• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Specifically on a pistol carbine gun (9mm) - not an AR/AK
    The gun is considered to be a pistol (HQL was required).
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jim

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No, that would make it a SBR, which would violate state and federal law without a tax stamp. Get a Form 1 NFA tax stamp and you could legally put a folder on it if it meets MD guidelines.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    No, that would make it a SBR, which would violate state and federal law without a tax stamp. Get a Form 1 NFA tax stamp and you could legally put a folder on it if it meets MD guidelines.

'IF' means it has to be 29" and can't have a flash hider.

All the pics I see online show SKS's with folders and detachable box magazines. The later are a NO GO in MD as are > 10 round mags, but if there are folders where you use the stock mag, you would be good to go.

Edit I assumed you were adding it to a pre 2013 SKS. If it was already modified in 2013, that is different.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The General Assembly didn't know nuthin' about braces. If used as dictated by ATF they are not legally stocks, nor functionally as good as stocks.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I know you said folding "stock," but if you wanted to keep it in pistol configuration you could always do something like this: (not my gun or picture, I found it on google). If I recall correctly, AR pistols aren't subject to the copycat evil feature test. Even if they were, the law says "folding stock" not "folding buffer tube."

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      12.1 KB · Views: 3,641

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    what about on a rifle that wask bought before oct 1 2013? SKS.

I don't know how accurate this is...hopefully someone can chime in.

I have heard that changing out the stock will remove C&R status and also need to be 922r compliant.

IANAL

Edit: Found a thread about it. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=112620
    There's an added layer of issues with the C&R status like AAco says. Substitute SKS with AR15 (let's say a Bushmaster that is currently banned as an "assault long gun") and I believe you would be GTG. An assault long gun cannot also be a copycat weapon (the evil feature test determines if it's a copycat weapon or not). IANAL

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    -mini 14 with a folding stock is banned.
    -semi auto shotgun with a folding stock is banned.
    -any seminauto centerfire rifle with the ability to accept detachable magazines and more than one of the following is banned: folding stock, grenade launcher, flash hider.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    I know you said folding "stock," but if you wanted to keep it in pistol configuration you could always do something like this: (not my gun or picture, I found it on google). If I recall correctly, AR pistols aren't subject to the copycat evil feature test. Even if they were, the law says "folding stock" not "folding buffer tube."

My bad - technically it would be a folding empty tube (no spring or buffer) with a thordsen cheek saddle on it.

OAL would be under 29"

Legal or not?

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    My bad - technically it would be a folding empty tube (no spring or buffer) with a thordsen cheek saddle on it.

OAL would be under 29"

Legal or not?

So you would take your AR pistol and just add a folding adapter? AFAIK, that's perfectly legal. OAL can be under 29" as long as you don't put a stock on it. But how is it going to cycle without a spring or buffer?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    If you're talking about a CZ Scorpion, a folding mechanism with a Sig brace (or other brace) is fine. If you want an actual stock, you need a Form 1 and an OAL of >29 inches.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    You can have a folding stock on a post 10/2013 semi-auto rifle, you just have to get raid of the flash hider and your grenade launcher. Its easy...... Buy a brake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom