfighting.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

IMO German shepherds are not very good against other dogs, unless the other dog is also built like them. They are fast at running in a straight line, they aren't fast at turning and spinning due to their body length.

A shorter bodied, more muscular breed will kick their butt almost every time. This is based on hours of observing energetic play fights where mine spends most of his time spinning while getting nipped, and he can't get around fast enough to nip back. In a real fight against a fast pit bull, boxer, etc, if he were alone he would probably get torn up without getting more than one or two bites in.

There are good reasons they are often used as police dogs, and not used in dogfighting.
    Oh, I’ve no illusions about that. Frankly, I’m not a fan of very protective dogs. Always had GSDs and they have always been great. This guy, very high herding drive. He’s working stock. Yep…sure is. Lol. Great dog with the family.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Why would you call 911?
    After discharging a firearm, you'll have a choice- speak to police as the SUSPECT, or as the VICTIM.

Massad Ayoob.

-----------------------------------------------
    Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

1. Establish the active dynamic. This means letting the investigators know what the bad guy did to force you to use your firearm against him. This establishes you as the victim.
    2. Reinforce that by stating you will testify against the bad guy — and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.
    3. Point out the evidence. Preserve it if possible; which can be difficult when medical and other personnel are running around disturbing the scene.
    4. Point out the witnesses. I know from experience that witnesses don’t always get interviewed or even have a statement taken at the scene; do your best to make it easy for officers, so the witnesses can back up your story.
    5. Shut up. Tell the officer he or she can expect your full cooperation after you’ve spoken with an attorney.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This thread gets funnier all the time.

YEARS of reading the angst and anger about police shooting dogs…

And finally “Shall Issue” comes to Maryland…

And we get an entire thread on… “CAN I SHOOT THAT DOG?:rolleyes:

Carry on…

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This thread gets funnier all the time.

YEARS of reading the angst and anger about police shooting dogs…

And finally “Shall Issue” comes to Maryland…

And we get an entire thread on… “CAN I SHOOT THAT DOG?:rolleyes:

Carry on…
    To be fair, if a cop comes in my house uninvited, my dog is doing his job. If my dog is outside and attacks another dog, I just wouldn’t be angry at the other dogs owner for shooting him. It’s my fault for not controlling my dog.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter

Well, I guess my 75 lb. GSD was the exception when he kicked the living shit out of that stray no collar pit that attacked straight in while on a walk. Pit came in low and, my GSD went high and got onto the neck.

That was a nasty mess that cost me $400 in my vet bills.

When we left the stray pit was standing there with blood running down its neck, pooling in the street, slobbering and beat.

That maniac was always looking for a scrap when he was with me and I could avoid most times.

But with my daughters he would go socialize at Pets Mart or wherever and be fine.

Stryker was a good dog; RIP.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    After discharging a firearm, you'll have a choice- speak to police as the SUSPECT, or as the VICTIM.

Is there a duty to report you were attacked?
    Is there a duty to report you discharged your firearm?
    Let's broaden that out a bit. Let's say I'm attacked by a dog and I kill him with a pocket knife. Do I still have to report what happened?

For those not following:
    When you have a legal duty to report then you should as it opens yourself up to additional legal/financial liability if you don't report.
    When you don't have a legal duty to report, and you are in a state that is rabidly anti-gun, then you should probably think long and hard before officially reporting yourself as part of the incident.

Taking it even further: if you feel you are about to be attacked by a thug, and you pull out your gun, then the thug runs away. Are you going to report yourself for brandishing? You know, being the responsible permit holder that you are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom