• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    I know some of you here have these uppers, what are your opinions on them? I have a chance to pick one up while I am on TDY for $500...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you can get the 50 rnd mags too, can't think of a good reason to say not to.

Have only shot a handful of 5.7 uppers, but they ran well and were fun to shoot.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    $500 is a good deal, best I have seen lately is $600.

One is on my list, especially given I should be able to build it on a current lower as opposed to a pre-FSA lower. its not an AR and about as mechanically different as can be conceived.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    $500.00 sounds like a very good deal !! I have been wanting to pick 1 up but haven't seen them that cheap.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Yeah comes with an actual P90 mag, 50 rounds of 5.7 ammo as well. Kinda planning on using it with my MGI Hydra setup as an additional upper I can switch to.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Gen1 or gen2? I think the 2s just came out. They sent me an email but I don't remember the differences. We're pretty minor IIRC.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Gen1 or gen2? I think the 2s just came out. They sent me an email but I don't remember the differences. We're pretty minor IIRC.
    According to Brownells:
    The Gen 2 is one pound lighter thanks to a fluted barrel. The new model also features an updated charging handle, ambidextrous magazine release and an extended rear rail. The extended rear rail allows for the mounting of a wider variety of optics.
    The extended rear rail is a bit ugly, but the rest of it sounds pretty slick... don't know if I'd call them "minor" upgrades, per se.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    don't know if I'd call them "minor" upgrades, per se.
    I've been interested in one of these since I shot rsideout's suppressed one. If they came out w/ ambi charging I'd be more interested. I don't understand why people design right side only charging handles on when we righties outnumber the lefties almost 10:1. Only HK gets it right (well, and all the ambi's like Sig, Tavor, etc.) The 'AK reach around' is awkward in public:lol2:.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    $500 is a good deal for the upper. The price is this ammo has come down. There was a deal on PSA last week at $13 or $14/box.

One minor note on the Gen 1. If you plan to run this on an M16 or RR lower, the full auto bolt carrier will not work with a stock Gen 1 receiver. You will need to send it back to AR57.com for minor modification. I sent my 6" and 12" AR57 uppers back to them for this modification. They did the modification in a day and shipped them back. Below is a link to an old thread on the AR57. Post #7 has my FA videos.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143654&highlight=Ar57+full+auto

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was thinking that dumping a pound of weight was the most impressive part of the gen 2 upgrade. Every ounce counts, and that goes 16x for every pound. :)

Left-hand charging handles can be annoying when you're a rightie running your rifle in a sling. Poke you in the chest, snag on your gear, etc. Folding CHs can relieve that, but can also make it annoying to grab the handle on the fly (one of my gripes with the PTR-91/G3/HK91).

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    $500 is a good deal for the upper. The price is this ammo has come down. There was a deal on PSA last week at $13 or $14/box.

One minor note on the Gen 1. If you plan to run this on an M16 or RR lower, the full auto bolt carrier will not work with a stock Gen 1 receiver. You will need to send it back to AR57.com for minor modification. I sent my 6" and 12" AR57 uppers back to them for this modification. They did the modification in a day and shipped them back. Below is a link to an old thread on the AR57. Post #7 has my FA videos.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143654&highlight=Ar57+full+auto

I will make note of that :P but it will be a long long time before I have a full auto lower lol....

ziptiespec

rsideout is right, the 5.7 ammo to feed this upper, the PS90, and the FiveseveN pistol has been in the same price territory as 9mm. PSA seems to have the AE 5.7 @ $13.99/50 pretty regularly.

As for the AR57 upper, there have been a couple of threads on reddit.com/r/guns about one redditor's issues with his. It seems like the company has non-existent QC and CS. At least, as of late. I can't find the posts right now. From my memory there were issues where it wouldn't go fully into battery and could potentially have allowed OOB discharge issues.

I'll keep looking for the threads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom