AR Underfolder Adapter for Pistol Buffer Tube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Lol Id like to get the shop working more again. Got a 4 to 330 job so I haven't done much in there .perhaps this will lite the fire and get my wheels turning again?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Soooo, here I go again trying to resurrect this thread. I’m going on Monday to Hanover Armory to finally order an upper for an SBR stamp that I got last spring. I would love to put an under folder on it if I can get an adapter made. Anyone with skills interested in a project?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    That’s a steal on that buffer assembly. I might have to buy one in case I can ever get this project figured out.

SMDUB-what coupons did you use? Can you hook a brother up?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Screw Optics Planet. They have gone the way of many other businesses and sold out legal gun owners.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m thinking of trying to mount it directly to the receiver. I have a few 80%’s I messed up I can play with.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The pic of the original mount at the start of this thread seems simple enough. I just lack the metal shop, tools, and expertise to do it. I bet I could fabricate it with wood. But that ain’t gonna hold up.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Optics Planet shows 10% off code "QUICK" on their main page.

Screw Optics Planet. They have gone the way of many other businesses and sold out legal gun owners.

I don't think Optics Planet sold out. They are caught in IL mag restrictions. They are not allowed to sell anything over 10-rds. See their response here:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...gazine-sales-restrictions-try-looking-deeper/
    https://library.municode.com/il/coo...DEWEDE_DIV4BLHOASWEBA_S54-212ASWELAPAMASAPREX

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So thanks to Teratos, I have the short buffer enroute, and I already have the folding stock. Since I lack the shop and metal working expertise, I was trying to think of a way to bring this together. Friends, Romans, metalworkers, lend me your ears.....

If I find metal tubing that fits snug around the buffer tube, I start with that as the base. I then get a piece of thin flat stock, and bend it in a U shape around said tube. Run two beads of welding on the inside where the longer piece of metal extends past the tube. Drill and tap holes through that to snug it down on the buffer. Drill the corresponding holes necessary for the folding mechanism in the long pieces that extend down. Dimensions and specs for these holes are easy enough to find on the line. This seems like it would be a simpler solution than milling the part from solid metal. Thoughts? Suggestions?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So thanks to Teratos, I have the short buffer enroute, and I already have the folding stock. Since I lack the shop and metal working expertise, I was trying to think of a way to bring this together. Friends, Romans, metalworkers, lend me your ears.....

If I find metal tubing that fits snug around the buffer tube, I start with that as the base. I then get a piece of thin flat stock, and bend it in a U shape around said tube. Run two beads of welding on the inside where the longer piece of metal extends past the tube. Drill and tap holes through that to snug it down on the buffer. Drill the corresponding holes necessary for the folding mechanism in the long pieces that extend down. Dimensions and specs for these holes are easy enough to find on the line. This seems like it would be a simpler solution than milling the part from solid metal. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds solid. I’m going to try to drill into the receiver. Gonna have to use a push button safety, but I’m fine with that. There is a meaty chunk of untapped receiver inferior and posterior to the safety hole. See photo.

Attachments

• 3A5EEE07-9F0B-407F-A890-CBB51EB03F7E.jpeg
      3A5EEE07-9F0B-407F-A890-CBB51EB03F7E.jpeg
      81.6 KB · Views: 165

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I got the stock and trunion in. I am pretty sure that I can get this to mount to an AR receiver directly with some milling. I may have to cut the center support and re-thread it. If nothing else, it gave me the opportunity to buy a tap and die set. I have 3 screwed up receivers to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom