• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    I haven’t read the 200+ pages, just a quick glance. Can’t see why you would have to destroy the brace as it itself is not illegal.
    I agree, but the wording said to dispose of or alter.

3. Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached, thereby removingthe weapon from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA. The Department recognizes that the removal of a “stabilizing brace” from a firearm that was originally received as a “short-barreled rifle” results in the production of a “weapon made from a rifle,” as defined by the NFA. However,theDepartmentin its enforcement discretion will allow persons to reconfigure the firearm to a pistol by [INSERT DATE 120 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER] and will not require the registration of these firearms as a “weapon made from a rifle.”

I would also think modifying the buffer tube would be like modifying a lower to not accept a short barrel upper.

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    I agree, but the wording said to dispose of or alter.

3. Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached, thereby removingthe weapon from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA. The Department recognizes that the removal of a “stabilizing brace” from a firearm that was originally received as a “short-barreled rifle” results in the production of a “weapon made from a rifle,” as defined by the NFA. However,theDepartmentin its enforcement discretion will allow persons to reconfigure the firearm to a pistol by [INSERT DATE 120 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER] and will not require the registration of these firearms as a “weapon made from a rifle.”

I would also think modifying the buffer tube would be like modifying a lower to not accept a short barrel upper.
    Actually, after reading the rest of that paragraph, why in the world would you need to remove a brace from a currently stamped SBR?

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    Actually, after reading the rest of that paragraph, why in the world would you need to remove a brace from a currently stamped SBR?
    IANAL but I would agree. They seem to now be classifying the brace (when installed) as a stock, and since a stamped SBR can have a stock, it's ok I guess. But why have a brace on a SBR when you can have a stock?

Last edited:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The MGA is currently in session. In theory, it should be an easy bill to draft to clarify that the 29" rule doesn't apply to firearms registered as SBRs.

But then again...we live in Maryland...
    The distinction and reason for the change would be completely lost on the average MGA tyrant.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So, if a braced pistol was bought as a pistol can you swap out barrels and make it a rifle now?

FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.
    So, if a braced pistol was bought as a pistol can you swap out barrels and make it a rifle now?
    If you register it, You probably can for longer pistols. Some were designed for shorter barrels (5.5”) and have specially designed buffer springs and bolt carriers and I don’t think replacing the barrel would work with those.

Attachments

• 0BF73D2B-423B-4370-9815-C8DA5FAD1AB9.png
      0BF73D2B-423B-4370-9815-C8DA5FAD1AB9.png
      149.8 KB · Views: 75
    • 4BE2C45B-8A8F-4E07-893B-11F30A3858E1.png
      4BE2C45B-8A8F-4E07-893B-11F30A3858E1.png
      213.6 KB · Views: 73

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm sure it's been brought up but I'm lazy. What about pistols that can't meet 29" in maryland?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm sure it's been brought up but I'm lazy. What about pistols that can't meet 29" in maryland?

There's a thread for that

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I would imagine much like states with no, SBRs...figure out a way to make it comply or you're SOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom