• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    We had recommendation to carry the Spike's Tactical trigger by a customer. I definitely see how a good single-stage would be preferred by some for a carbine. For long-range type work its nice to have a 2-stage, IMHO.

Does the JP hammer spring work OK with your standard Spike's Combat Trigger or is that too light as well even without the J&L Adjuster?

We've got access to order the Spike's Tactical trigger as well as the Geissele combat trigger, and have contemplated getting them in.

I agree on a carbine which you may want faster action a 2 stage wouldnt be good but for a take your time target rifle a 2 stage would be good. Im still thinking about a rra 2 stage for my hbar.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 4# Timney on my SPR, great trigger, very crisp, and I've used it in three matches with no issues. I had a Spikes, the trigger feels better than mil-spec, but it's not a Timney. I just ordered an RRA NM trigger set from Joe Bob, that's going into my hunting rig. BTW, I've been told that several carbine class instructors tell students to take the RRA trigger out before coming to class. Seems they don't do well in fast shooting.

Jim

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a 4# Timney on my SPR, great trigger, very crisp, and I've used it in three matches with no issues. I had a Spikes, the trigger feels better than mil-spec, but it's not a Timney. I just ordered an RRA NM trigger set from Joe Bob, that's going into my hunting rig. BTW, I've been told that several carbine class instructors tell students to take the RRA trigger out before coming to class. Seems they don't do well in fast shooting.

Jim

The RRA arent very durable in my experiences. They break and wear prematurely. When people have trigger issues at instructional events, it holds everyone else in the class up till the problem is cleared.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    We had recommendation to carry the Spike's Tactical trigger by a customer. I definitely see how a good single-stage would be preferred by some for a carbine. For long-range type work its nice to have a 2-stage, IMHO.

Does the JP hammer spring work OK with your standard Spike's Combat Trigger or is that too light as well even without the J&L Adjuster?

We've got access to order the Spike's Tactical trigger as well as the Geissele combat trigger, and have contemplated getting them in.

Know any F class shooters that use 2 stage triggers?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    OK I will re-ask this, with the lighter springs what is the probability of issues with hard primers? Has anyone had any issues?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK I will re-ask this, with the lighter springs what is the probability of issues with hard primers? Has anyone had any issues?

JP Hammer Springs will almost certainly give you Fail to Fire issies with Hard Primers (Military Spec Ammo). Thats why I use 2 spring kits (Best of Both Worlds)

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The RRA arent very durable in my experiences. They break and wear prematurely. When people have trigger issues at instructional events, it holds everyone else in the class up till the problem is cleared.

Is it due to the fast rate of fire or harder trigger pulls or? I haven't really heard of many failures in the varmint/hobby type shooter. Obviously putting a carbine through more rigorous testing will weed out certain triggers.

Know any F class shooters that use 2 stage triggers?

I don't know any F class shooters period. "High end" shooters don't throw $100 triggers and $300 scopes on their rifles. I'm talking about the average JoeBob shootin' coyotes and pdogs, generally prefers a 2 stage, from what I've seen.

wjt1169

Bill have you gotten a chance to test out the mega arms trigger? opinion on it?

I think that Mega was going for something closer to a cool looking trigger rather than an improved trigger group.

For whatever reason, they focused on just the trigger and trigger spring rather than a trigger, disconnector, hammer and all three springs. That leaves a lot of the trigger pull equation up in the air as far as I’m concerned; since the matting of the contact surfaces on all three trigger group components is critical to anything that might be considered an “improved” trigger group.

The “Mega Arms Trigger” is simply the trigger and a single arm spring.

MegaTrigger01-web.jpg

wjt1169

I order the Battle Trigger and the JP Springs directly from Spike's. I have that set up in two of my personal ARs and I've never had any ignition problems. I recommed it as a reliable lightened trigger set up on a budget.

However, for a retail price of $179 the Geissele SSA is my first recommendation for superior all purpose trigger set up. Yes, it's a two stage, but it doesn't feel like a two stage IMHO. I have it in my three gun AR, and I'd put it in any combat weapon.

Carry both and offer your customers both great options. They will sell well for you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Yes, I have had issues with 6.8 cartridges using Large Rifle primers and some Wolf primers. 4#s is the minimum reliable pull weight that I've used that goes bang every time.

Jim

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    JP Hammer Springs will almost certainly give you Fail to Fire issies with Hard Primers (Military Spec Ammo). Thats why I use 2 spring kits (Best of Both Worlds)
    thanks thats what I wanted to know

Yes, I have had issues with 6.8 cartridges using Large Rifle primers and some Wolf primers. 4#s is the minimum reliable pull weight that I've used that goes bang every time.

Jim

yup thats why the 6.8 build I did for my dad has a 4# trigger, he is using all SSA until he builds a stash of brass.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There's a guy in Arlington who is selling a ton of SSA 6.8 brass in 500 case lots. I'm buying another 500, if you're interested in splitting it, let me know.

Jim

swing

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2010
    The Jard has screws that can come loose, have to be loctited in place. The RRA 2 stage has worked perfectly in 2 AR's, but then both were RRA lowers. Dunno if it'd fit as to overtravel, on other makes of lowers. No adjusting screws on the RRA trigger group. It's a re-design of AR parts, very efficient.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I order the Battle Trigger and the JP Springs directly from Spike's. I have that set up in two of my personal ARs and I've never had any ignition problems. I recommed it as a reliable lightened trigger set up on a budget.

However, for a retail price of $179 the Geissele SSA is my first recommendation for superior all purpose trigger set up. Yes, it's a two stage, but it doesn't feel like a two stage IMHO. I have it in my three gun AR, and I'd put it in any combat weapon.

Carry both and offer your customers both great options. They will sell well for you.

Good advice, thanks :thumbsup:

There's a guy in Arlington who is selling a ton of SSA 6.8 brass in 500 case lots. I'm buying another 500, if you're interested in splitting it, let me know.

Jim

[Borat Voice] Very nice! How much? [/Borat Voice]

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    $180 per 500. I bought 1000 in October, I need to finish prepping the brass I have before buying more. He should have some more next month, I'll ping him again about it.

Jim

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I own three 3# Timney triggers.
    One in my SPR, one in my SBR carbine, and one in my 9mm SBR.
    No issues ever with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom