• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I agree with this post. I shopped there years ago, but found better service and prices elsewhere.

My FIL purchased a gun a few years ago and was going to make the purchase from Atlantic Guns just because he knew about them from driving by their shop for years. I mentioned that he should give Engage a shot, and after he stopped in, he called me up to thank me for the recommendation. He loved the service and attention the guys at Engage gave him. He went back and bought several more guns from Engage after that, all because of good service

So tell me how you found the service not to your liking do you require them to walk the store with you in case you want to touch something , to explain all the products as you walk along , For me I don't like that Used Car Salesman type treatment . A Hi or nod after eye contact is all I want till I want to see something in the case than I ask him to open the case . As for their prices look were they are it's not some low rent off the beaten path industrial park.
    One the largest inventory of guns on hand available for you to hold and feel to help you with your discussion . To have the selection of used guns they have is way bigger than any other shop I've seen in MD. I have to say some of the staff do a better job then others .

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Engage seems to have a much friendlier attitude towards their customers and works hard to earn your business.

I bought one pistol from AG. Most of my other purchases are from Engage.

Just my experiences. YMMV

My second trip to them left me shaking my head , They were friendly enough but when I asked to see one of those 14 'Mossburg he said that they were out of them and they were junk and I should wait for the Remington one . So why would you say something that you sell is junk ? ,

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Engage seems to have a much friendlier attitude towards their customers and works hard to earn your business.

I bought one pistol from AG. Most of my other purchases are from Engage.

Just my experiences. YMMV
    Waaaaaaay back when, Engage was not quite as friendly as it is now. But Andy did amazing work when he took over the store, and it's now excellent. Stores can change, but not all of them do, unfortunately.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I found both Andy and Ted to be easy to deal with when they were in Kensington and in the newer location in Rockville.

I don’t really have any experience with them prior to 2009

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My second trip to them left me shaking my head , They were friendly enough but when I asked to see one of those 14 'Mossburg he said that they were out of them and they were junk and I should wait for the Remington one . So why would you say something that you sell is junk ? ,

No idea. Perhaps it was to give you a better alternative that would not result in you being an unhappy customer?

You can sell multiple brands but give recommendations that might result in a better customers experience.

I know Chevy truck sales guys who will tell you go buy a GMC in certain situations.

Just about giving customers choices

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I don't see why everyone is debating. The market spoke and they lost.

Can't afford the rent? Find a place that you can afford. The Rockville location is literally 5 minutes from Engage. Plenty of places available off East Gude. If your "good ol boy" customer base is so good it won't matter that you're 5 mins away.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I don't see why everyone is debating. The market spoke and they lost.

Can't afford the rent? Find a place that you can afford. The Rockville location is literally 5 minutes from Engage. Plenty of places available off East Gude. If your "good ol boy" customer base is so good it won't matter that you're 5 mins away.

I think it's more than just market , More likely Law's , Poor staffing choices , Over stayed the location in it changed and they didn't , Not moving forward with business trends , Very late to the game as far as online sales and website use ,I understand that they don't want to pay for experienced tech savvy staff to support those venues . So it's more than rent and market and if the current bills become Law you'll see a lot more go

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think it's more than just market , More likely Law's , Poor staffing choices , Over stayed the location in it changed and they didn't , Not moving forward with business trends , Very late to the game as far as online sales and website use ,I understand that they don't want to pay for experienced tech savvy staff to support those venues . So it's more than rent and market and if the current bills become Law you'll see a lot more go

I feel bad about the silver spring location. A lot of my coworkers really like them and they once bent over backwards for me on a nonsale. The Rockville store is a peed on turd. They didn’t have a chance once engage and united opened up so close.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    The SS location treated me right. Friend of mine went to the Rockville location and got decent service as well.

Only thing I didn't like was the lack of parking. Not keen on parking a couple of streets over and walking back with gun bag in full view.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The SS location treated me right. Friend of mine went to the Rockville location and got decent service as well.

Only thing I didn't like was the lack of parking. Not keen on parking a couple of streets over and walking back with gun bag in full view.

I always dislike Atlantic's Rockville parking situation, too. I mean, there's plenty of it. But it's dangerously close to the Pope Yes at the end of the strip, and who doesn't like some fried chicken?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Waaaaaaay back when, Engage was not quite as friendly as it is now. But Andy did amazing work when he took over the store, and it's now excellent. Stores can change, but not all of them do, unfortunately.

Super Tacticool need only apply. Yes that attitude seemed to vanish and I even bought a Rimfire rife there, great deal.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Nope. Not buying it. Especially the Loyal Old Customer crap. Treat everyone with respect. It was their choice to drop everything and all of the staff talk to a Good Ol Boy when he came in and ignore me. I’d bought there before (AND NEVER WILL AGAIN) and my father had been going there since the 80s.

If they want to stay open after downsizing, they need to get rid of their attitude. As for prices, the market will sort that out.

Well said. Some shops need to change their attitude. You want my business, I don’t have to shop at your store! You need to make me want to spend money in your store, period.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I bought my first ever handgun at the Rockville location and the person who helped me was quite friendly and helpful. But when I went back to purchase my second handgun from them about a year later, the salesperson was clearly not interested in helping me handle and feel the three options I was looking at, but wanted me up to just buy the one that he was pushing. I wound up getting a Beretta which was my first choice (I do not remember what he was trying to get me to purchase). I might have gone back there again despite that guy but by then I had joined MDS and discovered Engage. Engage has now become my go-to LGS and they treat me very well. I do not go there very often but whenever I do, they still recognize me and ask about previous firearms and suppressors that I have bought from them.

However, warts and all, I will always have fond memories of AG/Rockville since it was the first store I purchased a handgun in. I am sorry to hear that they will be shutting down that store. I wish them well in their new location.

Cal68

Sad to see if this is the case. My family history runs very deep with the Schneider family, way back to their old store in DC. I think just about all the old horses are gone from Silver Spring, and I never did business at Rockville so no idea how they are. Yeah sometimes their prices were higher but I always enjoyed going there, and my first purchases were made through them, so hopefully they don't disappear completely.

EDIT: For those who still go and have problems parking. I almost always park in the parking garage of Safeway at the bottom of the hill. Been doing it for years without a problem

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Seeing the complaints about this store and a whole thread against my favorite LGS I have to ask.... is there a Gun Shop in MD people actually like?

And please do not mention the one that posted my real name here on the forum from an invoice.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    So last night I was out and bumped into one of the guys that had been working at Atlantic Guns and we started talking and almost fell over when he told me that they plan on closing both stores between May and July , They plan on downsizing at a new location somewhere a cross from King Farms on 355 in Rockville , It seems that declining sales lack of parking mostly at Silver Spring along with the coming Metro Purple Line down Bonifant St. making it one way with no street parking . He also said that the current bills banning HBAR's would really hurt there sales , They had gotten some makers to put HBAR on guns just so they could sell them in MD. now that will go away . I see that Hendershots is in a similar condition . I hate to see the Silver Spring store go.

Maybe they wouldnt have to close these locations if they actually sold the HBAR's to people of legal age to buy them. I was turned away when I asked to buy an HBAR AR15 from them. I was told as a policy they don't sell AR's to people under 21. I went over to Engage Armament and United Gunshop and they both didn't add any additional restrictions on already burned Maryland gun owners.

I don't know if they've changed their policy in the years since I tried to buy from them but excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I used Engage to consummate a Silencer Shop purchase. That was a pretty hostile experience, including parts missing from an obviously pawed-through box. The factory took care of it, Engage was actively dis-interested. Three subsequent stops in - cash literally in hand - to consider in-stock rifles, and couldn't get anyone at the counter to give me the time of day. The dog was super friendly, but he didn't have opposable thumbs. Conversely, I've never failed to get friendly help at either Atlantic location for decades straight. So: sizing up an LGS based on anecdotal testimony from any few vocal discussion forum examples is a fool's errand.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Maybe they wouldnt have to close these locations if they actually sold the HBAR's to people of legal age to buy them. I was turned away when I asked to buy an HBAR AR15 from them. I was told as a policy they don't sell AR's to people under 21. I went over to Engage Armament and United Gunshop and they both didn't add any additional restrictions on already burned Maryland gun owners.

I don't know if they've changed their policy in the years since I tried to buy from them but excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

They had a policy in place back when I bought my first gun that even if you were of age they wouldn't sell it to you if you still lived at home with your parents unless they okayed it , That stemmed from altercations with irate parents because they didn't want guns in their house and that seems reasonable .

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom