• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    "...then drive the bolt forward with the charging handle till it fully seats."

You cannot drive the bolt forward with a charging handle. The only thing the charging handle can do is pull the bolt rearward. The recoil spring is what drives the bolt forward. The forward assist (if so equipped) helps bump the bolt closed if things get dirty.

Just to be clear.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I will certainly look into it. I'm the first to admit that I really don't know much about AR's. That is why I figure I'm likely the reason for the problem.

I don't have any tools specifically for cleaning an AR. I actually couldn't find a small enough jag to clean the barrel. Any good recommendations for an all in one cleaning kit for an AR?
    Get a .22 jag, it'll fit for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cleaning????

What's that?

Oh, that thing that OCD people over do. :)

And yes, I have actually cleaned a couple of my firearms. I figure every 10 years or so, but only if they have been shot several thousand rounds.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have what is supposed to be a .22 caliber jag, but by the time I put a patch on it, I had a hard time forcing it through the barrel. I just went ahead and ordered a .22 boresnake.

NOOOOOOOOOO! Do not use a bore snake. Have you ever tried to push a rope. They break and become lodged in the barrel. Get a .17 Jag and use .22 patches.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Cleaning????

What's that?

And yes, I have actually cleaned a couple of my firearms. I figure every 10 years or so, but only if they have been shot several thousand rounds.

I guess I am one of those people. I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I somehow find it relaxing, or maybe it's just the smell of the Hoppes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cleaning????

What's that?

I just shoot a boolit through it evert oncest and a while to knock the dust out the barrel.:innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I guess I am one of those people. I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I somehow find it relaxing, or maybe it's just the smell of the Hoppes.

If you like the smell of Hoppes, use a dab of it as cologne. It will attract chicks, I promise! The fact that you have to be in the Wal-Mart sporting goods section is irrelevant though.

You could also get one of these for your car.

tumblr_ltbtxdraGR1qdrno0o1_500.png

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    "...then drive the bolt forward with the charging handle till it fully seats."

You cannot drive the bolt forward with a charging handle. The only thing the charging handle can do is pull the bolt rearward. The recoil spring is what drives the bolt forward. The forward assist (if so equipped) helps bump the bolt closed if things get dirty.

Just to be clear.

I agree to disagree on the issue of press checks with an AR15/AR10 charging handle. Using the forward assist is a bad idea...because you usually have to relinquish control of the firearm.

Pulling the BCG out of battery/or driving forward into battery with the charging handle is done by recoil spring pressure that is on the rear of the BCG, but the charging handle is also governed by the BCG that still has spring pressure unless the BCG is fully locked to the rear.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I agree to disagree on the issue of press checks with an AR15/AR10 charging handle. Using the forward assist is a bad idea...because you usually have to relinquish control of the firearm.

Pulling the BCG out of battery/or driving forward into battery with the charging handle is done by recoil spring pressure that is on the rear of the BCG, but the charging handle is also governed by the BCG that still has spring pressure unless the BCG is fully locked to the rear.

My take on what he is saying:
    If you pull the charging handle back a little bit to see if there is a round in the chamber, you cannot use the charging handle to make sure the bolt is in battery. The only way to be sure is to use the forward assist. If you bring the charging handle back far enough to generate enough momentum to set the bolt in battery you probably ejected the round you wanted to seat?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    My take on what he is saying:
    If you pull the charging handle back a little bit to see if there is a round in the chamber, you cannot use the charging handle to make sure the bolt is in battery. The only way to be sure is to use the forward assist. If you bring the charging handle back far enough to generate enough momentum to set the bolt in battery you probably ejected the round you wanted to seat?

I'll have to respectfully disagree with your statement.

That's not what I've been taught by the teachings of Chris Costa and Travis Haley, on Magpul's DVD --- The Art of the Tactical Carbine-Volume II

I've performed press checks at the range, like I described, and have zero problems with it.

I believe Stoner's first Armalite did not have a forward assist button, until the U.S. Armed Forces Brass insisted that he put one on.

And the Mossberg AR15 does not have a forward assist button --- Why? Because you don't need it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

That's not what I've been taught by the teachings of Chris Costa and Travis Haley, on Magpul's DVD --- The Art of the Tactical Carbine-Volume II

I've performed press checks at the range, like I described, and have zero problems with it.

I believe Stoner's first Armalite did not have a forward assist button, until the U.S. Armed Forces Brass insisted that he put one on.

And the Mossberg AR15 does not have a forward assist button --- Why? Because you don't need it.
    I've had to used the FA on an AR, more than you'll ever know.

You don't need the FA, until you need it.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland

Bolded: That was because men were dying because they could not chamber a round. The original Powder used by Uncle Sam was not the right stuff, chambers were not chromed and cleaning kits were not issued. So when the SHTF how do you use the charging handle to chamber a round?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bolded: That was because men were dying because they could not chamber a round. The original Powder used by Uncle Sam was not the right stuff, chambers were not chromed and cleaning kits were not issued. So when the SHTF how do you use the charging handle to chamber a round?

^^^Yup^^^

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

100% Wrong

The Forward Assist is not on the AR because it’s unreliable. It’s there because the standard AR does not have a reciprocating Charging Handle.

The Forward Assist not only helps seal the up firearm, but it has a secondary purpose. The Forward Assist is necessary if you have to force the bolt closed.

Here are the possibilities where a Forward Assist is necessary:
    -To get the bolt into battery on a severely contaminated or under lubricated AR
    -The ammo is fouled or dented
    -The Throat is short (Increases Chamber Pressure) which can lead to a popped primer
    -Silencer use (Increases Chamber Pressure) which can lead to a popped primer
    -A Bolt Lug breaks

If the Bolt Group gets stuck “out of battery” you won’t be able to remove the Upper Receiver from the Lower Receiver to correct a problem.

Popped Primers and broken parts will often find their way into the Gas Key area or in the Fire Control Group area of the Rifle, locking the action up HARD.

An AK47 or M14 will lock up hard if something gets where it shouldn’t as well. On those firearms you smack the Charging Handle with your boot, a corner, a 2x4, or whatever you have handy to clear it. On the AR you use the Forward Assist and Charging Handle.

The multitudes of commercial ammo options that civilians have access to, increase the likelihood of an ammo or primer problem rearing its head. With a U.S. Govt Issued M16 you get either a Colt or FN as the variables. In the civilian world you have hundreds of manufacturers and a thousand choices with ammo which means "murphy" is more likely to show up. When you add a sound suppressor or booster the odds multiply because chamber pressures increase. An adjustable Gas Block helps minimize the variables. Bad headspace can also cause a primer to pop but a short throat or ammo being the cause it more likely.

The Forward Assist is like a spare tire, seatbelt, or a medic kit. You hope to never need it, but are thankful to have it if needed.

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    What is the forward assist for

WRONG! The lot of ya!

The sole purpose that they Putin the forward assist was to poke you in the gut or your back and make your life miserable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom