• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

Still on the fence about what semi auto rifle (ie. Garand, SKS, Mini 14, etc) to get and it seems the law is vague about copycat HBARS. So are all semi auto .308's cash and carry, or are there more restrictions? Could I just get a Bushmaster in .308 w/ a 10 rd clip and call it a day?

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I am almost certain that Bushmasters are banned by name in SB281. That being said, Hbars are legal for cash and carry purchase. AR-10s are as well but as far as the Bushmaster XM-10, it may not be because the brand is banned by name.
    If I am wrong someone please correct my statements.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I am almost certain that Bushmasters are banned by name in SB281. That being said, Hbars are legal for cash and carry purchase. AR-10s are as well but as far as the Bushmaster XM-10, it may not be because the brand is banned by name.
    If I am wrong someone please correct my statements.

Technically the Bushmaster on the list is an actual gun called "The Bushmaster," so the legality is sort of hit or miss. Technically it's legal, but that doesn't mean much anymore.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I would get a ruger SR 762

From what I'm seeing the people who have gotten their hands on them are incredibly pleased.

Most of the teething issues were worked out with the SR556.

It's a piston based rifle, so it's reliable, and clean running, and Ruger actually went back to the drawing board instead of just jamming a piston into a DGI rifle, so the problem of carrier tilt has been solved.

The guns are very very accurate.

Plus, you know, they take Pmags, so there's that

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    and for the record, the bushmaster that is named as banned is this rifle:
    M17bullpup6743.jpg

The bushmaster semi automatic rifle, not all arms made by bushmaster, although depending on who you talk to at MSP they may or may not be interpereting it that way due to doogie gansler being a sniveling cock muncher

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah that new Ruger is pretty nice looking, or check out the new S & W, I think it is close to a $grand in cost.

I like the LWRC, but then again, I don't have one cause I cannot afford one!! hahahahahahah Probably go with a precision home build when the time comes. Or, unless I get the money!! :-)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I say get the Garand if you're not married to the AR idea. They are a blast to shoot and are not on anyone's radar. Yet!

If you want a gun that will run forever, get the SKS.

You can still buy surplus ammo for both guns at a decent price too.

Feb 28, 2013
    Technically the Bushmaster on the list is an actual gun called "The Bushmaster," so the legality is sort of hit or miss. Technically it's legal, but that doesn't mean much anymore.

That original Bushmaster refers to a "model", not a 'make'. Two completely different aminals.

M17bullpup6743.jpg

The bushmaster semi automatic rifle, not all arms made by bushmaster, although depending on who you talk to at MSP they may or may not be interpereting it that way due to doogie gansler being a sniveling cock muncher

This one too...

images

images

At what point are we going to wake up and realize that modern Bushmaster rifles are banned. The state doesn't care about the original bushmaster bullpup...bla bla bla. They are banned, get another brand.

Thank you for your opinion, not.:tdown::rolleyes:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Incorrect. The M17S is not the banned rifle. It's actually the rifle that Sling Blade posted up, the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster rifle. It's the counterpart to the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster ARM pistol on the assault pistols list. The M17S wasn't even released (or announced, or rumored) when the assault long guns list originally went into law.

The SB281 FAQ link in my sig explains all of this pretty well. It has been vetted extensively by forum members (and a few others that will remain nameless).

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    At what point are we going to wake up and realize that modern Bushmaster rifles are banned. The state doesn't care about the original bushmaster bullpup...bla bla bla. They are banned, get another brand.

Because MSP has a strong track record of "getting it right"?

Like Saiga 12's which for a long time were all regulated but not rightfully so.

Then we had the whole .22 copy cats...which for a long time MSP all treated as regulated....only to be told not so.

There's others....just two that jump out to me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Because MSP has a strong track record of "getting it right"?

Like Saiga 12's which for a long time were all regulated but not rightfully so.

Then we had the whole .22 copy cats...which for a long time MSP all treated as regulated....only to be told not so.

There's others....just two that jump out to me.
    Well said. When we force the AG to actually issue opinions, we often get what we want. It is imperative that we get these opinions out of AG Gansler, rather than trying to get them in the future out of a very possible AG Frosh.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Have you decided what you are going to do with it and how much you are going to shoot.

Maybe you want to shoot in military matches?
    Maybe you are interested in longer range shooting
    Maybe you plan on shooting a box of ammo 4 times a year or 4 boxes of ammo every other week.
    Maybe collecting is more important than shooting.
    Maybe you want to shoot as inexpensively as possible

Whatever, it's all good. You aren't deciding to buy the only gun you will ever own. Define your wants and the choice will become clearer.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Incorrect. The M17S is not the banned rifle. It's actually the rifle that Sling Blade posted up, the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster rifle. It's the counterpart to the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster ARM pistol on the assault pistols list. The M17S wasn't even released (or announced, or rumored) when the assault long guns list originally went into law.

The SB281 FAQ link in my sig explains all of this pretty well. It has been vetted extensively by forum members (and a few others that will remain nameless).

Correct. I have no idea how the MSP can read: "The following specific Assault Weapons: Bushmaster semi-auto Rifle" to mean all semi-autos manufactured by Bushmaster.

The Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster was marked:
    BUSHMASTER RIFLE
    GWINN FIREARMS
    BANGOR, MAINE USA
    5.56MM

The Bushmaster manufactured Bushmaster rifle was marked:
    BUSHMASTER
    ASSAULT RIFLE
    BUSHMASTER FIREARMS
    PORTLAND, MAINE USA
    5.56 MM

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    because the issue isn't "they're banned in practice"; the issue is "we're continuing to be annoyed that MSP is wrong about this for clear-cut reasons"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom