• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    ATF Seeks 'Massive' Database of Personal Info: 'Assets, Relatives, Associates and More'

On March 28, ATF posted the notice on FedBizOpps.gov, entitled "Investigative System." The solicitation was updated on April 5 with a few minor changes.

The system "provides a means to rapidly check records across the country" and is "necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

So long MDS ... It's been great knowing ya'll. :tinfoil:

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    I't seems more like its hardware and software for processing data over large networks. "Harvesting" information and "correlating" it seem to be the main purpose. :tinfoil:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    We're turning into the Soviet Union.

And nobody seems to give a flying f**k.

This is sickening.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Do not fool yourself if you don't think "other FEDS" don't already have and use databases with much "private" information. What they know about us is appalling...and may or may not be legal. Makes McCarthy era pale in comparison. Less is more when it comes to on line ANYTHING.

Except in the 'McCarthy era' it was 'us' watching 'them' and not the other way around. Once the progressives wrested control of the gov'mnt, they have turned the tables and are acquiring newer technology toys to do so.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Google does it.
    Of course the gov does.
    It's the department of future crime prevention.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I't seems more like its hardware and software for processing data over large networks. "Harvesting" information and "correlating" it seem to be the main purpose. :tinfoil:

And what is really curious about all of this is that almost EVERY information technology position posted on USAjobs requires an active TS/SCI clearance or above, regardless of the agency posting it.

But I'm prepared ...

Attachments

• Tin Foil House.jpg
      Tin Foil House.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 268

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Simply put, I know that they must have quite a collection on me. I have been through so many investigations just for clearances, not to mention my belief in individual liberty. F'em. They can go read my file again.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    And what is really curious about all of this is that almost EVERY information technology position posted on USAjobs requires an active TS/SCI clearance or above, regardless of the agency posting it.

But I'm prepared ...

That is because most of those jobs involve working on the system(s) for an agency in some capacity that involve sensitive information of some type (like even a new IT tech for networks having access to Active Directory, or a sys admin assigning role-based access to employees). Higher-level techs/personnel work on everything from policy (day-to-day ops, threat prevention/reaction/reduction, etc) to designing new systems or integrating old systems with new technologies (just to show the tip of the iceberg). All this is info that adversaries of various stripes could use to breach a system. Put the tinfoil away on that one, my friend.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Yeppers ...

That is because most of those jobs involve working on the system(s) for an agency in some capacity that involve sensitive information of some type (like even a new IT tech for networks having access to Active Directory, or a sys admin assigning role-based access to employees). Higher-level techs/personnel work on everything from policy (day-to-day ops, threat prevention/reaction/reduction, etc) to designing new systems or integrating old systems with new technologies (just to show the tip of the iceberg). All this is info that adversaries of various stripes could use to breach a system. Put the tinfoil away on that one, my friend.

All that and a bag of chips ...

Agreed, but it cuts both ways. One is 'need to know', the other 'privacy'.

Just taking the 'no fly list' debacles of TSA for example, you never know what data is being correlated, or how, or what will be done with it after a 'hit' is made. Having 35+ years in IT, I have a pretty good understanding of what used to be called AI (now splintered into multiple disciplines, mostly web-based). It will never be perfect.

Given that 4A has been all but rendered moot by NDAA, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that innocent persons will get caught in the same web as the 'bad guys'. In one of my more skeptical moods, I would almost think that it's by design by a gov'mnt who tells it's sheeple, "If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't have anything to worry about." Just being on MDS might someday mean that you have something to hide.

But, me and Puss-Puss will survive ...

Attachments

• tinfoilhat1.jpg
      tinfoilhat1.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 179
    Feb 28, 2013
    "If you don't have anything to hide, you don't have anything to worry about".

And that there is the ultimate slippery slope. Once we start down that road, which as far as I'm concerned we already have, then any agency or legislature can pass any new regulation or law no matter how intrusive, on that basis alone.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Those types of systems have existed and have been used at all levels of lawenforcement/ government for years. I have used them myself, and they provide an obscene amount of private info at the click of a mouse.

See Accurint, or Auto Track for examples.

Whith these utilities, LE and even private companies can get your name, SSN, DOB, address, cars and property owned, cars owned, relatives out to 5 degrees, associates, neighbors, and the same aforementioned info on them, corporate affiliations, judgements, professional licenses and lots lots more.

Such a search takes about 30 seconds......

The Fed is just tired of paying search fees to third party vendors and wants their own in-house system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom