• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Had a nice day on the water. Scared up a mess of the finest food on earth. These things are really like mothers milk to those of us raised on them, there is nothing finer. Some of them are real toads. Huge. Had them raw, steamed and fried tonight. Will use probably a dozen or so since they are so big to put in a stew and will be eating fried for a few days. Took us about three hours to get a bushel and we were horsing around some too.

Attachments

• IMG_20141111_143832.jpg
      IMG_20141111_143832.jpg
      159 KB · Views: 723
    • IMG_20141111_143746.jpg
      IMG_20141111_143746.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 711
    • IMG_20141111_185310.jpg
      IMG_20141111_185310.jpg
      105.7 KB · Views: 783

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Legal is 3" which is what just about all the ones offered for sale are. Many in this batch are double that. This particular waterway has almost zero fishing pressure which lets them grow in size. Problem is I saw very few small(er) ones, which was kind of alarming.

thai

May 8, 2013
    As long as you collect them rocks from as far away from any open raw sewage discharge drains or any chicken and hog farms runoff discharge.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw any that big. And you got them out of the BAY?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Wow those are huge. Nice haul.

No small ones eh, what could that mean?

It may mean the larvae aren't catching, they are dying, or the spat is dying. Disease has been hard on oyster stocks.

As long as you collect them rocks from as far away from any open raw sewage discharge drains or any chicken and hog farms runoff discharge.

Funny you mention this. We had this particular water way tested for oyster aquaculture and the bacteria levels were too high. We speculate that the surrounding farmland is having chicken litter applied. My family has eaten from this creek for many hundred of years so I feel pretty safe with these.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw any that big. And you got them out of the BAY?

Where abouts did you don't those beast of oysters?

where were yall tongin?

We weren't tonging we were nippering if you know what that is. My tongs are broke and I haven't shaped a new set of shafts. I won't divulge my exact spot but its off the Potomac a little north of Tall timbers.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It may mean the larvae aren't catching, they are dying, or the spat is dying. Disease has been hard on oyster stocks.

Funny you mention this. We had this particular water way tested for oyster aquaculture and the bacteria levels were too high. We speculate that the surrounding farmland is having chicken litter applied. My family has eaten from this creek for many hundred of years so I feel pretty safe with these.

We weren't tonging we were nippering if you know what that is. My tongs are broke and I haven't shaped a new set of shafts. I won't divulge my exact spot but its off the Potomac a little north of Tall timbers.

my tongs are long given away and I haven't seen a pair of nippers in use since the 70's. good on yall for knowing the old ways.

can you even find good pine for shafts nowadays?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When they get that big they become very chewy and bitter. I'll come by and put them back in the bay for ya. Free.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    When they get that big they become very chewy and bitter. I'll come by and put them back in the bay for ya. Free.

Haha, come on by I have plenty of shells to load you up with.

[/B]

my tongs are long given away and I haven't seen a pair of nippers in use since the 70's. good on yall for knowing the old ways.

can you even find good pine for shafts nowadays?

I grew up with old sets of nippers laying around and the process isn't that hard. I tend to like it a little better than tonging. Wait til the tide gets blown way out and the water is really clear in the winter and push around for them.

Shafts are unobtanium. There are rumors about some old guys still making sets here and there. One locally a few on the Eastern Shore and a few more down in tidewater VA. I was just going to get 16' 1x4 clear pine and shape them myself. It can't be that hard. Finding clear pine that long might be tricky but I bet Dyson's could fix me up.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I've thought about that a few times and yeah that's probably about right. I tell people dont look at them while you're eating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom