• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have updated my first paragraph to reflect the new language in the MSP bulletin.

I recently received two 5320.20s disapprovals for my AR-15 SBRs that I would like to take to MD. MD law is quite confusing, but I believe the wrong criteria was applied resulting in an incorrect disapproval. Before going over the criteria, I would also point to Maryland State Police bulletin LD-FRU-15-004 (included with this letter) which says that short barreled rifles and shotguns are illegal if they meet the definition of a copycat weapon. As I will prove below, my AR-15 SRBs do not meet this definition. They also say that any SBR offered for sale by a dealer is no longer required to be on the handgun roster, which would imply that SBRs are legal for sale by dealers in MD. I am not a dealer so the roster requirement doesn’t apply. The ATF has also approved many AR-15s and AKs in the same configuration as mine in MD this year alone, and can be purchased from MD dealers. The MSP bulletin also gives a phone number for contact MD Firearms Registration Unit.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I spoke with Terry W, the examiner that denied my form. I told him basically the same gun is for sale right now at my local gun store, and he told me that the ATF interpretation says SBRs are legal for sale to resident but not legal for non residents to bring into the state. Now, I don't see anything in the law that says that a gun legal for a MD resident to buy is banned from being brought it in, but I could tell this wouldn't work.

Instead I asked if my father is a legal MD resident and on the trust, why he can't bring the gun into MD that he already owns but he can buy a new one.

He told me to resubmit with a letter and documentation showing he is on the trust and the legal department would look at it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Given the expense of dealing with NFA weapons in the first place, why not get a lawyer who is familiaar with the MD regs to go to the mat with BATF? Most gov institutions pay closer attention to legal counsel than they do to the masses of the great unwashed.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I spoke with Terry W, the examiner that denied my form. I told him basically the same gun is for sale right now at my local gun store, and he told me that the ATF interpretation says SBRs are legal for sale to resident but not legal for non residents to bring into the state. Now, I don't see anything in the law that says that a gun legal for a MD resident to buy is banned from being brought it in, but I could tell this wouldn't work.

Instead I asked if my father is a legal MD resident and on the trust, why he can't bring the gun into MD that he already owns but he can buy a new one.

He told me to resubmit with a letter and documentation showing he is on the trust and the legal department would look at it.

That is insane. Now you know why I gave up. Props to you for still trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Given the expense of dealing with NFA weapons in the first place, why not get a lawyer who is familiaar with the MD regs to go to the mat with BATF? Most gov institutions pay closer attention to legal counsel than they do to the masses of the great unwashed.

Because a lawyer is more expensive than the gun.

Most of the NFA lawyers I talked about knew less about NFA then people on this forum.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Most of the NFA lawyers I talked about knew less about NFA then people on this forum.

That's because most "NFA lawyers" don't actually own NFA items and don't run the risk of going to prison if they get it wrong. We do.

;)

JsbsMarine

Sep 11, 2015
    Glad I saw this thread, wll be submitting 5320s for sbr and MGs into MD from VA. Will see what the results are in a few weeks.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Since your father is on the trust as an owner I'd probably just register a lower to leave at his house. Then you can just transport uppers back and forth.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The thing I don't get is that Federally registered SBR's are legal in MD accoding to SS 5-203

There is no mention of a 29" OAL requirement in that statute

So if it's legal, what grounds is BATFE using to reject 5320.20's. ?

It might be illegal to make one now, but according to the statute if it's Federally registered it's legal in MD.

seeno. 2

Attachments

• sbr.jpg
      sbr.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 460

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The thing I don't get is that Federally registered SBR's are legal in MD accoding to SS 5-203

There is no mention of a 29" OAL requirement in that statute

So if it's legal, what grounds is BATFE using to reject 5320.20's. ?

ATF is going by MSP's guidance. Under the FSA 2013, it's illegal to make a new banned assault weapon in Maryland. If a centerfire, semiautomatic rifle that accepts detachable magazines is less than 29" in OAL, it is banned as a "copycat assault weapon."

Since ATF says that when you build an SBR you are "making" a new firearm, it is illegal to make an SBR that is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines that has an OAL of less than 29", because you are making a banned firearm post 10/1/13.

You can (and people here have) still make an SBR in Maryland that's rimfire, or not semi-auto, or the like, with an OAL of less than 29".

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    well, what if the SBR was registered by BATFE prior to 10-1-13?

that doesn't make it illegal to either the MSP or BATFE.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    well, what if the SBR was registered by BATFE prior to 10-1-13?

Then it should be totally fine.

What EricOak should do is probably to get the section of FSA2013 that deals with the fact that rifles possessed prior to that date being legal to bring to Maryland and send that to ATF.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just got great news!

Sent a letter to the ATF legal department stating my case in December and just got a call from the ATF. They now have a MD Liason responsible for determining what is MD legal and he agreed that my configuration was legal and that any configuration you can buy in state can be transported into MD.

He told me to resubmit and it will be approved.

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I just got great news!

Sent a letter to the ATF legal department stating my case in December and just got a call from the ATF. They now have a MD Liason responsible for determining what is MD legal and he agreed that my configuration was legal and that any configuration you can buy in state can be transported into MD.

He told me to resubmit and it will be approved.

Thanks for posting. I will do the same. Good luck to us both :thumbsup:

wow. awesome news. I PM'ed Rouchna

Thank you Sir.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's re-****** rediculous! They had to assign a Md "liaison" to interpret Md gun law? Wtf? I know...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    BATFE was rejecting 5320.20's for SBR's OAL <29" that were legallly possessed before 10-1-13.

In spite of the MD statute saying federally registered SBR's are legal in MD.

We're dealing with idiots here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom