• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    When I got my AR I made the decision to put on an LPVO. I went with the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1.6. It is on an Aero mount and I added a throw ring. While I like the optic I kind of feel like I want a red dot. Not sure which one. I feel like I am doing more shooting at 200yds and in and most at 100yds and in. With any type of speed shots I think my ability to acquire the target is much quicker with the red dot. Maybe that is just that I am not practicing enough. I have thought about getting a 45deg mount and running both but not sure about how that would work out either. Plus the Viper PST is adding a bit of extra weight. Any advise from some of the AR experts here???

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Far from expert but
    I use a 1-5 30mm with an illuminated reticle on my 2/3g and I really like it. My eyes like the magnification at the 200&300 yard plates and the rest of the match it’s at 1 power. I have more of that type scope than any other.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i have both red dots, and lpvos. i prefer holographic sights and magnifier. the lpvo has its place for longer ranges. i just don't care for the extra weight on the rifle all the time and then add an offset red dot which adds even more weight. i also don't like the eye relief/eye box on the lpvos. i have the magnifier on a qd mount that can be taken off the rifle when i am not shooting at distance. this will cut down on the weight. i like eotechs. i have astigmatism. the dot on the red dots i have look like a star burst to my eyes. the eotechs works better for me. vortex optics are heavy. other brands can be lighter. this debate is never ending you may have to try a red dot and see if it works for you. here is something for you viewing pleasure from brass facts

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Maybe I should just buy another AR and red dot it. Then I can have a 300yd. gun and a 100yd and in gun. I do like the LWRC's.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I got my AR I made the decision to put on an LPVO. I went with the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1.6. It is on an Aero mount and I added a throw ring. While I like the optic I kind of feel like I want a red dot. Not sure which one. I feel like I am doing more shooting at 200yds and in and most at 100yds and in. With any type of speed shots I think my ability to acquire the target is much quicker with the red dot. Maybe that is just that I am not practicing enough. I have thought about getting a 45deg mount and running both but not sure about how that would work out either. Plus the Viper PST is adding a bit of extra weight. Any advise from some of the AR experts here???
    I'm not an expert, but I think you might be overthinking it.

I discussed some of this kind of thing with my nephew who was special forces. His optic setup of choice was an Eotech holographic with a 5x magnifier. He felt that acquistion with an LPVO or ACOG was too slow, and he liked that there was almost no parallax with the holographic sight - it didn't matter what angle he viewed it, if the sight was on target, so were his rounds. For him, speed of acquisition actually mattered.

I have an astigmatism, so red dot sights are out for me, so in my combination of ARs, I have two with LPVOs and one with a 3x prism sight. For my purposes, both types of optics are fine. I've never used a holographic, so I can't speak with any firsthand experience on that, but I like the idea of magnification.

If you're really looking for the best of both worlds, you could do a holographic with a variable magnifier - the Eotech G45 magnifier allows you to use it as a 1x up to 5x, so with a red-dot or holographic, you'd have the best of both worlds.

Or not. I think I'd be happy with the Viper PST 1-6 LPVO.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm not an expert, but I think you might be overthinking it.

I discussed some of this kind of thing with my nephew who was special forces. His optic setup of choice was an Eotech holographic with a 5x magnifier. He felt that acquistion with an LPVO or ACOG was too slow, and he liked that there was almost no parallax with the holographic sight - it didn't matter what angle he viewed it, if the sight was on target, so were his rounds. For him, speed of acquisition actually mattered.

I have an astigmatism, so red dot sights are out for me, so in my combination of ARs, I have two with LPVOs and one with a 3x prism sight. For my purposes, both types of optics are fine. I've never used a holographic, so I can't speak with any firsthand experience on that, but I like the idea of magnification.

If you're really looking for the best of both worlds, you could do a holographic with a variable magnifier - the Eotech G45 magnifier allows you to use it as a 1x up to 5x, so with a red-dot or holographic, you'd have the best of both worlds.

Or not. I think I'd be happy with the Viper PST 1-6 LPVO.
    I do have a tendency to overthink things. lol.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I do have a tendency to overthink things. lol.
    I tend to as well - I think that gun guys have a tendency to try to go for "the best" - for whatever that means, and it can mean something different for each of us.

I mentioned that I have two LPVO's - one is an Athlon Optics Helos 1-4, and the other is a Victoptics 1-6. I should have saved my money on the Victoptics - at some point I'll sell that to help fund something better.

The Athlon I like a lot, which is surprising for as cheap as it is - I actually scored a 1st shot hit on a 1 lb can of Tannerite at 200 yards last weekend with the AR sporting that optic - it's clear and it's right on the money, but as you've said, fast acquisition isn't its forte.

As long as you don't have an astigmatism, I think you'd like a red dot/magnifier combination. I'm thinking of going holographic on at least one rifle because I like the idea of a reflex sight, but with my astigmatism, red dots are problematic.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have run all of the listed things.

LVPOs big advantage is the Mag at longer ranges, but close up they take practice and tuning to make sure your cheek weld is exactly the same so your eye gets into the eyebox quickly. Generally, I like them on .308 rifles.

A red dot plus a flip to side magnifier is heavier (usually) than an LVPO with less mag. (Some of the newer lighter red dots may get this weight down. I've only used a PRO and an EOTech)

An ACOG or fixed power Prism scope with a mini red dot on top works really well for speed and durability, especially when left eye shooting with the mini. I like them on full size AR15s. But they don't have much mag. To me this is the best option as you don't have to fiddle with anything to go from mag to no mag.

Bare red dots with a small dot (2moa-ish) are ok to 200 on COM hits but you won't be bullseye shooting with them. Generally I like these only on AR pistols , subguns and PDWs (room brooms) and belt feds. They are fast on target and forgiving of cheek weld

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Well, I have an older Eotech 552 (I think), takes AAs, has NV settings and is a circle dot reticle. I haven't experienced the temperature related zero shift to any noticeable degree and had L3 send me an upgrade kit for the battery contacts. It runs well and the reticle seems fast yet precise with the small center dot. I made a magnifier out of a surplus Hensoldt 2.5X optical sight for a Carl Gustav "bazooka". The glass in it is bright and crisp and I pulled the reticle plate out and reassembled it, stuck it in a Warne QD ring. Probably could find a pivot mount if I looked, but this is fine.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I always thought red-dots were for closer targets. Are they good to 100 yards? I'd love to see a grouping pic using a red-dot at 100 yards.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I always thought red-dots were for closer targets. Are they good to 100 yards? I'd love to see a grouping pic using a red-dot at 100 yards.
    Last weekend we had a guy rip a 1 lb tannerite canister at about 150 yards using an AR with a Vortex Strikefire II. To be fair, he had to walk it in with a few shots, but he was close every time.

We have two optics issued with our M4s - the CCO and RCO - essentially the Aimpoint red dot and the Trijicon ACOG, respectively. Most of our rifles are equipped with the Airmpoint, and as part of our marksmanship qualification there are a number of targets we have to try to shoot out to 300 yards - the pop-up silhouettes. Really no different than iron sights, but easier because it doesn't require looking through a peep sight for a sight picture.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I can hit a 12" plate at 200yds with a red dot. It's not hard. As to what setup you want/need it really depends on your philosophy of use. If it's a battle rifle home defense setup an Eotech or a red dot will be fine. If you are competing or shooting past 200yds consistently a scope would be better. I have two LPVOs I don't shoot with them as much as my red dot equipped guns. My 1-6X is on a deer gun so I can dial up if I need to shoot past 100yds. The other 1-6 I have sits in the safe.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    i have both red dots, and lpvos. i prefer holographic sights and magnifier. the lpvo has its place for longer ranges. i just don't care for the extra weight on the rifle all the time and then add an offset red dot which adds even more weight. i also don't like the eye relief/eye box on the lpvos. i have the magnifier on a qd mount that can be taken off the rifle when i am not shooting at distance. this will cut down on the weight. i like eotechs. i have astigmatism. the dot on the red dots i have look like a star burst to my eyes. the eotechs works better for me. vortex optics are heavy. other brands can be lighter. this debate is never ending you may have to try a red dot and see if it works for you. here is something for you viewing pleasure from brass facts

I agree with this just about 100%. I have numerous optic set-ups on ARs and for versatility and speed from 1 to 300 yards I think EOtechs with magnifiers are where it’s at.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I always thought red-dots were for closer targets. Are they good to 100 yards? I'd love to see a grouping pic using a red-dot at 100 yards
    Red dots on center mass size plates at 100 yds should be quickly and easily accomplished from from a stable firing position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom