• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spyderdiver

Dec 27, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just purchased an Arisaka type 38 carbine. The rifle is decent unfortunately it has been very neglected. The sling it came with looks original however is very stiff and dry rot. Take a look at the pictures.

I would like to bring this sling back to life. How would you recommend I go about it to get the best result?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      137.7 KB · Views: 110
    • photo-1.jpg
      photo-1.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 103

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I'm no expert on leather but a good cleaning with saddle soap or mink oil would be a good start.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

smoothebore

No expert here. But, neatsfoot oil is a leather moisturizer although it will darken the leather. Maybe Balistol, it's supposed to work wonders on everything. Or just google it. I know there are kits available for rejuvenating old leather.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    What I've done with an old, stiff, cracking leather Japanese sling that was on its last leg was to:

(1) Wash it down in a tub of warm, soapy water, then rinse in clean warm water.

(2) Press out as much of the water as you can, like on an old towel. Don't rub, just press it into the towel.

(3) While it's still damp, slather on, and rub in, some Pecard's leather conditioner. The water will soften the leather a bit, open the pores a little, and let the Pecard's penetrate. Rub the Pecard's in as much as you can.

(4) Hang the sling up to restore it to its unfolded shape, and let the residual Pecard's penetrate more on its own.

(5) After a suitable length of time, carefully put it back on the rifle.

This process didn't bring it back from the dead, but so far the sling is more supple than it was and the cracking has stopped. The white Kanji markings on the sling were not damaged by this process, either. The leather is definitely darker, however.

YMMV.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom