• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arshooter

Nov 28, 2015
    I am in the market for a new barrel, preferrably a 16" (or 14.5 p/w). Where/what do you guys recommend? I'd like a CMV chrome lined barrel, but not 100% set on it. I've been having some trouble sourcing HBARs that are in stock.

I was looking at the Centurion 14.5" but I'd rather not pin and weld my first barrel on a $300 barrel.
    Also found the Ballistic Advantage HBAR, but was not chrome lined (this may be what I get)

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Depends how fast do you want it, if it has to be HBAR you may have to chose what is readily available or you can do email notifications at the sites below.

As for the pine and weld, who is going to do it? You, a gunsmith. A good gunsmith should be able to do it and you should never have an issue and if need be remove the pin later if you need to with a little work.

Same at BA website

Same at Aero

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    If you pick a caliber "other than .223/556" you can choose whatever barrel you want without worrying about it being HBAR.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I am in the market for a new barrel, preferrably a 16" (or 14.5 p/w). Where/what do you guys recommend? I'd like a CMV chrome lined barrel, but not 100% set on it. I've been having some trouble sourcing HBARs that are in stock.

I was looking at the Centurion 14.5" but I'd rather not pin and weld my first barrel on a $300 barrel.
    Also found the Ballistic Advantage HBAR, but was not chrome lined (this may be what I get)

Have to admit that I don't understand your reluctance to P/W the muzzle device on the barrel. Unless you're planning to re-sell the barrel in the future, this should not matter. I'm also really not sure chrome-lining matters as much as you think it does, but that's a separate discussion.

My BCM carbine (which I owned in VA originally) was made MD-complaint by Engage; I believe they use Centurion barrels (not sure, though). I like mine a lot - it's basically a mid-weight barrel marked HB. I believe they can install either 14.5" and 16" barrels, as I've seen them offer ARs in both lengths for sale (mine is a 14.5"). Not sure about other lengths.

Last edited:

arshooter

Nov 28, 2015
    Have to admit that I don't understand your reluctance to P/W the muzzle device on the barrel. Unless you're planning to re-sell the barrel in the future, this should not matter. I'm also really not sure chrome-lining matters as much as you think it does, but that's a separate discussion.

My BCM carbine (which I owned in VA originally) was made MD-complaint by Engage; I believe they use Centurion barrels (not sure, though). I like mine a lot - it's basically a mid-weight barrel marked HB. I believe offer 14.5" and 16" barrels, as I've seen them offer ARs in both lengths for sale (mine is a 14.5").
    Since, Centurion doesn't have the 16" in stock, maybe I will go with BCM. I will wait to order until after this weekend, I am going to the Timonium Gun Show and hoping they may have something there. Thanks for your suggestion and how to make it MD compliant!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

I have a BA barrel on one of my builds, and it's been pretty accurate from casual observation, but I have yet to really put it through the paces to check just how accurate it is - I just haven't spent that much time on it.

I think having a chrome lined barrel would be a great idea if you planned to shoot the ever-lovin' snot out of it, but if you shoot like me - maybe 300-500 rounds per year - does the additional durability of the chrome lined barrel matter that much?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Don't get hung up on chrome lining. Nitriding also makes for a very wear resistant and corrosion resistant surface, but has the added advantage of not really messing with dimensions at all. Chrome lining is additive and requires some specialization to put the lining uniformly along the entire bore and have it be to the correct thickness. Either is fine and will last longer than what you're likely to do with the gun(you're unlikely to shoot out either in the life of the gun with you). Stainless is similar to nitrided barrels in that you can pretty much just manufacture it to the dimensions you want and call it a day, but lacks some wear resistance over chrome and nitrided barrels.

If you can, look for an HBAR barrel that is fluted. The fluting can really take a lot of mass out of the barrel while still being "hbar". It's also has some limited impact on cooling by increasing surface area. White oak can get you a 16" HBAR fluted barrel i'm pretty sure.

arshooter

Nov 28, 2015
    I have a BA barrel on one of my builds, and it's been pretty accurate from casual observation, but I have yet to really put it through the paces to check just how accurate it is - I just haven't spent that much time on it.

I think having a chrome lined barrel would be a great idea if you planned to shoot the ever-lovin' snot out of it, but if you shoot like me - maybe 300-500 rounds per year - does the additional durability of the chrome lined barrel matter that much?
    I do plan on shooting it quite a bit especially this year. I have a few training/classes scheduled, those alone should put me over 2000 rounds, not counting range time. So I'd estimate 3-4k rounds/yr at the least. I am also doing some 2 gun practice.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Criterion also has 16 inch chrome lined hbar barrels. Not sure if in stock though. I have a 16 inch stainless barrel from them. Good barrels.

arshooter

Nov 28, 2015
    Criterion also has 16 inch chrome lined hbar barrels. Not sure if in stock though. I have a 16 inch stainless barrel from them. Good barrels.
    Yeah I was looking at Criterion, but they are all out of stock. I kind of need this barrel ASAP, as I have some classes coming up soon and need this barrel installed and zeroed beforehand.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    16" A2 HBAR .... $115.00

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-mid-length-hbar-barrel-modern-series.html

babl556017m.jpg

arshooter

Nov 28, 2015
    Don't get hung up on chrome lining. Nitriding also makes for a very wear resistant and corrosion resistant surface, but has the added advantage of not really messing with dimensions at all. Chrome lining is additive and requires some specialization to put the lining uniformly along the entire bore and have it be to the correct thickness. Either is fine and will last longer than what you're likely to do with the gun(you're unlikely to shoot out either in the life of the gun with you). Stainless is similar to nitrided barrels in that you can pretty much just manufacture it to the dimensions you want and call it a day, but lacks some wear resistance over chrome and nitrided barrels.

If you can, look for an HBAR barrel that is fluted. The fluting can really take a lot of mass out of the barrel while still being "hbar". It's also has some limited impact on cooling by increasing surface area. White oak can get you a 16" HBAR fluted barrel i'm pretty sure.
    It seems most of White Oak's barrels are on backorder as well. I do have a question about SS barrels, I've read they are not good to use for 'sustained fire'. What exactly would be the definition of 'sustained fire'? Reason I ask, I am doing some training classes that would shoot about 500 rounds.

I see some military firearms using SS barrels, I'd think they would be firing quite a bit. (ex. Mk12)

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Stainless is fine. When you get into things like full auto, then it gets interesting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It seems most of White Oak's barrels are on backorder as well. I do have a question about SS barrels, I've read they are not good to use for 'sustained fire'. What exactly would be the definition of 'sustained fire'? Reason I ask, I am doing some training classes that would shoot about 500 rounds.

I see some military firearms using SS barrels, I'd think they would be firing quite a bit. (ex. Mk12)
    Stainless is fine for most people that aren't doing full auto dumps, although it will have a shorter barrel life if all else is equal. Stainless can be nitride treated though to improve barrel life and even corrosion resistance, since barrel steels aren't 100% rustproof. Stainless can't really be chrome lined though.

So I personally prefer nitrided barrels, although there's more variability in who makes them and how than chrome vs nitride.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom