• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    This would put AZ in the same realm as AK and VT. Just waiting on the Governor's signature, she'll receive the bill on Monday:
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/04/09/20100409gunbill0409.html

If you're able to purchase (NICS), you're able to carry.

More dominoes toppling...

Here's the answer (sorry MD):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_concealed_weapons_arizona

"PHOENIX – Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.
    The measure takes effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends, which likely puts the effective date in July or August."

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Great News!!

Congrats AZ. I'm holding out and hoping for the attention MD will get from the National organizations in the near future.

MD is one of 10 of 50 states that are May-Issue (still waiting to see how the IA governor goes on Shall-issue).

Post-McDonald we will be able to finally carry in MD I believe. Roll train, roll...

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The news article "Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit"
    should really be the exact thread title, so that more people here are attracted to reading it. I think many have not read this article and are unaware of it.
    To me, it's a big deal.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    From the article...

Brewer this week signed another law that exempts guns made and kept in Arizona from federal regulation, including background checks.

Has the been challenged yet by the feds for any state? I remember the AG saying the feds still have jurisdiction. Could make for an interesting case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gov. signed it late Friday. Doesn't take effect until 90 days after the close of the legislative session.

From liittle acorns giant oaks grow. Could be the start of something big (and good)

:party29:

SonoraRebel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    im moving to Arizona.

I used to live in Ellicott City (Plumtree Drive) . I might even have known you.
    Moving to the Open Range desert of Arizona was the best move I ever made. I can only kick myself for not doing so sooner. This Bill was the product of the AzCDL... not the NRA or any other FUDD outfit. I open carry daily... but this Bill gets rid of all the gray areas between having a permit 'n not. I have an AZ CWP but rarely conceal. I carry a 1911-A1 .45acp and that's a bit hard to do and still get at it easily.

I put up with MD far too long. Get out if you're able. We actually honor the State Contitution's declaration for RKBA.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I used to live in Ellicott City (Plumtree Drive) . I might even have known you.
    Moving to the Open Range desert of Arizona was the best move I ever made. I can only kick myself for not doing so sooner. This Bill was the product of the AzCDL... not the NRA or any other FUDD outfit. I open carry daily... but this Bill gets rid of all the gray areas between having a permit 'n not. I have an AZ CWP but rarely conceal. I carry a 1911-A1 .45acp and that's a bit hard to do and still get at it easily.

I put up with MD far too long. Get out if you're able. We actually honor the State Contitution's declaration for RKBA.

i grew up in the first street inside gray rock. now teaching over in longgate at the elementary school. interesting to watch the rapid demographic shift. i just shake my head in disbelief walking to bippy's pub now.

SonoraRebel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Bippy's?

I could walk to Bare Bones... 'n sometimes did. I miss the chicken fingers with honey-mustard sauce... 'Never had anything as good since, altho being advertised as such. 'Been in Bippy's a few times tho. 'Never see either one of them again.

I'm certain I'd be 'looked at' funny.... people would call me 'Tex' 'n ask where my horse was tied up.

Arizona has recognized the right to bear arms since the beginning of it's history. The word 'allow' is misused in context of the Right. The state does not 'allow'... it does not 'deny'. It recognizes the Right as the state Constitution declares:

AZC Art 2 Sec 26 "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men."

Our state Constitution does not address or limit the mode of carry, or what constitutes 'arms'. (Neither does the 2A... but that's being addressed... we hope.) Ennyhoo... the 'impaired' part came into question back in '94 when the contrivance of 'permit' was introduced. Prior to 1994, there was no permit required to carry weapons... and people carried any way they wished. However... they had to get non-resident permits from elsewhere... usually Utah, to carry concealed out-of-state. New Mexico didn't have a 'permit' 'til 2004.

This whole 'CCW' idea being an import from newcomers who have this idea that the bearing of arms somehow requires permission and testing and all that 'baggage' they brought with 'em from elsewhere. The free exercise of a right does not require permission. The AZ CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) has not been discarded. It has the benefit of carrying your pistol to... Texas forinstance. Kommiefornia across the river is another problem altogether. I refuse to go there for any reason. The permit also eases the transaction of purchasing a firearm, in that there is no 4473 to fill out... no waiting period... nada. Just the permit and an AZ Drivers License 'n you're out the door with your gun (on your hip, if you want) within about 10 minutes.

The 'no permit' law just passed rectify's the unconstitutionality of requiring a 'permit' just becase your firearm is under your jacket. You're no less armed... as is your right. It also got rid of many 'gray' areas of having a gun on you in your vehicle with a passenger who has no permit... 'n that sort'a legal clutter. Not that most cops would even bother with that... unless they happen to have come from someplace 'else' with that inculcated anti-gun mindset.

This 'law' was not the result of any machinations by the NRA... but a grassroots effort begun by 2 guys in 2006. The AzCDL... modeled on the VCDL of Virginia. We have about 26,000 members in a state population of over 6 million. Not a lot... but enough. In fact, the FUDD's of the NRA were initially opposed to this Bill. Y'know... the usual 'blood in the streets... wild west' skreed. I expect a few other states may follow. The Brady's and their VPC shill Paul Helmke must be havin' a cow. I hope they have a whole herd by the time this is done with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom