• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm sure this has been covered and I did search and found some round about topics already. I figured, what the hell, I'm lazy and going to start a new thread ;)

I'm building a 18" heavy barrel most for bench use in 223 and perhaps some three gun depending on how the weight turns out. Most likely bench tho and most likely no more than 250yd max paper punching, perhaps out to 400 on the rare occasion that I feel like realizing how bad of a shot I am. I have a spare bushnell banner 4-12 I could throw on it, but I'm considering a better scope out of the gates. I'm in no huge hurry, and I really like the vortex viper hs I just got for the 308, so I'm looking at those as well. I've seen members here mention Nikon, leupold, bushnell, and a few others I can't remember now. I'm hoping you fine gents can show me your setup (specific to scopes for my intended purposes) so I can get some ideas and real world feedback from my MDS family.

I thank everyone in advance for your time and input, and I look forward to your replies. Here is a little more info on what I have currently.

Lrb lower from the last group buy (thanks again Justin, you're the man)
    Cmmg complete upper with 18" ss heavy barrel
    Shopping for stocks, lpk's, etc now
    Have bipod, GC will install a stud for it
    Looking to spend $500 or less if possible for scope!?

Thanks again kind people :)

Ryan

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Larue Tactical QD mounts and either Nikon M-223 or Leupold Mark AR.

I havent tried that, I am in the same boat looking for a scope for a 300blk carbine that will be predominantly bench.

Not hugely impressed with my Millett DMS-1 on my 7.62*39 gun not bad but not great.

I have been thinking about this one

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-riflescope-prostaff-2-7x32.html

THough I have the 2x7 Cabelas scope on my M10AIA and its a decent optic for a bargain price (same on my .308 and it hasnt broken yet)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...abelas+Scope&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Been looking at the m223 and the leupold's online and they seem to be fine choices. I'm gonna do a little more digging but keep the input coming and thanks again fellas. :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I put a Redfield "Widefield" 3-9x on my HBAR, not too long ago, because of my aging eyes.
    It's a very good scope, but, I also had to add a "Delta" cheekpiece.
    This rifle is a tack-driver, out to 300+ yards.

I've used Leupold VXII and VXIIIwith very good results.
    I've got Nikon "BuckMaster" scope on my M1A and it is a GREAT scope!
    I've got several Nikon "ProStaff" 2-7x32mm scopes on various rifles, including .45-70, .50 caliber T/C Triumph, and Remington 870 Slug gun.
    Very clear, bright scopes, for the $$$.

Not too many of my friends like Nikon. One in particular, would rather use Bushnell or Tasco. (He's sent a lot of them back, too!)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Konus M30 series- got 4.9 out of 5 stars overall in NTOA testing, very bright glass, laser etched reticles, and a lifetime overnight replacement warranty for any breakage including damage that is the fault of the owner--

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Konus M30 series- got 4.9 out of 5 stars overall in NTOA testing, very bright glass, laser etched reticles, and a lifetime overnight replacement warranty for any breakage including damage that is the fault of the owner--

I have a konus spotting scope that is amazing. 60x 100.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    My eyes hurt from all the reading and browsing. I think the m223 and p223 comparison absorbed too much time. I am narrowed down to the m223 and the mark ar, which leads me to believe the first response to my op was a bullseye.

Still gonna look around, but things are narrowing down :)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    For bench use you want more magnification. For a strictly bench gun I'd go 15x minimum. I'd be looking more at 20x because on a bench there is no trade off.

For 3 gun no scope that doesn't go down to 1x will be useful.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    For bench use you want more magnification. For a strictly bench gun I'd go 15x minimum. I'd be looking more at 20x because on a bench there is no trade off.

For 3 gun no scope that doesn't go down to 1x will be useful.

Understood and thanks for the advise! I have an Eotech xps 2-0 and a tripler on my other set up that have qd mounts, so that is more my three gun set up and I can move them around if need be. This will be more bench, so magnification is going to be more important to me. The Mark AR and Nikon m223 seem to top out at 10 or 12x from what I've seen, but I don't see me (except for the rare occaision) shooting this more tyhan 250yds as that is what's available to me. Think that's enough Russ or should I look for more in your opinion?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    For a bench gun 12x is pretty limiting. I'm not saying you can't shoot under moa, but if you had two guns side by side, one with 12x and one with 20x you would feel much more confident with the 20x if the glass was equal. Also you might considered a fixed scope rather than a variable.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have a Nikon M223 3x9 scope on Nikon bases.
    I shoot with it out to 300 yards regularlly.
    What I like about it is the repeatability of the elevation adjustment.
    Once sighted in at 100 yards. I can turn the turrets to 200 yards when shooting a 200 yard target and cross hairs are spot on.
    Return to 100 yards and dial turret back to 100 yards. Cross hairs back on target.
    For my papaer puncher it's a nice scope without brakeing the bank.

Now the new Nikon223 with built in range finder. Xmas list maybe:)

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have a Nikon M223 3x9 scope on Nikon bases.
    I shoot with it out to 300 yards regularlly.
    What I like about it is the repeatability of the elevation adjustment.
    Once sighted in at 100 yards. I can turn the turrets to 200 yards when shooting a 200 yard target and cross hairs are spot on.
    Return to 100 yards and dial turret back to 100 yards. Cross hairs back on target.
    For my papaer puncher it's a nice scope without brakeing the bank.

Now the new Nikon223 with built in range finder. Xmas list maybe:)

I noticed they also have the m223 in a 4x16 flavor which may fit my purposes well. Looks like optics planet has it for $469 with a $30 mail in rebate and free shipping right now if you get the bdc reticle model (which I like). Hmmm, love my vortex in 4x16, almost wish I bought two for the price I got.

This m223 might be the ticket at that price. Looks like it comes with a mount as well.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I would start with your scope in hand...outgrow that then spend the money...by then you could afford glass you cannot outshoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom