• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    I'm taking it that it was your angry mom.

So that's why you're slandering the reputation of a shop that's been doing the right thing since the 1950s. Classy.

Next time check with the basement owner before you decide you need a gun. Rights come with responsibilities.

They denied me for being under 21 not because I lived in a College dorm then and was 19. They denied a friend of mine for being under 21 too.

I'm not slandering the reputation of a store here, they've done that themselves.

And if you want to get into semantics like the last guy, slander is by definition a lie. Is there anything wrong about what I said? They increased their minimum age to buy guns just like Dick's Sporting Goods. But since they've been around a long time I guess that makes it okay for them to do so.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    They denied me for being under 21 not because I lived in a College dorm then and was 19. They denied a friend of mine for being under 21 too.

I'm not slandering the reputation of a store here, they've done that themselves.

And if you want to get into semantics like the last guy, slander is by definition a lie. Is there anything wrong about what I said? They increased their minimum age to buy guns just like Dick's Sporting Goods. But since they've been around a long time I guess that makes it okay for them to do so.

Maybe they thought you were a bit immature to be armed?

Perhaps they thought they were acting responsibly under whatever circumstances prevailed. It's always tough to regain ground lost if your shop sells a firearm to someone who ends up abusing the right to bear. The media loves to assist in the destruction of the LGS.

Anyway, as your comments are written rather than spoken, libel would be the correct word. As a tort, libel is concerned with defaming a reputation. While you admit Atlantic was within its rights to decide whether to sell you an AR15, you choose to include them in the same set as the infamous Dick's.

But you're probably just jealous that they sold me a gun, and told the young you to take a walk. So despite all they've done for the shooting community in MD for three generations, you're fine with impugning their bona fides.

PM me your address and I'll send you a Binky.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,

I'll bet that you weren't supposed to have firearms in the dorm anyway, If it were me I wouldn't sell it to you even now just on the grounds that you sound like a spoiled brat that can't handle himself in public. You should get yourself a comfort pet rather than a gun .

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Maybe they thought you were a bit immature to be armed?

Perhaps they thought they were acting responsibly under whatever circumstances prevailed. It's always tough to regain ground lost if your shop sells a firearm to someone who ends up abusing the right to bear. The media loves to assist in the destruction of the LGS.

Anyway, as your comments are written rather than spoken, libel would be the correct word. As a tort, libel is concerned with defaming a reputation. While you admit Atlantic was within its rights to decide whether to sell you an AR15, you choose to include them in the same set as the infamous Dick's.

But you're probably just jealous that they sold me a gun, and told the young you to take a walk. So despite all they've done for the shooting community in MD for three generations, you're fine with impugning their bona fides.

PM me your address and I'll send you a Binky.

Nope, I came in and said I was interested in an AR 15. I looked my age back then and they asked how old I was. They apologized and said they policy was to not sell to those under 21 for the specified reasons.

I was responding to the other person who used the word slander in their post? Maybe your reading comprehension has diminished in your old age...

I'm very happy with my purchase elsewhere. I didn't know much about gun prices back then and from what I've seen and heard Atlantic is pretty expensive. I'm sure you're very proud of your overpriced rifles.

If you're interested in preventing people from exercising their constitutional rights until they're 21 I know an organization you'd probably like.
    https://momsdemandaction.org

I'm still waiting on an answer as to how Atlantic is working and has worked to protect my rights in this State.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm still waiting on an answer as to how Atlantic is working and has worked to protect my rights in this State.

For a guy smugly lecturing others about reading comprehension, you might want to buff up your own a bit. You don’t even have to stray past this thread, if you don’t have the Google skills.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    I'll bet that you weren't supposed to have firearms in the dorm anyway, If it were me I wouldn't sell it to you even now just on the grounds that you sound like a spoiled brat that can't handle himself in public. You should get yourself a comfort pet rather than a gun .

I seem to have upset a lot of Atlantic fans here. I'm sorry you think I'm entitled for thinking a policy based on the ideal laws mom's demand action is a bit unreasonable. I propose a store policy on the maximum age on gun purchases. They were probably too senile to own guns anyways or being unreasonable. And might live in a nursing home there might be some angry nursing aides coming in complaining.

Anyone over 50 is just entitled and spoiled to think a rule like that is unreasonable. After all this store has been open a long time and should be immune from criticism.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I seem to have upset a lot of Atlantic fans here. I'm sorry you think I'm entitled for thinking a policy based on the ideal laws mom's demand action is a bit unreasonable. I propose a store policy on the maximum age on gun purchases. They were probably too senile to own guns anyways.

Anyone over 50 is just entitled and spoiled to think a rule like that is unreasonable. After all this store has been open a long time and should be immune from criticism.

Wow, man. For a while there I thought you were just a troll. And then I figured you were just a hot-head who likes to rant about the unfairness of youth and probably came across exactly that way to a retailer that opted out of sending you out the door with a gun. Now I'm leaning back to troll.

The push-back you're getting has exactly nothing to do with Atlantic Guns. It's about you.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Wow, man. For a while there I thought you were just a troll. And then I figured you were just a hot-head who likes to rant about the unfairness of youth and probably came across exactly that way to a retailer that opted out of sending you out the door with a gun. Now I'm leaning back to troll.

The push-back you're getting has exactly nothing to do with Atlantic Guns. It's about you.

Believe what you like.

But its not just me that doesn't like Atlantic. Look at their reviews online. Why are they consistently lower rated that almost every other gun store in this state.

There are problems at Atlantic you can't chalk up to so some fantasized idea of unemployed entitled millenials who live with their parents.

Their prices are not competitive within the state. They offer less gunsmithing services than other stores. They keep their selection of C&R Guns in the back unlike other nearby stores. And I'm willing to bet their transfer fees are still $50+ while other stores are $40. The gentleman I talked to in the store was nothing but polite even if I dislike their policy their customer service is better than other stores in certain cases. But that's not enough to make them competitive apparently.

If you want to be dogmatic in your support of a store fine. But don't ask me to lie prostrate at your favorite gun stores feet because they've been around a long time.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Bad as you feel they are, somehow they seem to stay in business.

Bad as the "online reviews" apparently are, they seem to garner a fair amount of support here, online.

All those nasty old guys ganging up on you without first posting a Trigger Warning is just not what you've become accustomed to in your circumscribed young life. It's just not fair!

After all, what matters is your opinion, founded as it is on your original search into their ageist policies, and your followup investigation into the objections presented regarding your statements.

Eventually we'll all come round to realise that yes, they're just as bad as the infamous Mothers Against Your Owning a Gun. I speak for all of us when I thank you for the received wisdom you provide. Out of the proverbial mouths of babes.

So, about that Binky . . .

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Bad as you feel they are, somehow they seem to stay in business.

Bad as the "online reviews" apparently are, they seem to garner a fair amount of support here, online.

All those nasty old guys ganging up on you without first posting a Trigger Warning is just not what you've become accustomed to in your circumscribed young life. It's just not fair!

After all, what matters is your opinion, founded as it is on your original search into their ageist policies, and your followup investigation into the objections presented regarding your statements.

Eventually we'll all come round to realise that yes, they're just as bad as the infamous Mothers Against Your Owning a Gun. I speak for all of us when I thank you for the received wisdom you provide. Out of the proverbial mouths of babes.

So, about that Binky . . .

Are you delusional? They are closing one of their stores. They are actively downsizing to stay in business. They are not doing well and if they continue on this trend they might go out of business permenantly. All the good will they've garnered on here doesn't pay the bills.

If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore how their policies and prices are affecting their business keep on doing so. But don't be suprised when you have to drive to another gun store in 5-10 years if they go out of business.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I seem to have upset a lot of Atlantic fans here. I'm sorry you think I'm entitled for thinking a policy based on the ideal laws mom's demand action is a bit unreasonable. I propose a store policy on the maximum age on gun purchases. They were probably too senile to own guns anyways or being unreasonable. And might live in a nursing home there might be some angry nursing aides coming in complaining.

The policy of requiring you be over 21 goes back to the 1950's and it was based on the fact that if you were under 21 and living in your parents house it was their house their rules if they were okay with you having a gun no big deal but if they weren't than it was a big deal to take the gun back because just like when you buy a car and roll of the dealers lot it's used , Same with guns maybe more so since the serial number is tracked . Because they now have to sell it as a used gun doesn't matter if you didn't shoot it it was logged out of the dealers book to a individual so if comes back it has to be logged in coming from a individual so that had warranty implications as they are warranted to the original owner . I'm sure there are some that would take it back and sell it for new but those shops with that kind of integrity are not were I'll shop simply can't trust them . So you and your friend got turned way and now your all butt hurt because some kid and his parents created a problem that created their policy and there policy is not aimed at 2A like Dicks

Atlantic Guns

Industry Partner
    Feb 28, 2019
    Rockville and Silver Spring
    Much has been said about our policy on long gun sales to persons under the age of 21.

Since 1950 our policy has been to sell firearms to qualified responsible adults and we support them in exercising their lawful rights. If a person under 21 is living in their parent’s home, we require acknowledgement from their parent that a firearm will be allowed in the home. Our exception to this policy is for those in the military or law enforcement. This policy does not apply to persons between 18 and 21 who are living independently. We understand that not everyone is happy with this, but we feel this is a reasonable and responsible policy.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Much has been said about our policy on long gun sales to persons under the age of 21.

Since 1950 our policy has been to sell firearms to qualified responsible adults and we support them in exercising their lawful rights. If a person under 21 is living in their parent’s home, we require acknowledgement from their parent that a firearm will be allowed in the home. Our exception to this policy is for those in the military or law enforcement. This policy does not apply to persons between 18 and 21 who are living independently. We understand that not everyone is happy with this, but we feel this is a reasonable and responsible policy.

OMG a reasonable policy OMG!

I also suspect that a lot of people have no idea how much of a judgement call EVERY sale is. The consequences of making a bad call aren’t trivial. Totally understand this specific policy, and if the invisible hand of the market couldn’t tolerate it, that would have been clear many, many years ago.

Atlantic Guns

Industry Partner
    Feb 28, 2019
    Rockville and Silver Spring
    Nope, I came in and said I was interested in an AR 15. I looked my age back then and they asked how old I was. They apologized and said they policy was to not sell to those under 21 for the specified reasons.

I was responding to the other person who used the word slander in their post? Maybe your reading comprehension has diminished in your old age...

I'm very happy with my purchase elsewhere. I didn't know much about gun prices back then and from what I've seen and heard Atlantic is pretty expensive. I'm sure you're very proud of your overpriced rifles.

If you're interested in preventing people from exercising their constitutional rights until they're 21 I know an organization you'd probably like.
    https://momsdemandaction.org

Over many years Atlantic Guns has always stood up and dedicated countless hours and resources to numerous efforts to protect our Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

In the 1960’s Montgomery County was contemplating Draconian gun legislation and our founder George Schneider served on the ad hoc committee which helped defeat those efforts.

In the early 1980’s Montgomery County passed a ban on the sale of ammunition and Atlantic Guns was the plaintiff who prevailed in a lawsuit against the county.

In 1987 Atlantic Guns was a founding member of the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association, and has been a leader of the organization. Over the years MLFDA has been instrumental in leading the fight to protect Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

During the 2013 legislative session, Atlantic Guns was one of a very few Maryland dealers who spent countless hours meeting with legislators. As much as we are not happy with the law, had we not invested so much of our time, the law would have been much more restrictive.

When the 2013 assault weapons ban was passed, Atlantic Guns was one of the plaintiffs who challenged the law all the way to the Fourth Circuit. We actively supported the efforts of our legal team and were present in court every step of the way.

Currently, Atlantic Guns is the only dealer who is a plaintiff in a challenge to the Maryland’s HQL requirements.

In Maryland we face significant political challenges to our rights and fighting them takes a tremendous amount of time and energy. Atlantic Guns is proud to be doing all we can to make a difference.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County

I brought my daughter in to Atlantic on her 18 birthday to have her buy her first gun. I was at first surprised at the policy but after giving it some thought it is a fantastic business decision! I was more than please to state in the affirmative that I was OK with her making the purchase. It was not a problem at all it would only be an issue if I had an objection and the policy was not in place.
    My house my rules.
    I have a rule about NO tattoos while you are under my roof and I think tattoo parlor should follow this particular business model. If I have no objection to that tattoo then I am happy to OK it, but if I have an objection it saves the battle at home. an 18 year old that lives at home and has a house rule against firearms is well served by the policy. Avoid the mistake and get Mom or Dad to agree before the purchase is made. Look forward to the new location, thanks for continuing to operate in the County

scjamesm

Nov 10, 2016
    Charles Town, WV

Over many years Atlantic Guns has always stood up and dedicated countless hours and resources to numerous efforts to protect our Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

In the 1960’s Montgomery County was contemplating Draconian gun legislation and our founder George Schneider served on the ad hoc committee which helped defeat those efforts.

In the early 1980’s Montgomery County passed a ban on the sale of ammunition and Atlantic Guns was the plaintiff who prevailed in a lawsuit against the county.

In 1987 Atlantic Guns was a founding member of the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association, and has been a leader of the organization. Over the years MLFDA has been instrumental in leading the fight to protect Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

During the 2013 legislative session, Atlantic Guns was one of a very few Maryland dealers who spent countless hours meeting with legislators. As much as we are not happy with the law, had we not invested so much of our time, the law would have been much more restrictive.

When the 2013 assault weapons ban was passed, Atlantic Guns was one of the plaintiffs who challenged the law all the way to the Fourth Circuit. We actively supported the efforts of our legal team and were present in court every step of the way.

Currently, Atlantic Guns is the only dealer who is a plaintiff in a challenge to the Maryland’s HQL requirements.

In Maryland we face significant political challenges to our rights and fighting them takes a tremendous amount of time and energy. Atlantic Guns is proud to be doing all we can to make a difference.

I would like to buy a gun from you guys if it would help business. I know the owners from a while back ago(though it's been a while since I actually spoke to them). James Martin

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

I applaud your efforts to help us all! Thank you. I never had a bad experience there and that is more than I can say for several other guns shops around MD.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,

I'm glad that you have spoken up and filled in the blanks , I hope you keep us in the loop with your plans and so we can continue to patron your shop and hope you join the Industry Partners forums here as so many others have .
    I just looked at Industry Partners and you are in there Good on you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom