• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    1. I refuse to buy any ammo from cheaperthandirt. I don't appreciate their price gouging. $100 for a 30rd pmag? $1000 for 500 rds of 223? Yeah, no thanks.

2. 22lr is still difficult to find but I've noticed it's been popping up. I've been able to purchase about 5000rds in the last 2 months, which is plenty for taking all the new shooters I tend to teach. I don't do the whole "get up at the crack of dawn and hit up places as they open" crap. I also don't buy everything I possibly can. I just don't shop at big box stores. I also refuse to pay anything above prepanic pricing. Everything else is pretty easy to find.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    The ammo shortage hasn't hit me too hard; I've been reloading for more than 25 years. I haven't had to buy much factory ammo except .22 lr and about 400 rounds of 9mm last year as I added a new caliber. I now have 9mm molds and about 3k cases and don't have to worry about a 9 shortage anymore.

Now rifle powder is another matter; I can't find VV N135 or Varget anywhere.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    I just bought Winchester white box 100 round per box of 9 mm for $28 at Wal-Mart at Oakland MD (Deep Creek). About half what it is at my Frederick Wal-Mart.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've been buying and stockpiling ammo at regular intervals over the last 3-4 years. That will continue indefinitely. I guess that meets the definition of hoarding.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I have done similarly, Docster, and have SLOWLY accumulated a satisfactory supply for my needs.

The definition of hoarding was presented earlier, in another thread. I won't 'out' anyone... it's just not worth getting into.

IMO... Buy what you think you will use, and maybe a touch more. But repeatedly gaming the system to satisfy some sort of gunlust is unfair to everyone else.

This week, I have delivered in excess of 17,000 rounds of .22--generously supplied by members here--to the Boy Scouts for summer camps.

I can tell you with two fingers how much of that came from people I know to be hoarders. Index finger and thumb make a nice fat ZERO.

Yeah... it's a problem.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I found this spy photo of one of our beloved member's shed...

57088d1370288019-please-stop-hoarding-ammo-stockpile2.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Some people may consider accumulating ammo as a long-term investment. I've always stated that guns and ammo value will only go up. Here's an interesting example.

Hoarding, or something better than cash?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    hell, I never see WWB at Frederick. I've also tried Germantown where I work

I saw 100 rd boxes there Wed or Thur. Just didn't have any cash on me and didn't want to hit the CC. Should have as it was cheaper than my local Hunt Valley WM by a good bit.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    If I go to the range on average once a week and shoot 100 rounds each trip with a mix of the twenty something firearms I own then I have enough ammo on hand to last me over 6 years. The sad reality is I go maybe 3 to 4 times a year, over half of my firearms I have never even fired, and my current ammo supply will probably outlive me.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    As far a Lower Than Dirt; I wouldn't buy from them at any price.

Add me to that list. In my 58 years I can't recall a company that I have specifically avoided doing business with. CTD is the exception. They wrote the book on super escalating the ammo prices during the shortage and offered a lame apology as the shortage was easing. I'm sure their not getting my business won't imapact their bottom line, but if there was no 9mm left and CTD was the only vendor that had any, I would start shooting somthing else in a caliber that I could get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom