• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    If our country still has any justice left, this ATF rule will never stand up in court.

District of Columbia v. Heller​

JAIME CAETANO v. MASSACHUSETTS

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen​

They are going to keep poking the bear. The left is trying to manipulate definitions to fall within existing laws because they know that they don't have the support to create new anti-gun laws. What they don't understand is that Republicans as well as lots of democrats don't support these anti 2nd Amendment shenanigans. This current regime is going to screw around just enough for this whole movement to blow up in their collective pasty faces. The vast pro gun community will rise up and overturn the 1934 NFA and the 1968 gun control acts. You can't change a definition to fit a law that doesn't exist!

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There should be sufficient folks with standing to sue. My 300BO with a 7.5" bbl will never pass muster in MD. Paying to rebuild with a pistol buffer would be annoying; so would trashing my braces, in the interest of "constructive possession" charges.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I agree it's all speculation right now. But imma be real pissed if I get a 10.5 lower and then have to register it as a SBR and its not MD compliant if it's under 29". I just want some clear answers before I but my upper kit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    A 10.5 inch upper will make 29" OAL with a VLTOR A5 buffer tube. An A5 buffer tube, A5 buffer, and rifle spring will set you back about $100, though.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    So will CNN (or GOA) spin this as the “ATF allowing millions of short barreled rifles to be made by waving the fee”?

Could we use this as a way to shame them into retracting the rule?

Sent from my iBunker using Tapatalk Pro

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know where I can find where it spells out the 29" OAL is with the stock/brace extended in order to be MD compliant?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    ATF. That is how they measure SBRs. I am not sure which regulation or technical branch bulletin it is in. Maryland just says 29" OAL. It does not say in law or COMAR how that is measured. The ATF does spell out how the technical branch measures to determine the OAL of a firearm. And it is with any stock of brace full extended to the end of any permanently attached muzzle device and spells out how they define permanently attached for a muzzle device (pin and welded or silver soldered effectively).

MD is mum. I suppose it is possible MSP will decide to do something different than ATF and decide to charge you because they think it should be the OAL with stock or brace fully retracted.

For an SBR though, it is ATF approving it, and they won't if it is shorter than 29" OAL by their metrics.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    so if I am reading this right, all my 2013 stripped lowers should be submitted to ATF as SBRs?????

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    What would happen if someone registered 16 and 20 inch braced pistols. According to Maryland there is no maximum length for a pistol, is there? What would that do to the atf registry?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What would happen if someone registered 16 and 20 inch braced pistols. According to Maryland there is no maximum length for a pistol, is there? What would that do to the atf registry?
    Genius, only own SBRs LOL

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    so if I am reading this right, all my 2013 stripped lowers should be submitted to ATF as SBRs?????
    Only if you want them to become post-2013 SBRs. The Sig brace only came out in mid-2013, you could not really claim it was in that configuration prior to the ban.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Great video on the Pistol Brace Amnesty

This is completely ridiculous. This brace rule will never work. Pandora's box is open and this is with out question unenforceable. There is no way for the ATF to have any idea who took the braces off and who left them on.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Nah, they will just let local LEOs do it one at a time when someone gets caught with one at the range or in their car.
    Maybe, but folks could just take them off.

Just under half of the States and over half of the individual counties in the USA are 2nd amendment sanctuaries. I don't know about all of them, but here in Texas, it prohibits local and state law enforcement to help the ATF arrest anyone on a federal charge that is not also specifically illegal in the state of Texas, and pistol arm braces are not illegal in Texas.

Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Maybe, but folks could just take them off.

Just under half of the States and over half of the individual counties in the USA are 2nd amendment sanctuaries. I don't know about all of them, but here in Texas, it prohibits local and state law enforcement to help the ATF arrest anyone on a federal charge that is not also specifically illegal in the state of Texas, and pistol arm braces are not illegal in Texas.
    Ima like Texas--- :rockon::rasp::tongue01:

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    That's an exceedingly shortsighted plan.

Well, until it's called unconstitutional, in which case I get my $0 back. I see this as an opportunity to to take a 11.5" pistol I own, put a stock on it, and be legal all the way around.

Where you're coming from isn't lost on me, but I will take legal advantage of every shortsighted fvckup they make and play within the rules.

Otherwise it's back to the pistol buffer with the foam pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom