• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Sounds great until the part about turning/trimming the cartridges to make them rimless.

Cool concept but bow this better than 458 SOCOM OR 450 Bushmaster on the AR15 platform?

I’ll get my 45/70 jollies with my Sharpios(Italian Clones) and lever actions.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Sounds great until the part about turning/trimming the cartridges to make them rimless.

Cool concept but bow this better than 458 SOCOM OR 450 Bushmaster on the AR15 platform?

Yup:

The cartridge is a 45-70 modified to be rimless (as pictured in the magazine). If you have a lathe to modify the brass, we can sell you the form cutter, or you can buy already modified brass from us.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Yep. Oh yeah, and this doesn't look too good either:

4570.png

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Must have.:drool:
    But also must wait for price reduction.:sad20:
    http://www.phoenixweaponry.com/45-70-auto

Yikes on the price and the fact that you have to modify the brass, I think I will just stick to my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Being a BIG FAN of the .45-70.............

I'll pass.

$4800.00 is a LOT of $$$ for a semi-auto version of the cartridge, but is NOT a .45-70 Gov't, no matter what anybody says.

Needing special equipment to turn down the rim and cartridge to make a .308 size extractor groove, isn't really "turning me on", so-to-speak.

For a hunting round, it would be great, but, I don't want to have to look for my spent brass, after every shot.
    (That brass is quite "spendy"!)

Now.......... IF I can locate some other .308 casehead sized brass that can be opened up to make the brass, MAYBE I'll reconsider.

Nah.
    I'll keep my 1895G; 1895CB; and 1895CBA, thank you very much.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

I've always been intrigued by the idea of a big-bore AR, and have considered both the .458 Socom and .450 Bushmaster, but I've been waiting to see if one of them really catches on...or if they both end up being flashes in the pan.

And I agree with byf43. No matter what they try to call it, if you have to turn down the rim, it's no longer a 45-70 Government cartridge.

JoeR

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yep. Oh yeah, and this doesn't look too good either:

4570.png

Well ain't that special? Looks like the brass can't take that pressure once it's been turned.

Good luck to them, but that looks like a bad turning or this rifle is a bomb waiting to go off.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's definitely interesting but for the price I think I'll stick to my .458 Socom. Besides, I already have too many calibers to keep straight with my existing ARs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As much as the .458SOCOM already essentially duplicates .45-70 with .458 bullets, seem to have this niche covered .

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As much as the .458SOCOM already essentially duplicates .45-70 with .458 bullets, seem to have this niche covered .

Hell, the .50Beo can do a hell of a 45-70 Gov't impersonation as well.

Now that Bill Alexander isn't with A.A., I may actually do business with them again.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Hell, the .50Beo can do a hell of a 45-70 Gov't impersonation as well.

Now that Bill Alexander isn't with A.A., I may actually do business with them again.

There are at least 2 other manufacturers who are selling uppers. They can't sell a 50 Beowulf because of copyright laws, but they sell a 12.7x42 upper. Identical to the Beowulf but without the Alexander Arms drama.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There are at least 2 other manufacturers who are selling uppers. They can't sell a 50 Beowulf because of copyright laws, but they sell a 12.7x42 upper. Identical to the Beowulf but without the Alexander Arms drama.

Yeah, and Satern has the barrel/bolts in stock currently.

If I hadn't just finished another upper earlier today, I'd be thinking really hard about doing another .50Beo build.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yeah, and Satern has the barrel/bolts in stock currently.

If I hadn't just finished another upper earlier today, I'd be thinking really hard about doing another .50Beo build.

I have a 10.5 inch after market 50B SBR. It's fun to shoot. But it previously lived as a 10.5 inch barreled pistol. That was a little crazy to shoot at the range. I am much happier as a SBR owner.

Cabela's is the best place to buy the ammo. $27 for a box of 335 gr round nose. $1 more per box for hollow point.

I have bought the round nose for as low as $24 a box when Cabela's puts it on sale.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a 10.5 inch after market 50B SBR. It's fun to shoot. But it previously lived as a 10.5 inch barreled pistol. That was a little crazy to shoot at the range. I am much happier as a SBR owner.

Cabela's is the best place to buy the ammo. $27 for a box of 335 gr round nose. $1 more per box for hollow point.

I have bought the round nose for as low as $24 a box when Cabela's puts it on sale.

Still debating on doing a 12" .50B at some point, just for shits and giggles.

Best way to feed the beast is reloading, $1.22/per round gets costly when you enjoy knocking your shoulder senseless like I did with the 16.5" - it got a workout. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom