• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I know pretty much all dealers are saying they have to sell you a new lock. But by looking at the way the law is wrote, it states it has to be sold or transferred with a lock. Whats to stop me from bringing my own lock? Sounds like a lot of dealers are trying to make a buck.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Maybe All Of The Small Dealers Should Go Out Of Business So Everyone Can Buy From Walfart And Gandy Big Hill !!!!!

Thats a great business plan :lol::lol:

I'll just go down the street to a shop that will do it the way I want to do it. Isn't a free market great?

Thats exactly the reason I didn't buy a gun from Just Guns in Baltimore.... They wanted $50 for a transfer and wouldn't ship in a new rifle for me (they wanted me to buy their gun for $300 more :rolleyes:).... So instead of giving ANY money to them, I found a guy in BelAir who would do the transfer for $25... Thats a great way to hold a customer base :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Here's a scenario for you numidian, lets say we all decide to buy from the internet and then all the good small dealers go out of business, who's gonna do the transfer for you then? If the local dealer is within a hundred dollars of the internet guy you would do well to buy from the local dealer. As far as the lock being with the gun, the local dealers are only covering their butts making you buy one from them, they can then prove by a receipt that the gun left the store with an approved locking device.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Here's a scenario for you numidian, lets say we all decide to buy from the internet and then all the good small dealers go out of business, who's gonna do the transfer for you then? If the local dealer is within a hundred dollars of the internet guy you would do well to buy from the local dealer. As far as the lock being with the gun, the local dealers are only covering their butts making you buy one from them, they can then prove by a receipt that the gun left the store with an approved locking device.

I'll go to the guy in Bel Air doing transfers out of his kitchen...

Now don't get me wrong... I'll pay a little more, but you need to be at least in the same ball park and you better be giving me some damn good customer service or some other sort of perks...

Those are the two reasons I didn't buy from Just Guns... 1. They were priced way over what I got my gun for over the internet 2. The one guy in the shop needed a serious attitude adjustment (the old guy with the cane was awesome however...I felt bad walking away from him...but he chose to work with the other idiot)

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Another scenario:

The new owner brings an "approved locking device" to the transfer and installs it, before signing papers, leaving. :confused: :innocent0

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County

Now don't get me wrong... I'll pay a little more, but you need to be at least in the same ball park and you better be giving me some damn good customer service or some other sort of perks...

Those are the two reasons I didn't buy from Just Guns... 1. They were priced way over what I got my gun for over the internet 2. The one guy in the shop needed a serious attitude adjustment (the old guy with the cane was awesome however...I felt bad walking away from him...but he chose to work with the other idiot)

I doubt many will disagree with your assessment of Just Guns. Heck, I wouldn't even consider them to be "one of the little guys" by definition.

sniper350

Oct 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Bigbrad is correct ....... the handgun must be TRANSFERed with an internal lock if made after Jan.1 2003. The law is very clear ......... no dealer can "sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State"........ TRANSFER is the key word here ........

If you sell you handgun to your neighbor and want to do it legally and have it TRANSFERED to the new owner ..........the dealer must see to it that the weapon has an internal lock ! It Sucks, but that's the law.

JF.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Bigbrad is correct ....... the handgun must be TRANSFERed with an internal lock if made after Jan.1 2003. The law is very clear ......... no dealer can "sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State"........ TRANSFER is the key word here ........

If you sell you handgun to your neighbor and want to do it legally and have it TRANSFERED to the new owner ..........the dealer must see to it that the weapon has an internal lock ! It Sucks, but that's the law.

JF.
    The word transfer also applies to gifts, trades or transfer if the dealer is not the one that sold it and that is why it is in there. The key word is "dealer". If you go through the state police or if you sell to a dealer or another FFL, then the law should not apply because it only applies to dealers selling, renting or transferring.

(d) "Dealer" means a person who is engaged in the business of:

(1) selling, renting, or transferring firearms at wholesale or retail; or

(2) repairing firearms.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    Got to love how certain gun models have been around before and after that law took affect. Get one used in, put a lock in it or not? They expect me to run SNs on every single one of them?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Another scenario:

The new owner brings an "approved locking device" to the transfer and installs it, before signing papers, leaving. :confused: :innocent0

I don't see how that covers the dealers ass if they start crawling up it wondering why the gun didn't have an approved locking device when transferred, the dealer can't prove it did.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I don't see how that covers the dealers ass if they start crawling up it wondering why the gun didn't have an approved locking device when transferred, the dealer can't prove it did.

So the purchaser signs a piece of paper saying the gun came with a lock.

Thats what we did at Dick's...every gun we sold, the purchaser signed a paper that said they recieved a gunlock with the gun.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

First and foremost, I agree with the reason you did what you did there. I don't agree with using a guy that works out of his basement, as he isn't doing a damn thing to help us gun owners imo, I would have went to a small brick and mortar shop and used them instead as well as given them the opportunity to be competitive with the price.

*steps up on soap box*
    We, especially those of us in this neck of the woods where gun shops are scarce and decent ones almost non existent, need to find a smaller shop where they are actually doing something for us in this state. We owe it to our fellow 2A supporters and our future of having gun stores to buy locally whenever possible. *steps down from soap box*

I don't know about just guns cause I have never bought from them, is that the old valley gun?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    So the purchaser signs a piece of paper saying the gun came with a lock.

Thats what we did at Dick's...every gun we sold, the purchaser signed a paper that said they recieved a gunlock with the gun.

Now that would be a great way to handle it, how come you can't do that BIG BRAD, instead of making them buy a lock from the gun store?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I like getting FREE gun locks from the Montgomery County Police Department. They just give 'em away. I don't have one gun lock in use on a gun. :lol2: However, they do make GREAT locks for my handcart at work! :lol2:

Oh by the way those who are thinking about robbing me because my guns aren't locked up, they are locked in a nice safe.:thumbsup: Well the ones that don't have any ammo in them anyway. :lol2:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I like getting FREE gun locks from the Montgomery County Police Department. They just give 'em away.

Do you just walk in and ask, like tell em I have ten guns and need locks for em? One can never have enough good locks around the house ya know.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Do you just walk in and ask, like tell em I have ten guns and need locks for em? One can never have enough good locks around the house ya know.

Just ask if they have gun locks. I've always been taught to not give more information than is needed. If you want ten gun locks, I would take 5 trips at two gun locks each. I try not to be too greedy. Plus other people may actually NEED them. The Department usually only has less than one small case at a time. Then they order another when they get low. I know this because I deliver them by UPS. Damn, are those boxes heavy too.

The ones they give out for free are better than anyone I have gotten when I bought a gun. They are nice strong sturdy and thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom