Arisaka Type 99, my first C&R purchase :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I got my C&R about two weeks ago and came across this guy this morning. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week. :) I've been looking at these for several months, but still have more to learn. She was $500. I thought it was worth it for the intact mum and airplane sight, and the overall condition. How did I do?

Arisakaside_zps1d94d06b.jpg

Arisakaserial_zps2e88ccc6.jpg

Arisakamuzzle_zps1a5fe4b9.jpg

Arisakamum_zps3f206f90.jpg

Arisakabolt_zps2818a16f.jpg

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    It is a Toyo Kogyo arsenal series 32. Does the bolt serial number match the rifle? I will defer to somebody with a better depth of knowledge on the curved bolt handle though. I just scored a Type 99 not too long ago so I am still working on my Japanese C&R skills.

A C&R is an addiction and it looks like you skipped the normal gateway drug of a Mosin and went straight to the hard stuff, you are doomed.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Does the bolt serial number match the rifle? I will defer to somebody with a better depth of knowledge on the curved bolt handle though.

I'm not sure on the bolt serial number. I don't have her in hand yet. I'll check when I get her. Is there a place to get info on disassembly?

And no clue about the curved bolt... I hope I didn't end up with junk. :o

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I hope I didn't end up with junk. :o

I don't think you have to worry about that as you have a couple desirable traits on that Type 99: intact mum and the anti aircraft sights.

The main question I had is the turned down bolt handle. Most Type 99's (at least what I have seen) have a straight bolt handle. There were, however, many Type 99 Sniper rifles which would have a turned down bolt handles. You may have a bolt from a Sniper version of the Type 99 or it may have been turned down by somebody wanting to sell it as a Sniper rifle (most likely). One thing that you learn early about military weapons in the C&R world is that there are a billion exceptions to every rule and it takes a studied individual to really get down in the weeds and know the finer points (which is why I said I wait until one of our more learned members chimed in).

Your real problem is what I am having right now: finding 7.7mm ammo to feed that thing!

BBQ1

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 1, 2013
    Glendale
    Nice rifle with an intact mum !
    Looks like someone tried to bend the bolt handle down :sad20:

I'm not expert on metal but perhaps someone can heat up and straighten out the bolt handle without any additional damage.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I don't think you have to worry about that as you have a couple desirable traits on that Type 99: intact mum and the anti aircraft sights.

Awesome.

Thanks for the comments all. I'm already looking for a bayonet, sling and the mono-pod. :) Addictive crap. Any pointers to making it 100% is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm not sure on the bolt serial number. I don't have her in hand yet. I'll check when I get her. Is there a place to get info on disassembly?

First off, congratulations on your first C&R! Nice looking Type 99. A note on the disassembly, Type 99 rifles had their screws staked when they were assembled and many collectors shy away from disassembling the rifles if the screws are still staked. I'd recommend not taking it apart unless you'd seriously have too unless the screws aren't staked anymore.

If the numbers match and the stock has not been refinished I'd say $500 might be a little high but not too much. I paid $400 a few years ago for an all matching early Type 99 in good shape and didn't feel too bad about it. I always say you can never overpay for a rifle, you just buy it too early.

The bolt handle being bent certainly detracts some value but it can probably be professionally re-straightened with a little effort. At least they didn't bend it all the way down, that at least makes it a little easier. You better watch it with the Japanese rifles, once you get one, you'll want them all!

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    The bolt handle being bent certainly detracts some value but it can probably be professionally re-straightened with a little effort. At least they didn't bend it all the way down

Thanks for the info, Dan. I guess the bolt is not supposed to be like that. Any recommendations on who I can go to and have it fixed? Maybe it depends on whether the numbers match? If they don't match maybe I just look for a straight bolt?

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    A note on the disassembly, Type 99 rifles had their screws staked when they were assembled and many collectors shy away from disassembling the rifles if the screws are still staked. I'd recommend not taking it apart unless you'd seriously have too unless the screws aren't staked anymore.

Very good point by Dan, I forgot about that one!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

I bought one yesterday that I'm parting out on ebay.... the bolt should be serialized in 3 places. This was from a "last ditch" so they were double barrel ugly. Yours has a much better finish and different, better sights and better wood from the factory.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      58.8 KB · Views: 519
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      65.3 KB · Views: 532
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      46.4 KB · Views: 522

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the info, Dan. I guess the bolt is not supposed to be like that. Any recommendations on who I can go to and have it fixed? Maybe it depends on whether the numbers match? If they don't match maybe I just look for a straight bolt?

I probably wouldn't be much help with fixing the bolt. Another member could probably provide you with a good solution though. You could always buy another bolt I guess which is what I might do if re-straightening it wouldn't be too cost effective but most of the complete bolts I have seen for sale people have been trying to get $75 to $100 for them so that would be a little expensive to me.

The website below has the Type 99 bolt body's for sale for $20. You could pick one of those up if you wanted too. All you would really have to do is switch the cocking knob/safety and firing pin and spring out and you'd be good provided the headspace is fine. I've never done business with these people before so I can't say if they are reputable or not.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=83

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm not at all an expert on Japanese firearms, so others will have to help you with details, but if I ever start a collection of that sort, I'd hope to find one with a crisp mum like that has for my first rifle.

Pope Julius II: "When will you make an end?"
    Michelangelo: "When I am finished!"

Wife: "When will all this end?"
    C&R Holder: "Mmmphhh."

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I got her tonight! That was quick shipping. Here are some more up close shots, and questions. :)

Serial number up close.

Arisakaserial_zps2b458912.jpg

Serial number side. Pic came out a bit fuzzy, sorry. I don't see any cracks in the stock or major dents/chips/gouges.

Arisakaserialside_zps6f9a4e4f.jpg

Monopod mount. Is this what its supposed to look like? Will a monopod I buy be able to bolt to this?

Arisakamonopodmount_zpsdd46fea8.jpg

The mum is pristine. There's not a mark anywhere around it. Does that raise any red flags? What does the japanese writing under say?

Arisakamum_zps1e4e95ff.jpg

The anti-aircraft sight and view of the curved/bent bolt.

Arisakaantiaircraftsight_zpsf1b31ed1.jpg

The bolt serial number. Three digits that read 427. That doesn't appear to match the receiver serial number.

Arisakabolt_zps152ac1a6.jpg

So, do the numbers on the bolt definitively say it is not a matching bolt and I'm okay to replace it with a straight one? Is there any possibility that is a sniper rifle bolt?

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Its almost impossible to find an arisaka with a matching bolt. I'm told this is because when they were surrendered to US forces, the rifles were put in one pile, and the bolts in another, likely to prevent any of them from being used against them. I've never seen one with an original jap scope, but I guess you can never say never. The receiver should have some type of fixture/holes for mounting one, and the pictures you show don't reflect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom