• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So is there any timeframe we can expect the final ruling on this? For braces or the ruling on 80% receivers?

funny you should ask

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/09/do...ocess-211k-stabilizer-comments/#axzz77yByRKFQ

they do not seem to have even committed to getting to all 211k comments by Jan 2022.

It really depends on how long it takes to go through all of the comments. As a matter of perspective the bump stock NPRM was publish 29 March 2018. The final rule was published 26 Dec 2018 with the rule taking effect 90 days later on 26 March 2019. Assuming a similar timeframe, a final rule will likely be published around the May 2022 timeframe, with the rule taking effect 90 days later.

The Jan 2022 date is simply the Court wanting a update to the process and has nothing to do with how quickly the ATF will resolve the rulemaking process.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    aka, "It was super helpful for all those brace owners to identify themselves for us. We've been working hard to create a database of them". Lolz.... just kidding.... hopefully.

They'd better not send men with families. Down here in Miz'ippah I'd say about 10% of the houses they'd 'visit' would make Ruby Ridge look like a joke. Plus, without a doubt in my mind, aside from cities, no non-federal law enforcement would dare cooperate. There is a long history of non-compliance with outsiders - mostly bad history, but history none the less.

In the rural areas, unlike cities or the suburbs, it would also be difficult to get in close unnoticed for a raid on a house. Hard to sneak up on a farm house on 100 acres of open fields. Hard to sneak up on a cabin in the woods. Impossible to sneak up on a hunting camp (where some of my friends spend a full month a year, even outside of the hunting season.)

It's also, in my experience, difficult to find a lot of people down here. Unlike up north, even when I'm trying to meet up with friends it can be tough to track them down. Many own multiple properties, hunting cabins with no paper trails, or regularly stay with extended families. Even if they tried to get warrants to track cell phones, the signal coverage down here is so sketch that it could be difficult to surprise someone because you'd hear about no-knock raids long before they could get more than a few people. As things have escalated since the 'Rona, many people down here have started getting burner phones anyway. Some of these hill-folk are surprisingly well versed in VPN usage.

In my neck of the woods, there is no effective government presence. The road is repaired by private citizens using a box-blade on the road. The police are simply never called - I kid you not when I say that a lot of problems end up in holes. One of my closest friends had a family member that put a problem in a hole (granted that was back in the 70s, when things were way sketchier than they are now). Many blighted drug-houses are torched by concerned citizens.

Having only known the North and Suburbia, I had no knowledge of how things work out in the sticks. Unless people out here are secretly rich and have registered NFA weapons, I'd say the full-auto fire I occasionally hear is probably of the DIY variety. Up north I was maybe in the top 10% on the 'hardliner' scale, down here I may very well be below the median.

I was trying to find a church, so visited several with co-workers and neighbors. In the wake of recent events, many sermons had a strong message about actively preparing to fight what they feel is a no-BS anti-Christ level attack on the religious. While Mormons, for example, have always prepared for a famine, these southern folks are preparing for a holy war with comparable zeal.

Anyway, back on topic, with so many pistol braces in circulation, how have we not crossed over into the "Common Usage" category?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Anyway, back on topic, with so many pistol braces in circulation, how have we not crossed over into the "Common Usage" category?

When every major AR manufacturer makes a pistol version, many using the sba3, and magazines are regularly dedicating entire months to them.... yeah, it's going to be tough arguing that they are NOT in common use.

Attachments

• 20181221_090146_20181221092039924.jpg
      20181221_090146_20181221092039924.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 379

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    They'd better not send men with families. Down here in Miz'ippah I'd say about 10% of the houses they'd 'visit' would make Ruby Ridge look like a joke. Plus, without a doubt in my mind, aside from cities, no non-federal law enforcement would dare cooperate. There is a long history of non-compliance with outsiders - mostly bad history, but history none the less.

In the rural areas, unlike cities or the suburbs, it would also be difficult to get in close unnoticed for a raid on a house. Hard to sneak up on a farm house on 100 acres of open fields. Hard to sneak up on a cabin in the woods. Impossible to sneak up on a hunting camp (where some of my friends spend a full month a year, even outside of the hunting season.)

It's also, in my experience, difficult to find a lot of people down here. Unlike up north, even when I'm trying to meet up with friends it can be tough to track them down. Many own multiple properties, hunting cabins with no paper trails, or regularly stay with extended families. Even if they tried to get warrants to track cell phones, the signal coverage down here is so sketch that it could be difficult to surprise someone because you'd hear about no-knock raids long before they could get more than a few people. As things have escalated since the 'Rona, many people down here have started getting burner phones anyway. Some of these hill-folk are surprisingly well versed in VPN usage.

In my neck of the woods, there is no effective government presence. The road is repaired by private citizens using a box-blade on the road. The police are simply never called - I kid you not when I say that a lot of problems end up in holes. One of my closest friends had a family member that put a problem in a hole (granted that was back in the 70s, when things were way sketchier than they are now). Many blighted drug-houses are torched by concerned citizens.

Having only known the North and Suburbia, I had no knowledge of how things work out in the sticks. Unless people out here are secretly rich and have registered NFA weapons, I'd say the full-auto fire I occasionally hear is probably of the DIY variety. Up north I was maybe in the top 10% on the 'hardliner' scale, down here I may very well be below the median.

I was trying to find a church, so visited several with co-workers and neighbors. In the wake of recent events, many sermons had a strong message about actively preparing to fight what they feel is a no-BS anti-Christ level attack on the religious. While Mormons, for example, have always prepared for a famine, these southern folks are preparing for a holy war with comparable zeal.

To continue off-topic, I've heard from various re-enactors in southern VA very similar concerns, and solutions. These guys have known each other all their lives, marched and camped and slept on rocks in the rain, and would most likely enjoy taking on a posse of city Federales. They have gunsmiths who are experienced in making ARs full auto. What some here consider joking about not messing with a guy who has 100 acres and a backhoe is no joking matter. These people easily see the difference between the law and Justice, and there's no question about which they prefer. The occasional rapist will often find himself gelded, for example - a much more useful solution than anger management therapy.

There is the issue of due process, of course, but it's most often the case that the nature of the perp is well known. Abuse of the system is probably no worse, and more likely less egregious, than the urban criminal justice system.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Plenty do.. being law abiding is way more important than their rights.. you must not read these forums regularly

Which laws are you saying should be broken in the name of maintaining the constitution's embrace of rule of law? Specifically, I mean. You always seem to leave that part off when you're suggesting what other people should do.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Its not going to matter after the left stacks the court. We will lose a lot more than pistol braces

That should be a red line for anyone that understands freedom. If they push through supreme court reform in order to take control of the supreme court, that should be a big green light for patriots everywhere.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How are they likely to manage that? The Democrats are hardly a united front now-a-days. I don't see how they could possibly pull it off.

There are already more than enough D senators who've said they'll never support it, in and of itself. And it can't get done unless they trash the filibuster first, and there are more than enough D senators who've said they won't touch THAT with a ten foot pole, either, and have explained why.

The party may be sliding into straight up evil lefty tyranny, but enough of them aren't so stupid to think such a blatant power grab wouldn't bite them in the ass at the local, state, and federal election level. They already almost lost their majorities in both chambers in 2020, and they've been acting even stupider since. Killing the filibuster and stacking the SCOTUS isn't going to happen any time soon.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Just a friendly reminder that anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. An anonymous screen name won't prevent a motivated investigator from being able to link your comments directly to you.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    When every major AR manufacturer makes a pistol version, many using the sba3, and magazines are regularly dedicating entire months to them.... yeah, it's going to be tough arguing that they are NOT in common use.

I agree with you. The problem is that the ATF has proven multiple times that they are more than willing to straight up lie to push their agenda. An organization that should not have a political agenda. One that should merely enforce existing laws, not create them dictator style! Sorry, pissed myself off thinking about this... back on topic.

The ATF claims 3-ish million pistol braces have been made and sold when everyone else, and I mean every other expert that has been asked is saying that over 40 million pistol braces are in the wild. The reason the AFT is lying about this is exactly because of the common use argument.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    So...
    If I weld a bayonet onto the end of my AR-15 pistol barrel, can I put a regular stock on it? If the ATF will count a welded or pinned on muzzle brake toward barrel length, why not add a permanently attached blade? Why would a barrel extension need to be in tubular shape?

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I'm guessing SB Tactical knows exactly how many of each type of brace they've made. Ditto for KAK and the Shockwave.

It will be pretty hard for the ATF to testify to the 3 million number if these companies have produced significantly more than that

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    So...
    If I weld a bayonet onto the end of my AR-15 pistol barrel, can I put a regular stock on it? If the ATF will count a welded or pinned on muzzle brake toward barrel length, why not add a permanently attached blade? Why would a barrel extension need to be in tubular shape?

A bayonet isn't any part of a barrel most likely their reasoning...You could write a letter. Interesting thought though, and barrel rifling has nothing to do with barrel length requirements.

StanleyJobson

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2021
    I've talked to my rep here in Monkey County and he says this legislative session they will be banning all "Assault Pistols" and "Stabilizing Braces". He mentioned they will also be closing the AR15 loophole. What does this mean?

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've talked to my rep here in Monkey County and he says this legislative session they will be banning all "Assault Pistols" and "Stabilizing Braces". He mentioned they will also be closing the AR15 loophole. What does this mean?

If you mean a county ordinance, it seems like this would run afoul of Maryland preemption statute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom