• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    These are exactly the types of things that I'm asking for an expert to help with.

I'm also super tall, so setup is going to be a challenge. Got fit by 3J's a few years ago at 31.5" draw. Since then I've just been guessing, flinging arrows in my backyard. If I've lucky, I can hold about a 4-5" group at 30 yards. I want to halve that.

You'd be amazed how accurate you could get, properly set up.

Assuming you have a compound bow:

1) Make sure your bow is the right size/draw length(if you've changed bows since your original bow).

2) Go to a pro shop and have a 'loop' put on your string for use in conjunction with a mechanical release. Either a single or double caliper type. No back pressure releases to start out on. The pro will put the draw loop in the correct place on your string.

3) Do you have sights on your bow? If not, buy some and have them installed by the pro. Either a single moveable pin or multiple pin sight.

4) Have a peep sight put in your bow string. Also a 'kisser' button.

5) Make sure your arrows are the proper spine for the length and draw weight you are shooting with.

6) Get a good fall-away arrow rest. The pro can install and center everything up properly for you.

7) Lastly, if you plan on hunting out west, you might invest in a laser range finder. It will be invaluable to you.

All these will enable you to develop a repeatable draw, anchor, aim, and release.

A couple other aspects of archery hunting-
    Learn to draw you bow very slowly as you raise the bow up. This is crucial when hunting live animals. Also give a little practice in letting you draw back down(it's harder than it sounds) in case you have to wait for a better shot angle etc.

Now, draw your bow. Achieve your anchor point. Aim your bow. Applying forward pressure with your holding arm while keeping rearward pressure with your release arm, move your trigger finger onto the trigger of the release. Keeping the dot of the pin sight 'floating' on your target, apply slow pressure to the trigger until the shot breaks. MOST IMPORTANT- DO NOT MOVE YOUR BOW UNTIL YOU HEAR YOUR ARROW HIT ITS TARGET. That's called follow through and without it, is the source of most misses.

Attachments

• loop.jpg
      loop.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 161
    • sight.jpg
      sight.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 159
    • peep.jpg
      peep.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 155
    • kisser.jpg
      kisser.jpg