Are guns and ammo really tax free in WV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    I can't remember where I saw it, but a few days ago, I remember seeing somewhere that in WV, no taxes are charged on guns an ammo. Is that really true? If so, is it only for WV residents or for anyone?

If for anyone, can someone recommend a decent LGS between Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg?

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    <-- FFL in Inwood

Yes, there is no sales tax on firearms and ammunition in WV. I believe ammunition components are taxed, as are parts. Occasionally we'll get a transfer that comes through and the seller charged WV sales tax as not all shopping cart/point of sale systems have the exemption in there. I point it out to the buyers so they can request a refund.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I just changed an online order for primers and ammo from shipping to my VA home, to my WVA home, and sales tax was removed. Winning!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yes its true. Haffers has a store that is right across the river in falling waters WV.

This isn't as nice as hafers IMO but literally 5 mins down the road from them

Precison firearms is also right there. They are expensive and specialize in ARs

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    fyi i looked and reloading supplies (but not equipment) is indeed tax-free in wv, just did a primer-only order from brownells and no tax so it's true!

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I can't remember where I saw it, but a few days ago, I remember seeing somewhere that in WV, no taxes are charged on guns an ammo. Is that really true? If so, is it only for WV residents or for anyone?

If for anyone, can someone recommend a decent LGS between Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg?
    Keep in mind that Delaware has no sales tax on anything!!!

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Didn’t the California Governor just get a bill passed to drop gun and ammo tax there?

:lol2:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It was a secret reloading honey hole until MDS found out about it.
    Boochee. A guy I used to shoot matches with lives less than five miles from there. Been a good spot with good people for a while. Hahaha.

I miss the days of riding up to a distributor in North PA with some guys to pick up a literal truckload of stuff.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If you are looking for an FFL with good prices in Charles Town area, give Ray's guns in Inwood a look-see. They have the best prices around the area, at least from what I've seen so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom