Are manufacturers missing out on a home defense revolver market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    A .327 will also chamber/fire 32Mag, 32 S&W long (and I have read but haven't tried 32acp).

It's part of why I like the chambering since I then have several options of ammo from mild to rather wild.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    With all of the complexity in this discussion, I think I'll use my AR for home defense and keep squeezing the trigger until my magazine is empty, then lather, rinse, repeat. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    4" S&W .357 686+ (7 rounds) hidden near the front door - within reach when answering the door if needed.

Loaded with .357 Mag 158 grain Speer Gold Dot JHPs.

Attachments

• s-w-686+.jpg
      s-w-686+.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 225

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    S&W makes a gun similar to your requirements but I know of no reason it should be polymer. That's really stretching it on large/medium frame revolver.

https://www.impactguns.com/smith-and-wesson-mp-357-5in-black-170292-022188702927.aspx

It is a great gun and I mentioned in the first post but it would not satisfy the market I'm talking about that does not ever want to shoot 357 magnum on their house nor even at the range.

The TRR8 is the right format but has the following negatives for target market:
    1. It is expensive, starting at $1200 MSRP and being in demand would guess even higher
    2. Its expensive for good reasons, all which the target market group would not care about:
    - made tough enough for shield wielding LEO point-people
    - S&W "precision center" tuned for highly accurate shooting, perfect trigger, etc...
    - S&W brand name
    3. It shoots 357, which this group would not want to shoot and means that maybe one more round of 38, 327, ... could be fit in with a round the recoil averse group does want to shoot

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It is a great gun and I mentioned in the first post but it would not satisfy the market I'm talking about that does not ever want to shoot 357 magnum on their house nor even at the range.

The TRR8 is the right format but has the following negatives for target market:
    1. It is expensive, starting at $1200 MSRP and being in demand would guess even higher
    2. Its expensive for good reasons, all which the target market group would not care about:
    - made tough enough for shield wielding LEO point-people
    - S&W "precision center" tuned for highly accurate shooting, perfect trigger, etc...
    - S&W brand name
    3. It shoots 357, which this group would not want to shoot and means that maybe one more round of 38, 327, ... could be fit in with a round the recoil averse group does want to shoot
    There are too few in your group to create a market. What you wish for will never happen due to basic supply and demand.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd like a Glock revolver with a 33 round clip, lights, and lasers. The kind only my mom can manipulate. Because I taught her how to reload those clip cylinders when under attack. I'm her son, obviously.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    This is exactly why manufacturers do not push revolvers and sums it up for the original question. Mom can have 33 rounds at her fingertips and not have to worry about operating the slide or worry about being undertrained or knowledgeable because 32 rounds inspires confidence.

Way to go spray-and-pray. That'll win a gunfight everytime. :rolleyes:

Not being able to work the slide on a handgun is purely due to training and confidence....especially for an adult. For a right handed shooter, straighten the shooting arm, cant the slide to the left, grab the back with meat of your left hand(thumb forward), and keep elbows straight as you use chest and shoulder muscles to drive the frame forward.

If 8 year old kids can run semiautos in competition, a full grown female should have no problem. A .22 for defense is just not a good solution to a training problem.

Not for those with reduced grip strength due to arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. Wait until you're 80 and report back. It's not a training problem.

In the last 100 years, .38 spl revolvers and shotguns have probably ended more breakins and home invasions than all the glockomatics and ARs combined. Unless you run a drug stashhouse and your adversaries come prepared, most home defense situations are over in 3 rounds. If you need more than 6 rounds, just grab that second revolver you have stashed upside down in the same FAS1 safe.

Exactly. Some seem to romanticize their potential SD situation just a bit. Running and gunning, sliding into cover, engaging multiple attackers with two in the chest and one to the head each, three speed reloads and two tactical reloads. Happens everyday, right? :rolleyes:

Revolver manufacturers are not missing out on the home defense market. The ignorant and untrained are not promoting them. They love selling hollywood's "gats".

Burns me up to no end when at any box store gun retailer that the dope behind the counter has zero clue. Man and wife come in looking for a basic pistol for the house. I have yet to see them show a revolver to these couples. Revolvers aren't cool looking.

Most folks at gunshops today have no clue about revolvers to any degree of depth. Ask 'em a revolver question, sit back, and watch the idiocy begin.

Don't get me wrong, clearly, it is far easier to reload a semi. My primary SD gun is a Glock 23 with 14 round magazines (13 rounds and a Pearce extension). As others have said, something is better than nothing. My wife lacks the hand strength to rack most semis (I have a bunch of them, so she has tried). Her gun is a seven round revolver that shoots 32 S&W Long SJHP. At 10 yards, she can empty it in the 8 ring or better. That's good enough for me to have peace of mind.

Can't be. It's gotta be her lack of training. Nothing to do with hand strength at all. Internet says so.

I like revolvers and often carry a .357 S&W. my wife has a .38 in the drawer next to her bed she can hit a plate in the center at 15 yards. Maybe I should turn in my NRA credentials.

Yep. Turn 'em in. You ain't cool enough.

Ahhh. Fantasy unicorn self defense dreams involving mag exchanges, beside while wearing underoos.

^^This x 1 million^^

Not sure how often reloading comes into play in a HD dynamic and I'm talking about a market of individuals that are not interested in fast reloading in any format or being prepared for extended gunfights in their house or fighting off "squads" of bad guys that a lot of us like to fantasize could happen ("he was attacked by 4 guys on drugs that felt no pain, after plugging 10 rounds of 45 ACP into each of their heads, and reloading several times, he finally subdued them... ... therefore you should always have massive firepower at your disposal or none at all"). This is a target market that will not buy needing to be prepped for that scenario. And I'm just trying to serve them with a gun they will buy and assuming they won't buy otherwise.

Reloading probably doesn't figure into many, if any, at all. Just more fantasy and dreams.

God. You people over think everything.

Yep.

I'm no Jerry Miculek and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but most experienced revolver shooters including myself can fire, shuck 6 and reload 6 before most SA guys are fumbling for their 2nd mag or forgetting to hit the slide release. And I'm sure that many slabs side shooters are very prepared for a FTF or FTE in your tidy whities and slightly disoriented from being waken from a sound sleep.

Wheel gun plus 1 or 2 speedloaders or moon clips will cover of most if not all HD/SD needs.

I love my 1911s, BHP and Glocks just as much as the next guy but for HD situations, I prefer to follow the KISS principle and go with my wheel guns to help prevent situational overloaded.

Well despite all that, you are seriously under equipped. So sell all your wheelguns. They'll get ya killed. :lol2:

All those high round shootouts .00001% of the population gets in.

:party29:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'd like a Glock revolver with a 33 round clip, lights, and lasers. The kind only my mom can manipulate. Because I taught her how to reload those clip cylinders when under attack. I'm her son, obviously.

I have an eight shot Glock revolver made of unobtainium. It weighs 4 ounces, shoots recoilless 454 Casull rounds with mini cameras in each round so I can post my self defense heroics on YouTube, and it automatically reloads when I say "booga-booga." It doesn't need a light because as soon as I grab it, it imparts canine night vision to me.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Not for those with reduced grip strength due to arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. Wait until you're 80 and report back. It's not a training problem.

I mean.....

.... J/k, but I was referring mostly to able-bodied people that think they don't have the strength to rack a slide, that actually do when shown better ways to do it. I recognize that there are outliers, but if you're struggling with a slide on something like a walther ccp due to a physical hand impairment, I'm wondering how that double-action trigger pull will be treating you. When you toss an rmr on a slide, working a slide suddenly becomes very doable for just about everyone able to exert 17 lbs with their upper body.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To get back to the OP's original premise: the Korth Sky Marshal has some configurations that are reasonably close to what he's looking for - picatinny rails for accessories and an optic, plus 9mm without moon clips. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more like $1700 rather than the $1000 they were originally promising.

Someone else brought up the TRR8, which is basically your only other choice. It's still pretty expensive, and I'm not a huge fan of 357mag, but it's "tactical" as they go. Ultimately, price is the problem - you can buy a Glock for less than half the price that has a way larger ammo capacity. Until someone figures out some clever way to lower the manufacturing costs on revolvers down to semi-auto levels - which I don't think is possible - revolvers are always going to be the pricier, less effective option.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    There are too few in your group to create a market. What you wish for will never happen due to basic supply and demand.

I think there are enough evidenced by the large number of CCW conceal carry revolvers out there. The LCR's have been wildly popular. It's not the same market but there is a lot of overlap. I disagree with other posters that revolvers are just for 80+ years olds with arthritis. There are size-able numbers of:
    1. women who don't have the strength to work a slide
    2. men and women who do have the strength but don't feel comfortable with it and will not purchase a semi-auto (or worse purchase and not use/practice)
    3. and people who are comfortable working a slide but question being able to pull off "tap rack and roll" in a real-life distressed HD situation (and I'm guessing this is part of the group buying the CCW revolvers).

And yes revolvers serve elderly and disabled.

Guns are being produced for all sorts of niche markets so it doesn't seem a stretch to address this one: a reliable, easy to use, high capacity, low recoil home defense revolver. I think they just haven't thought of it.

To get back to the OP's original premise: the Korth Sky Marshal has some configurations that are reasonably close to what he's looking for - picatinny rails for accessories and an optic, plus 9mm without moon clips. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more like $1700 rather than the $1000 they were originally promising.

Someone else brought up the TRR8, which is basically your only other choice. It's still pretty expensive, and I'm not a huge fan of 357mag, but it's "tactical" as they go. Ultimately, price is the problem - you can buy a Glock for less than half the price that has a way larger ammo capacity. Until someone figures out some clever way to lower the manufacturing costs on revolvers down to semi-auto levels - which I don't think is possible - revolvers are always going to be the pricier, less effective option.

I notice Chiappa doesn't have it exactly but they are close and interesting. They sell sub $500 revolvers, a 22 mag at least in a 10 round cylinder, and have some revolvers with rails. They don't have one gun with it all but they seem like they could given what they already have and given their innovative approach.

And thanks for the info on Korth Sky Marshal! Never heard of them. It's expensive but should be interesting reading.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    S&W makes a gun similar to your requirements but I know of no reason it should be polymer. That's really stretching it on large/medium frame revolver.

https://www.impactguns.com/smith-and-wesson-mp-357-5in-black-170292-022188702927.aspx

I say polymer or alloy for a number of reasons:
    1. Offset the weight of an extra large cylinder (to fit more than 8 rounds)
    2. Offset the weight of rail accessories like a light and laser
    3. Offset the weight of it being big enough to have rails
    4. Offset the weight of extra rounds

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    In the last 100 years, .38 spl revolvers and shotguns have probably ended more breakins and home invasions than all the glockomatics and ARs combined. Unless you run a drug stashhouse and your adversaries come prepared, most home defense situations are over in 3 rounds. If you need more than 6 rounds, just grab that second revolver you have stashed upside down in the same FAS1 safe.

That is the same logic people who want to ban normal capacity mags make. Just saying.

I wasn't going to jump in but I am in an argumentative mood tonight :-)

I think revolvers definitely have their place. Are they as necessary as they were 40 years ago? Definitely not. Revolvers may make a good backup gun for some people, or they may make a good gun for someone who doesn't have the strength to properly run a semi automatic. Other than that, and specialty applications (snake shot, etc) or for the range, I don't see much use for them.

My problem is with people who still whine about revolvers being more reliable than semi-autos. I'm sorry, but that is bull. I have fired probably 25-30k through centerfire semi autos (so, I am not counting .22 pistols) and how many malfunctions have I had? And no, I'm not talking about categorizing them by user induced, ammo related, mag related blah blah blah, I am speaking of all malfunctions. One. And that malfunction was with a plastic snap cap that I mixed in with live rounds. I am no pro shooter or anything near that, but still, it is a data point. Around 30k rounds with one malfunction (and it was with a snap cap). Am I the exception to the rule? I don't think so.

Personally the only reason I would ever own one is for the cool factor. Who doesn't smile when they see a Smith model 29 with a 6.5 inch barrel? :D But, that doesn't mean they aren't right for other folks.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I think there are enough evidenced by the large number of CCW conceal carry revolvers out there. The LCR's have been wildly popular. It's not the same market but there is a lot of overlap. I disagree with other posters that revolvers are just for 80+ years olds with arthritis. There are size-able numbers of:
    1. women who don't have the strength to work a slide
    2. men and women who do have the strength but don't feel comfortable with it and will not purchase a semi-auto (or worse purchase and not use/practice)
    3. and people who are comfortable working a slide but question being able to pull off "tap rack and roll" in a real-life distressed HD situation (and I'm guessing this is part of the group buying the CCW revolvers).

And yes revolvers serve elderly and disabled.

Guns are being produced for all sorts of niche markets so it doesn't seem a stretch to address this one: a reliable, easy to use, high capacity, low recoil home defense revolver. I think they just haven't thought of it.

I notice Chiappa doesn't have it exactly but they are close and interesting. They sell sub $500 revolvers, a 22 mag at least in a 10 round cylinder, and have some revolvers with rails. They don't have one gun with it all but they seem like they could given what they already have and given their innovative approach.

And thanks for the info on Korth Sky Marshal! Never heard of them. It's expensive but should be interesting reading.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719018346
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...id/719018347/CHIAPPA+RHINO+50DS+9MM+5+6RD+BLK

moon clips for quick reloads, 9mm for effective defensive cartridge that doesn't kick much(especially with the rhino's absurdly low bore-axis), rail for a light/laser, and $800.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    That is the same logic people who want to ban normal capacity mags make. Just saying.

I wasn't going to jump in but I am in an argumentative mood tonight :-)

I think revolvers definitely have their place. Are they as necessary as they were 40 years ago? Definitely not. Revolvers may make a good backup gun for some people, or they may make a good gun for someone who doesn't have the strength to properly run a semi automatic. Other than that, and specialty applications (snake shot, etc) or for the range, I don't see much use for them.

My problem is with people who still whine about revolvers being more reliable than semi-autos. I'm sorry, but that is bull. I have fired probably 25-30k through centerfire semi autos (so, I am not counting .22 pistols) and how many malfunctions have I had? And no, I'm not talking about categorizing them by user induced, ammo related, mag related blah blah blah, I am speaking of all malfunctions. One. And that malfunction was with a plastic snap cap that I mixed in with live rounds. I am no pro shooter or anything near that, but still, it is a data point. Around 30k rounds with one malfunction (and it was with a snap cap). Am I the exception to the rule? I don't think so.

There is one good thing about the nature of malfunctions in handguns and how to move past it that makes a revolver great for someone without much training... ammo-related malfunctions. They're probably the most common reason why a gun would click instead of bang, so check out the way a shooter would move past it and get the gun back up for another shot....

semi-auto:
    1) press trigger
    2) *click*
    3) recognize malfunction and consciously switch motor programs to clear it
    4) seat the mag
    5) rack the slide
    6) reacquire grip/sights
    7) press trigger

revolver:
    1) press trigger
    2)*click*
    3) press trigger

....and that to me is one of the revolver's biggest advantages under stress for a new shooter. If an ammo-related malfunction happens, the shooter just continues what they were already doing. They don't need to switch motor programs, or even recognize that a malfunction has occurred at all. Simply pressing the trigger again revolves the cylinder to a new chamber and the shots continue.

For purse/pocket carry, a revolver can also be great. Their rounded lines seem to print less, and because they don't have a reciprocating slide, a hammerless revolver can be fired repeatedly from within a bag or pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom