• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    My $.02 worth. I have good scopes and cheap scopes most of which are fine for their particular job. My .308 LR bolt gun has a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50. My 6.8mm DMR AR has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. My Mossberg MVP Heavy Varmint .223 has a Leatherwood 6-24x44 (used to have a Nikon 4-12x40). Both my 3-gun uppers have Burris MTAC scopes. The Remington 597 .22 that I won 3 MPC Critters (free standing rimfire metallic silhouette) had 2 different BSA scopes on it over that period, one a Sweet 22. Right now it has the top Sweet 22, the 6-18x40 SF version ($118).
    All that being said my favorite scope and the one that has been on just about every rifle I have built for sight in and a match or 2 is the BSA Tactical Mil-Mil 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil First Focal MRAD scope that is on sale for $250 about 1/2 the year, available only at MidwayUSA because Larry had them build it. It sighted in my .308 and my 6.8, it sat on top of my Stag 3G when I finished 13th out of 52 at a precision/tactical LEO/Mil match.
    All these are the scopes that get the job done. All were bought on sale, closeouts, or were shop demos. Only 3 of them cost me more than $299 (only 1 cost me more than $375, the Bushnell at $699).

Just got one of these from Midway. Darn heavy scope. Only had a chance e to look thru it off my balcony so far. FFP is a different experience. Can barely make out the lines on 4x but they sure do get bigger on 14. Have to learn how to use mil-mil now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just got one of these from Midway. Darn heavy scope. Only had a chance e to look thru it off my balcony so far. FFP is a different experience. Can barely make out the lines on 4x but they sure do get bigger on 14. Have to learn how to use mil-mil now.

Mil's is pretty simple, IMO. It was definitely easier than doing Mil/MOA conversions, for me anyways.

Point of impact is off 1 mil mark of the reticle compared to point of aim? Dial in 5 clicks. Boom.

Those scopes ain't bad for the money, but I know from firsthand experience how easy those scope bodies distort and the turrets can shear off the internals if the scope takes a fall with the rifle. Falcon, Primary Arms, and another supplier use them.

At least with Primary Arms getting it replaced should prove to be easier than it was with Falcon - who said I was basically SOL.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Well that sounds easy enough. I never got up to speed with MOA, just walked my shots in guessing. At $250 for the BSA I thought I'd take a chance based on Photoracer's post. I'd always been told that BSA stood for best stay away. But with a limited lifetime warranty I figured it was worth a shot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It isn't too bad to get used to, IMO. I'd walk my shots in with Mil/MOA scopes as well, it was quicker than doing mental math. :)

They're good scopes, with that one caveat. As long as you don't let it take a hard knock, you'll be in good shape.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No need to walk shots in to sight in.

Simple sight in.

Start with bore sighting, if possible.

Then, using a rest, fire one shot.
    Prop up rifle so the cross hairs are on the point you used to sight.
    Without moving rifle, adjust cross hairs to match the bullet hole in the target.
    Fire one shot to confirm.
    Done.

If you cannot bore sight, you may need to do this pretty close, then repeat at your desired zero distance.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Simple sight in.

Without moving rifle, adjust cross hairs to match the bullet hole in the target.
    Done.

If you cannot bore sight, you may need to do this pretty close, then repeat at your desired zero distance.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Simple sight in.

Done.

Easy to do on most rifles, but not one with a .5" bore. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Still works. Just harder to figure out the exact center of the bullet hole. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom