• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What do you want to do with it? Do you have or plan to buy a suppressor?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Two totally different roles for those two rounds. If you're looking for a long range semi auto then go .308. If you're looking for an "urban" range gun then the 300blk might be better.

-Jim

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not right away but who knows?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't plan on doing any long-range shooting, I'd go 300 Blackout. Nice round for hunting etc. supersonic. Suppresses nicely subsonic. That's just me.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I bought a .300 BLK for possible hunting. Large enough round, sufficient enough for deer up to 200 yars (my max shot would be 150 yards). and I like the fact that I can use the same mags, BCG, ect for 5.56. All that's needed is a barrel change. Or just buy a complete upper for the range if I don't want to shoot the .300 BLK super/sub sonic ammo.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    .300 blk should be much much cheaper. Only thing that changes from a standard ar is the barrel. No proprietary magazines or any of that jazz.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    300 BLK for a few reasons.

1 you can use AR15 mags you may already have.
    2 if you already have a lower in 556 all you need to get started is the completed upper.
    3 AR10's have long legs and long ranges are few and far between.
    4 Ammo cost, 308 ammo is normally more expensive.

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    I'm planning to do a 10.5 300 blackout. do i have to change the bcg or i can use a regular 556/223 bcg ? also whats the best lenght for a free float with a 10.5 barrel. with flash hider and /or suppressor?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only thing you change is the barrel namelessname - everything else is standard 5.56 AR parts.

Depends on suppressor/suppressor mount, some rails may not clear the can, and some can types have a release button (for lack of a better term) that you have to be able to access.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    AR10 form SURE. .308 will always be plentiful until I don't know, 2150? More versatile, and you can shoot past 200 feet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AR10 form SURE. .308 will always be plentiful until I don't know, 2150? More versatile, and you can shoot past 200 feet.

I've been doing that easily, even with a 4" .45ACP... ;)

I'm willing to try out to 460m with my 110gr loads (sonic), the 220gr loads (subsonic) - I wouldn't go too far past 230m with, if I had the option.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I'm kind ofbin the same boat. I have all the parts minus the barrel for the blackout build but also want a 308 ar. I'm considering just getting the blackout out of the way so I can use it for a Bush gun when I go pig hunting in Jan. I want a really nice 308 ar but don't have the money up front for a larue obr. I'm probably going to go with a black rain ordnance set and slowly build from there. OR should I just get a bushmaster and upgrade the parts? Sorry to thread jack but didn't want to start a new thread with this being the same topic

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Tconfo - I'd just use what you got, with the normal upgrade/conversion parts.

I'd just say, spend as much as you feel is prudent on the barrel. I'm loving my Noveske barrel, so I may be slightly biased some. :innocent0

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I'm definatley going noveske on the. 308 build. Since the black out is going to just be a Bush gun Im not looking for a tack driver but on the other hand I don't buy shit components.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Ive been doing the 308 vs 300 AAC vs 7.62x 39 out of an AK.

I have settled on 300 AAC right now, even more so because im going to be starting to reload around xmas. I like that everything that I have right now will work for it, I plan on doing a PSA blem lower and then a PSA upper in 300 AAC when they come back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom