are AR pistols legal to build in maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    From what I gather through buying it online it still seems that you choose on the forms what it will be built into.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

It doesn't seem to matter. Before it's built into a non-banned configuration it is the receiver of a banned rifle which is banned. I don't think you'll find an FFL in the state that will accept one and transfer to you with the promise you'll build it into a non-banned item.

For the record, I think we should be able to get stripped lowers under the current law. The responsibility to build into a non-banned item should fall on us. I view it as similar to when I bought a 14.5" barrel. There were warnings on the website, and the responsibility was mine to be careful not to make it into a rifle before I got the flash hider pinned. I just don't think any FFLs are willing (and I don't blame them) to make the argument that what they'd be transferring isn't the receiver of a banned rifle, but the receiver of an HBAR or pistol because that's what the buyer said he was going to make with it.

There are several threads discussing this to the nth degree.

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    It doesn't seem to matter. Before it's built into a non-banned configuration it is the receiver of a banned rifle which is banned. I don't think you'll find an FFL in the state that will accept one and transfer to you with the promise you'll build it into a non-banned item.

For the record, I think we should be able to get stripped lowers under the current law. The responsibility to build into a non-banned item should fall on us. I view it as similar to when I bought a 14.5" barrel. There were warnings on the website, and the responsibility was mine to be careful not to make it into a rifle before I got the flash hider pinned. I just don't think any FFLs are willing (and I don't blame them) to make the argument that what they'd be transferring isn't the receiver of a banned rifle, but the receiver of an HBAR or pistol because that's what the buyer said he was going to make with it.

There are several threads discussing this to the nth degree.

I hear you but isn't that the same premise of I won't use this to go kill someone? They're basically trusting you to do what you are signing away that you will do. Being a responsible gun owner.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I hear you but isn't that the same premise of I won't use this to go kill someone? They're basically trusting you to do what you are signing away that you will do. Being a responsible gun owner.

No disagreement. We all think it's a stupid implementation of an epically stupid law.

I'm just pointing out that in the current real world no one will sell you a stripped lower.

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I hear you. I have a direct office number for Cpl. Edwards at MSP HQL and Licensing Division. I was told to call back in a few hours because they were in a meeting. I'll update and hopefully I can get something in writing if it's a positive conversation.

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    So I talked to Corporal Edwards and was told that they are working on the language for buying and registering a stripped lower and to call back in two weeks because they aren't ready to comment on it yet. I may just buy the receiver and have it shipped to my FFL and just do the paperwork and send it off. If it doesn't go through I'll just sell it back to the FFL and he can sell it. I'll keep this updated.

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Like I said, he said they weren't prepared to comment quite yet. as soon as i get some info in a few weeks I'll post up. He said if you had an 80% or a metal block you could make your own which has been the case but I guess they're still trying to determine the legality under the new laws of the stripped receiver.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Like I said, he said they weren't prepared to comment quite yet. as soon as i get some info in a few weeks I'll post up. He said if you had an 80% or a metal block you could make your own which has been the case but I guess they're still trying to determine the legality under the new laws of the stripped receiver.

Whoah. So even if its after oct 1st. you can finish an 80%, as long as its built into a pistol? thats pretty cool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    That's what he made it seem like. I think we all know better than that though. The milling process would have had to be done before the October deadline.

Jeip24

Jan 14, 2012
    Baltimore
    If engages e4 pistol is on the roster shouldn't they be able to sell complete pistol lowers? Does anyone know if this is an option?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The statement in Post #48 would actually be a Radical Change in previous policies.

Of course until it oFficially enshrined at least in the form of MSP Letterhead with his signsture , if not properly eneacted COMAR , it is only verbal masterbation with no legal standing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, how do I get a short barrel upper for my never assembled, pre Oct 1 stripped lower? I'm assuming these are what AR pistols use?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do you know if your pre Oct 1 lower was an 'O' on the 4473?

I will have to check my paperwork tonight.

And +1 on the short barrel upper question.

No clue. I'll check later. My daughter, the Valedictorian, is graduating high school today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom