• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I picked up an NEF single shot 12 gauge and gave her the chop to 18.5 now I want to attach a set of rifle sights. After some Googleing it looks like a good soft solder job will do if done correctly. I just don't know what type of sights to start with to contour to the barrel anyone have any suggestions :D

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I would silver solder it and then touch it up with cold blue. Of course, you realize that it won't group very well now that there's no choke in the bbl. Yopu could simply drill and tap it for a bead.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Getting an exact match is not needed. Just get something designed for a 12 gauge barrel. To get the contour perfect before soldering, put a strip of sandpaper (I used 500 grit) along the end of the barrel grit side up, and sand the base.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Getting an exact match is not needed. Just get something designed for a 12 gauge barrel. To get the contour perfect before soldering, put a strip of sandpaper (I used 500 grit) along the end of the barrel grit side up, and sand the base.

Any suggestions on lining them up strait ?

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Any suggestions on lining them up strait ?

Keep in mind that I am a tinkerer, not a smith... so take the following with a grain of salt. Gunsmiths use a special jig. My method only works if you have a receiver top that is flat (or some other way to keep the receiver perfectly upright while upside down).

After contour sanding and surface prep, I tinned the bottom of the ramp with silver solder. I used a known flat surface (section of marble countertop) and placed the gun on top upside down. The gun is kept upside down/upright by the flat top picatinny rail (put on just for this operation -- my receiver came with pre-drilled/tapped holes). I then placed the ramp (tinned and re-fluxed) in its final position under the front of the barrel, using a section of square steel bar stock as a support under the ramp. At this point, everything should be perfectly lined up. Then all you need to do is take a torch to the barrel and heat it up until the solder flows ... the weight of the barrel keeps everything in place while soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom