• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crowell33

Jun 15, 2011
    Winchester, VA
    Awesome, thank you.

From an etiquette standpoint, can I just "show up" at a dealer for a transfer or should I call first? I know it's a dumb question, but I don't want to look like an ass. :)

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Awesome, thank you.

From an etiquette standpoint, can I just "show up" at a dealer for a transfer or should I call first? I know it's a dumb question, but I don't want to look like an ass. :)

No, it's a legit question. I'd ask the buyer which dealer he prefers and inform him that transfer charges are going to be on him. When he tells you, call them and make sure they will accept a transfer from a private citizen. I don't think the law requires you to use a shop in VA to ship it to the shop in MD.

crowell33

Jun 15, 2011
    Winchester, VA
    No, it's a legit question. I'd ask the buyer which dealer he prefers and inform him that transfer charges are going to be on him. When he tells you, call them and make sure they will accept a transfer from a private citizen. I don't think the law requires you to use a shop in VA to ship it to the shop in MD.

Couldn't we both just meet at the dealer in Maryland and do the transfer in person instead of shipping? It's only an hour and a half drive from me in Germantown (I'm in Winchester, VA).

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Couldn't we both just meet at the dealer in Maryland and do the transfer in person instead of shipping? It's only an hour and a half drive from me in Germantown (I'm in Winchester, VA).

I think you could do that. Someone that knows for sure will be along in a minute.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I think you could do that. Someone that knows for sure will be along in a minute.

i think you got it covered joppaj:D:thumbsup:

crow.. just call ahead to the ffl you guys are using to make sure they will accept walk-in transfer and that you know the fee involved.

crowell33

Jun 15, 2011
    Winchester, VA
    i think you got it covered joppaj:D:thumbsup:

crow.. just call ahead to the ffl you guys are using to make sure they will accept walk-in transfer and that you know the fee involved.

Awesome, you guys are fantastic. I think I may start lurking around this place instead. :thumbsup:

Thanks again, guys.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am not even supposed to be posting....

Alright.

YOU MUST TRANSFER A LONG GUN (OR ANY OTHER FIREARM) INTERSTATE THROUGH AN FFL.

No shipping is required.

It can be transferred as a cash and carry firearm since it is not a colt AR-15 or imitation.

You can do the transfer at an FFL in either state!

Mark

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Engage Armament (an industry partner on MDS) is in Kensington. About 20-30 minutes from Germantown and 10 minutes from 495. Could work for both of you as the transfer FFL.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can do the transfer at an FFL in either state!

Mark

You can do the Federal transfer in any state. I don't think a Va. dealer is going to mess with the MSP transfer for an AR even if they could.

OP, I'd also be sure the Maryland FFL will hold the rifle for the buyer until the paperwork is cleared by MSP or you might be making two trips. This is SOP for mail transfers but I'd ask just the same.

crowell33

Jun 15, 2011
    Winchester, VA
    I guess it's all for not. The guy who contacted me about it has not returned any of my emails. Something like that really chaps my ass. :mad54:

If you don't want it, fine. But at least let me know.

Oh well...like I said earlier, thanks a bunch for everyone's help.

- Chris

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    It can be transferred as a cash and carry firearm since it is not a colt AR-15 or imitation.
    The exemption is for if it's an HBAR.

I have a dealer I've dealt with in VA who was receptive to the HBAR exemption for ARs. I just need to find some sort of documentation to prove it to him. Does somebody happen to have a letter from the MSP or the AG? I kind of suspect there's never been a clear documented answer to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom