• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    My biggest regret was selling mine before I came to MD in 2011. Since then I’ve been under the impression that they are illegal in MD. Now I saw a post about AK-74s for sale?

Pardon my ignorance, but can I legally purchase an AK-47 in MD?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    My biggest regret was selling mine before I came to MD in 2011. Since then I’ve been under the impression that they are illegal in MD. Now I saw a post about AK-74s for sale?

Pardon my ignorance, but can I legally purchase an AK-47 in MD?

47 =/= 74

It is MSP’s current opinion that a 74 is not a copy of a 47.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format" is what is banned. Regardless of model.

It does not apply to AK74, unless it does.

Not all rifles are true copies ("interchangeable") so you can buy non-AK AK's.

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    According to state law semi-auto rifles are banned which have two of the following.

1) Folding stock
    2) Grenade launcher
    3) Flash suppressor

Does the state classify the AK shovel / slant tip muzzle brake as a flash suppressor.

How does the state define a flash suppressor?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    According to state law semi-auto rifles are banned which have two of the following.

1) Folding stock
    2) Grenade launcher
    3) Flash suppressor

Does the state classify the AK shovel tip muzzle brake as a flash suppressor.

How does the state define a flash suppressor?

To my knowledge there is no hard and fast classification. If the device is sold or marketed as a brake, its a brake.

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    It's an AK I bought back in 1990 so I didn't buy the "brake" separately. I'm just trying to determine if it complies with current law.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    There are definitely some AK variants that are legal to buy in MD today. I've seen an AK-74 with a sidefolder on a gun shop wall recently. Not cheap, but there it was.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It's an AK I bought back in 1990 so I didn't buy the "brake" separately. I'm just trying to determine if it complies with current law.
    Honestly I am not sure it is possible to answer your question in a consistent or satisfactory manner. Thanks Maryland . . .

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017
    I know some of the IP's have the Arsenal 106 for sale or you could always go the pistol route and SBR/ brace it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You are probably ok on a 104,105,106 if you are not hung up on caliber.

Now if Arsenal would do a 6.5 that could be interesting.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    MSP has reviewed this and deemed it legal, just bought mine last week

Aims 74 5.45
    e21738431df147f8bd18b5071c1610f3.jpg

based off of what MSP has reviewed it would appear that AK74’s are good to go.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I think the real question is, are 7.62 RPK’s banned? The barrel, receiver, furniture, sights, and i’m sure other parts are not interchangeable with a standard ak47. Maybe i’ll have to submit an AES-10B for review....

Afterall, 7.62 Ak pistols seem to be good to go, makes me think a 7.62 rpk might just fly

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Honestly I am not sure it is possible to answer your question in a consistent or satisfactory manner. Thanks Maryland . . .

Actually there is, in this case, see below.

The rules you mentioned only apply to post 2013 purchases. If this was a pre-2013 purchase (lower) you are GTG. Did you buy it as a MD resident in 1990? Are you a new resident just moved here, or what? IIRC there may be an involuntary "voluntary registration" process. If you were a MD resident at the time, you already registered it when you bought it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the real question is, are 7.62 RPK’s banned? The barrel, receiver, furniture, sights, and i’m sure other parts are not interchangeable with a standard ak47. Maybe i’ll have to submit an AES-10B for review....

Afterall, 7.62 Ak pistols seem to be good to go, makes me think a 7.62 rpk might just fly

No, DON'T do this. MDSP does not have an armorer review samples and compare guns to determine whether a gun is interchangeable. They stick their finger in the air and if you are lucky Google it and look at internet pictures.

Talk to Duffys, Engage, or some IP that actually knows the law.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    No, DON'T do this. MDSP does not have an armorer review samples and compare guns to determine whether a gun is interchangeable. They stick their finger in the air and if you are lucky Google it and look at internet pictures.

Talk to Duffys, Engage, or some IP that actually knows the law.

Ha we have nothing to lose by submitting an Rpk, as far as any shops are concerned AK 7.62 rifles are banned. Hell most are completely unaware of the ak style rifles and ak74’s that have been reviewed and determined to be legal.

Last time I tried asking shops about the M90NP, half of them said it was illegal and banned, the other half said they’d sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom