Are there any pistols or brands you just don't shoot well with despite it being a quality firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Revolvers in general but the worst are Glocks. Grip angle SUCKS, that's why I'm a S&W M&P fan. They got the grip angle right.
    Actually I own a Glock 43 and shoot that pretty well, it’s the exception to the Glock rule.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I use to shoot my Beretta 92SB about 3" low at 25 ft. I switched up the ammo and found 124 gr and 135 gr worked just fine. I don't know why.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I can't shoot a Beretta M9 pattern worth a damn. Glocks however work just fine.
    More time in the gym. :lol2:;) A fully loaded beretta is a load and throw in the long trigger pull I could see people having issues with it. Sometimes I feel like I need to stop and get lunch after the first trigger pull...:D

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Another vote for Glocks, had them, just don't feel right, pointing issues, not natural at least to me, their like raked forward, don't really know how to describe it. and from holster to aim, to target, find myself having to adjust sight picture. Maybe in time it would work. But...

Revolvers with either Pachmayr, or over sized grips fit the best, same with the 1911's Pachmayr. Even then Warthog, 4553 come on target quick. Me not really a fan of Glocks. Sorry

-Rock

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    When the USCG switched from the 45s to the Berettas I could only score marksman. With the 45 I always scored expert. I hated the Beretta the first time out I choked up on the grip and the receiver ripped my web between mt thumb and index finger right open. Had 3 stitches kept shooting for score.

My personal choice are revolvers, they never fail or jamb and they don't rip your hand open. I do perfer my Khar 40 calibers K40 and CW40 for my CCW as they are light weight and very consealable.

I absolutely love my Magnum Research BFR .500 S&W revolver for hunting big game. When I was in WV earlier this year I opened carry the BFR just for fun. Got some looks and lots of questions.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    MD Escapee: Mid-Tennessee
    Chalk up another M9... it just doesn't fit and I have to work too hard to keep it on the target-- I never acquitted myself well among my peers with that damn thing on the range.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Chalk up another M9... it just doesn't fit and I have to work too hard to keep it on the target-- I never acquitted myself well among my peers with that damn thing on the range.
    Just wish we had SIGs instead of the M9

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    MD Escapee: Mid-Tennessee
    Just wish we had SIGs instead of the M9
    Probably so-- although I have not yet had the opportunity to fire the SIG. I would have been happy to have the 1911s we used in Officer Basic-- I shot expert w/that platform. Every other handgun I've fired generally no issues, Glocks, Hk, Kimber, Springfield, S&W-- even the .38 Air Crew survival revolvers-- but the M9...nada.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The new(ish) Colt Cobra 38 special. Beautiful gun, I mean c’mon a COLT SNAKE GUN, can’t shoot it worth a crap. Pretty small gun, shoot nice groups at 10 yards, just 3-4” dead left at 9:00, same exact spot my Taurus 605 snubby hits. Need work on my tiny revolver trigger control I think.
    Try using more trigger finger.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    SA revolvers, any brand. Never spent enough time shooting them to become proficient.

Ruger DA revolvers. Had a couple but could never shoot them anywhere near as good as my Smiths and Colts for some reason.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I also don't like Glock Triggers at all & I can't shoot them as well as I can ANY other Pistol or Relvolver...

Theoretically, by their specs alone, I should LOVE Glocks but NO MORE PLEASE...

Give me a Ruger GP100 Revolver or any S&W 9mm Semi Auto with a 4" long barrel...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I learned to improvise, adapt and overcome a long time ago.

You don't go to war with the equipment you want ; you go to war with the equipment they issued you.

That said, I always prefered and shot better with a M16A1/A2 produced by GM's Hydra-Matic than a Colt. They just felt better better in my hands. H&R was my 2nd choice.

As for issued 38 Revolvers, always Ruger over S&W. The Smith M&P's pencil barrels seemed to warp slightly from storing them racked on the short barrel pegs. The Ruger Security Six had heavier barrrels and better accuracy.

I've had the opportunity to test for accuracy whole herds of S&W and Service Six revolvers . The accuracy for both fell in the same variation , with no meaningful difference in mean between them .

The balance of a Security/ Service Six is quite similar to the M10 HB .
    I also don't like Glock Triggers at all & I can't shoot them as well as I can ANY other Pistol or Relvolver...

Theoretically, by their specs alone, I should LOVE Glocks but NO MORE PLEASE...

Give me a Ruger GP100 Revolver or any S&W 9mm Semi Auto with a 4" long barrel...

Actually , the NY-1 will make the trigger much closer the feel of a DA Revolver .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    P08 Luger! I must be deformed!
    The very different grip of the (inferior?) P-38 works way better for me.
    Most D/A revolvers "factory grips".
    I put a Hoague on my 15-2 & the difference was amazing!
    View attachment 373908
    @BFMIN

Can you explain what you meant by your post about " most D?A revolvers " factory grips"?

I am not familiar with S&W models so explain to me the pic and what the gun is and the 2 grips. Looking up the 15-2 shows me shorter barrel that that one. Also, if you have pics of your 15-2 with Hogue grips, I would like that too.

I know a Ruger GP100 came with a Hogue grip set as do a few Springfield 45's like a V10 Ultra Compact.

1658689116305.png

1658689376582.png

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I've had the opportunity to test for accuracy whole herds of S&W and Service Six revolvers . The accuracy for both fell in the same variation , with no meaningful difference in mean between them .

The balance of a Security/ Service Six is quite similar to the M10 HB
    You fail to note the difference between a Smith M&P/M10 Pencil Barrel and the later M10 HB.

Especially when those 4" Pencil barrels were racked on 1 or 2" wooden or metal pegs. That improper storage combined with decades of natural gravitational pull caused the barrels to warp just enough to effect accuracy. Combined with the Milspec 38 FMJ, you felt like you were pitching curve balls at the target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom