• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think the fear (potentially unfounded) is that the handle might slip out of my hand and then result in me dry firing the bow (never a good idea, it can break the limbs and cause injury) with the cocking handle free spinning at a very high rate of speed (more injury potential). I hunt in the evenings, so it is dark by the time I descend from the tree stand. For me it is just easier, faster, and safer (?) to fire an old beat up bolt into the ground or use a de-cocking bolt.

Doing this also allows me to test my accuracy (and equipment) in low/no light conditions because I'll pick a ground target or area that I can identify (so that I can later find the bolt). I use lighted tracers on the bolt nocks that are supposed to activate when fired (not always 100% reliable). It is just one more way to keep the skills up and confirm that I'm doing things right under simulated conditions.

The bow is a secondary concern. Decocking manually, also opens up the door to degloving your fingers, if the string slips uncocking a crossbow.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The bow is a secondary concern. Decocking manually, also opens up the door to degloving your fingers, if the string slips uncocking a crossbow.
    This is an important distinction! The fingers are worth more than the bow!

I had to look up degloving -
    A degloving injury is a type of avulsion in which an extensive section of skin is completely torn off the underlying tissue, severing its blood supply. It is named by analogy to the process of removing a glove

(shame on me for missing the personal injury aspects)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If I remember correctly, my manufacturer recommends against this for my crossbow (a ten point). I hunt from a climbing tree stand and lower the bow to the ground before descending. I use a crank device for cocking the string that ratchets not much unlike a boat winch.

I think the fear (potentially unfounded) is that the handle might slip out of my hand and then result in me dry firing the bow (never a good idea, it can break the limbs and cause injury) with the cocking handle free spinning at a very high rate of speed (more injury potential). I hunt in the evenings, so it is dark by the time I descend from the tree stand. For me it is just easier, faster, and safer (?) to fire an old beat up bolt into the ground or use a de-cocking bolt.

Doing this also allows me to test my accuracy (and equipment) in low/no light conditions because I'll pick a ground target or area that I can identify (so that I can later find the bolt). I use lighted tracers on the bolt nocks that are supposed to activate when fired (not always 100% reliable). It is just one more way to keep the skills up and confirm that I'm doing things right under simulated conditions.

I use aluminum bolts, not the graphite ones (Call me old fashioned. Yes, just like 9 vs 45, archery folks debate the merits of different types of bolts.)

Yes, my recommendation was meant for those who either cock with their hands(a bad thing) and or cock with a 'toggle' type, hand pulled cocking string(rope).

I have a friend who hunts with carbon bolts, but keeps an aluminum bolt for "de-cocking" his x-bow.:thumbsup:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Yes, my recommendation was meant for those who either cock with their hands(a bad thing) and or cock with a 'toggle' type, hand pulled cocking string(rope).

I have a friend who hunts with carbon bolts, but keeps an aluminum bolt for "de-cocking" his x-bow.:thumbsup:
    I can see it working using the method you're describing.

Don't get me wrong. I've thought about de-cocking using the 'wind back' method. I experimented with doing so at the early stages of cocking the bow. I know the bow companies won't recommend this at all for liability reasons. There are a number of safeties on my crossbow that in order for it to be fired (slowly decocked) require a bolt be present, and that you have your hands in the right positions on the bow. It just became too 'awkward' and risky for me.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :lol:

Did your glasses save you too?

youll-shoot-your-eye-out-a-christmas-story-pink-bunny-outfit-oh-fudge-rkvc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom