AR15 Style Complete Uppers - Who's the Best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I have an Adcor Defense Lower. I want an Adcor defense complete piston upper. Problem is it's $1,500 - $1,850. So if I can't have the best, what's a close second that's much cheaper?

Scarab

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    What does "much cheaper" mean to you? If you give a price range, I am sure you will get some good ideas.

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    I have an Adcor Defense Lower. I want an Adcor defense complete piston upper. Problem is it's $1,500 - $1,850. So if I can't have the best, what's a close second that's much cheaper?

Scarab

If you are anything like me, if you buy anything other than what you want you won't be satisfied. That decision will sit in the back of your head, that you settled for something sub par. I do this.

I am just curious, does the price tag bother you because you can't buy it 'now'?

I recently did this with my rails. I'm on a lower budget than you so I see Daniel Defense and Troy as 'high end' per my budget constraints. I was looking at MI as a substitute, I eventually said no and waited until I had the funds for what I really wanted. My issue was I wanted it now and didn't want to wait :innocent0

Sorry I don't have any recommendations as a replacement but I'm trying to encourage you. If you will have the money in the future wait a few months to get what you really want :party29:

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Have to agree with other on this. If there's something you really want, just wait until you can actually afford it. As to which gas system, just make sure you get your facts straight before you fully commit to something. I used to be all for piston uppers until I learned about the proprietary BS that follows along with other random issues.

In the end it's all preference (as we all know), but the best thing is to have full knowledge of what you are buying before you spend a bunch of money on something you could potentially regret purchasing/owning.

My $0.02.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    B-C-M gets my vote.

Most of the guys i see with piston uppers have a) not fired it yet and b) plan to hold it and stare at it and tell their friiends how it's "like the best of the AR and AK in one RAD rifle" more than fire it.

Just my opinion but Piston uppers often have a hipster behind them, not always but often. :innocent0

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Get what you want, you know you want a matching rifle. No sense is driving yourself crazy. Wait a few months, save some more coin and do it how you want to do it.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

Scarab

I do not classify an Adcor piston upper as the best or anywhere close to it. If I were to recommend a piston upper, it would be a HK MR223 or a LMT MRP. I have owned and/or been issued:

HK 416
    LMT MRP
    2x POF
    4x LWRCI

I have fired the Colt 6940 piston system, and would also rate it highly, but it is not widely available to my knowledge.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County

Most of the guys i see with piston uppers have a) not fired it yet and b) plan to hold it and stare at it and tell their friiends how it's "like the best of the AR and AK in one RAD rifle" more than fire it.

Just my opinion but Piston uppers often have a hipster behind them, not always but often. :innocent0

Not all of us are experienced with ARs. Those of us who have lowers to complete, and are considering gas piston uppers, post here looking for informed guidance, not belittlement. And anyway, hipsters are apparently people, too ;), and I'll take one piston-owning, 2A-voting hipster to ten anti-normies any day.

But thanks for prompting me to look up these words. My kids hate it when I use modern terms like these.

I'm still on the fence about how I want to complete my two rifles, but currently am leaning toward an Adcor piston, and a mid-length BCM.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    I'm not understanding the attraction of the piston upper

Get yourself some hipster glasses, a cool hipster haircut, and a import "race car" that runs 18 second quarter miles and you'll be able to be one of the piston upper guys!

I know their is a place for them on the high end market and some may swear but them, but ADCOR is not high end (as another has said). I've seen a few LWRC and they seem nice. For the average guy though, DI.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Not all of us are experienced with ARs. Those of us who have lowers to complete, post here looking for informed guidance, not belittlement. And anyway, hipsters are apparently people, too ;), and I'll take one piston-owning, 2A-voting hipster to ten anti-normies any day.

But thanks for prompting me to look up these words. My kids hate it when I use modern terms like these.

I'm still on the fence about how I want to complete my two rifles, but currently am leaning toward an Adcor piston, and a mid-length BCM.

If you want a piston upper, I highly recommend the LMT over the ADCOR. You can PM me if you need to discuss.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Not all of us are experienced with ARs. Those of us who have lowers to complete, and are considering gas piston uppers, post here looking for informed guidance, not belittlement. And anyway, hipsters are apparently people, too ;), and I'll take one piston-owning, 2A-voting hipster to ten anti-normies any day.

Did you mean bullying? Or belittling? :D

Search feature is the best friend of a new guy. DI vs piston driven has been discussed here... Our friendly gunsmiths have even weighed in on matter to help out as well.

I'd vote again for the midlength BCM. Some of the options they have with centurion, DD and other rails are perfect for any build in my opinion.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If you want a piston upper, I highly recommend the LMT over the ADCOR. You can PM me if you need to discuss.

Listen to Kevp, he's a good source of info.

While I haven't had a problem with my LWRCs, I haven't put enough rounds through mine to absolutely recommend them and I know others have had problems with theirs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think you're right. I need to just suck it up and be patient and get what I really want.

Scarab

Yep, wait for what you want. I bought some complete rifle kits from PSA just to build up these lowers before October 1, 2013. However, I will be replacing almost everything on them with what I specifically want and then selling the PSA stuff on gunbroker unfired. Thing is, what I really want is going to run $1,500+ per upper versus $550 for a complete rifle kit.

Patience is a virtue. Buy once, cry once. Now, I have a couple of POS AR guns that I want to upgrade yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom