Are Butterfly/Switchblade Knives Illegal? Or NFA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Every once in awhile (like today), I read something about someone having a butterfly (or switchblade) knife, but there's no mention of being prosecuted. I thought these were all illegal? Or, are they legal with a tax stamp or something similar?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You can own them in Maryland.

You cannot carry them concealed. You can open carry them, but only 'with out intent to harm or scare' or something like that. So basically you cannot carry one.

But you can own them.

No stamp needed.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm incredulous! I think most people, myself included, have always understood these types of knives to be illegal nationwide.
    I really do learn something new every day here. Thanks, guys.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Also, "butterfly" and "switchblade" are different types of knives. A butterfly knife is considered a pen knife and has no restrictions as to how it's carried.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Also, "butterfly" and "switchblade" are different types of knives. A butterfly knife is considered a pen knife and has no restrictions as to how it's carried.

I always thought a butterfly knife was a "gravity knife" and carrying one concealed is illegal.

Maryland Case Law:
    - "'Gravity knife' constituted a dangerous or deadly weapon."
    (1964)
    - "Pocketknife with the blade already open did not require
    any time to open the knife, as one would with a penknife,
    contained all the offensive qualities of a switchblade or
    gravity knife because it was instantly available for
    violent use, and was not a penknife within the statutory
    exception." (1990)

http://knife-expert.com/md.txt

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Article - Criminal Law
    [Previous][Next]
    §4–101.
    (a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (2) “Nunchaku” means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.
    (3) (i) “Pepper mace” means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.
    (ii) “Pepper mace” is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.
    (4) “Star knife” means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.
    (5) (i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.
    (ii) “Weapon” does not include:
    1. a handgun; or
    2. a penknife without a switchblade.
    (b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:
    (1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer’s official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator’s official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;
    (2) a special agent of a railroad;
    (3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or
    (4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.
    (c) (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    (3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, St. Mary’s County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County.
    (ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while:
    1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or
    2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity.
    (d) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.
    (2) For a person convicted under subsection (c)(1) or (2) of this section, if it appears from the evidence that the weapon was carried, concealed or openly, with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another, the court shall impose the highest sentence of imprisonment prescribed.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It seems balisongs are considered gravity knives in many places -- likely here too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_knife#Legal_status

Not that many laws aimed towards dangerous objects and weapons are arbitrary or anything... but I'm near certain I can deploy my unassisted folding pocket knife as quickly or more quickly than a balisong. The law is really illogical, but at least there are no restrictions on owning them. My wife owns a few herself.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Last time I looked at the law automatic knives are illegal to sell or import into MD by internet sale or other unless you're ordering for official military or local or federal law enforcement use. You can legally own here as said and can purchase in states allowing sales outside of Maryland. Think of it as the 30 rd magazine situation, you break the law if you make transaction here and receive here but go to VA. buy and brink back and all is good. I would not carry as local ordenances can screw you up on even assisted openers.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Where'd the NFA part come from? Seems more appropriate in the edge weapons forum.

Kinda looks like a butterfly knife... and it's NFA :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402440805.197122.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    my dad let me buy my first butterfly knife in Tennessee when i was 12 years old.... i cut the hell out of myself with that thing. haha

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Last time I looked at the law automatic knives are illegal to sell or import into MD by internet sale or other unless you're ordering for official military or local or federal law enforcement use. You can legally own here as said and can purchase in states allowing sales outside of Maryland. Think of it as the 30 rd magazine situation, you break the law if you make transaction here and receive here but go to VA. buy and brink back and all is good. I would not carry as local ordenances can screw you up on even assisted openers.

Sales of switchblades to civilians in Virginia are illegal.

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/06/know-your-knife-laws-10-virginia/

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Unless you have practiced A LOT or were born in the Philippines, you cannot open a butterfly knife any faster than a pen knife. Now I know a few guys that were born in the Philippines that can open them faster than you can open a switchblade.
    IMHO.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Unless you have practiced A LOT or were born in the Philippines, you cannot open a butterfly knife any faster than a pen knife. Now I know a few guys that were born in the Philippines that can open them faster than you can open a switchblade.
    IMHO.

Practice indeed...

Edit:
    HOLY CRAP. Jolie has skillz

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    IMHO.

lol.. insert racist pic here.

just find you comment funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom