AR15 Trigger Upgrade - Whats your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO smdub:

The AGL ACT is mil-spec and interchangeable also. The only difference between that and the QMS is that the ACT is carburized with either a nickel or Teflon coating, to further enhance the smoothness of pull. They advertise about 6lbs, but mostly average 5.5. If you combine this with the adjustable trigger screw from mch28 for only $15 + $3 shipping, you will/should have a very nice trigger, mil-spec safe and reliable, for about almost $100 less than most of the others.

I have tried the new Giselle 2 stage for $180 I did like a lot, but I kinda missed that glass break feel for the second stage, but I could very easily live with it. But money being tight, I am first going with the ACT + trigger screw with standard full power springs to start. This not only saves me the money, but can always be used for something in the future. Like a dedicated .22lr I will be building at some point if I prefer something else afterwards.

Ihink I can further polish all contact points and get that down to about 5 lbs, which, if smooth with no creep or grittiness, is fine for me. If I were buying a more expensive trigger name brand, I would opt for the 4.5lb option. As in the heat of the moment, this is what I believe to be the best pull weight. Safe, reliable, and smooth...that's what I want for my everyday carbine. For a precision long range varmint or a bench rest rifle, well then 3-3.5 would be what I want. But, that is a whole different ball game.

This is just my 2 cents anyways.....:-) The RRA National Match for $120 is also a major contender in there..

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    While I am a dedicated Geissele fan boy, I should note a good budget setup. I've found that a NiB-coated mil spec trigger group (I've only tried Spikes), together with a grip bolt trigger adjuster and a good moly grease make for a surprisingly impressive budget trigger.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Ive narrowed it down to the ALG ACT and the Geissele SSA or SSA-E. Im working out my budget as it will be the deciding factor.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    flpz..

I have idpa match tomorrow and don't know what time it will be over.. if I have time in the afternoon.. I can meet with you at msar.. I can bring my ar-10 with giesselle ssa-e on it. you're more than welcome to test it out.

:)

Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    You should also look at the Geissele 2 Stage, its the new budget model. Basically identical performance to the SSA, with some manufacturing processes cut out or streamlined to reduce production cost.

I have both a SSA and the ALG QMS, my buddy has the 2 stage and the Geissele trigger for his ACR. The ALG is a very respectable trigger for its price point, and is what I am using in my lower end builds. But its still a single stage trigger, even though its a good one, it doesn't give you the same benefits of the 2 stage. The G2S is a pretty good bargain, and you aren't going to get much better performance from the SSA. If you have the money you could spring for one of the higher end Geissele models. I have heard really good things about the Tricon. I'm building a few rifles right now and couldn't afford to run Geissele's in all of them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    SSA-E.

Of course I'm a bit biased, currently have over 11k trouble-free rounds thru one. Never regretted spending the money either.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Does anyone have experience with the Geissele SD-E?

Yes, I have installed a few. They feel nice but I don't like 2-stage triggers on anything but match/bench rifles. The flat (SLIGHTLY curved) trigger is nice though.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    If you shoot your rifle just 1000 times a Geissele comes out to 18-26 cents per pull vs 4-7 cents per pull for an ALG trigger. To me, with the cost of ammo, and the hassle of going shooting (getting child care set up, commute to the range, range wait time, clean up, etc) I'm going to do whatever I can to have the most enjoyable experience I can while at the range. This runs the gambit from having good ammo, lots of pre-loaded mags, and of course nice equipment (to include functional upgrades).

Many will talk about how they get by with stock or a spikes, ALG, RRA 2-stage, etc. But why get by when you can have arguably the best trigger in the business for pennies per pull more?

With all the cool crap you can do to an AR, I don't think there is part that has a better return on investment than a nice trigger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can buy a Hyundai or a BMW. Both get you there. Your choice. :)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I decided to go with the ALG ACT this go around. I figure I can try it out in my billet midlength for now and then when my Form1 is approved for another lower switch it to the SBR and order an SSA-E or SD-E for the midlength.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm a mil-spec trigger guy and really like the ALG ACT FCGs. That said, I'm really loving the KAC two stage trigger on the SR-15. It's made me a believer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Those with the less expensive options, have you tried a Geissele?

My Hi Speed Match DMR is two stage. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom