• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ok, looking for some input on AR optics.

I have a few with regular scopes,one with a eotech, a couple with irons. Now I am looking for something diffrent for the wife's next rifle. I am considering a
    acog ta33-8. I have only shot one acog equiped rifle and it was a diffrent model. The funny part is my wife has more acog range time then me! so she is telling me what she like's and dislikes.

What do you guys run on you guns. Any help would be great.

Mar 19, 2011
    Red dot

I like running a red dot up front with a flip to side mount for a 3X or 6X magnifier sitting in front of it. That way I have quick target acquisition for up close and magnification for targets further away.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have a TA33R-11 now mounted on my 6940 below. I have not had a chance to shoot it on this rifle yet. I had it mounted on my SIG551-A1 before. I like it a lot though, it sits between the 4x32 models and TA11 in amount of eye relief. The TA11's are supposed to have the most. It also sits in a LT-105 mount. Sits a little lower than the stock TA60 mount.

6940Right.jpeg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    For simplicity aimpoint. However if he wants an acog, get the acog. I love mine. Im almost ready to sell the aimpoint for another acog. They work fine up close, tad slower, but if you do as the book says "focus on the target bring the rifle up until you see red(my reticle is red) and fire. It seems to work pretty well. Then out to distance they are great. 200 yards is cake.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    For simplicity aimpoint. However if he wants an acog, get the acog. I love mine. Im almost ready to sell the aimpoint for another acog. They work fine up close, tad slower, but if you do as the book says "focus on the target bring the rifle up until you see red(my reticle is red) and fire. It seems to work pretty well. Then out to distance they are great. 200 yards is cake.

I am thinking if it what she wants it thats what she gets. I just have little hands on so I am taking in info!

How can a man argue when a wife asks for an acog and not jewelry:D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm about to buy a few ACOGs for new builds I'm working on. For distance shooting, the TA11 (green) for huge eye relief and large exit pupil. It's more than worth the extra weight. I like the horseshoe reticle. For CQB, TA44S (green) for the same reasons, along with being very lightweight.

If you end up leaning towards a 4x version, make sure your wife is okay with shooting NTCG (nose to charging handle), because of the limited eye relief and eye box.

My only issues with the TA33 are the limited eye box (less forgiving cheek weld) and limited field of view. The tunnel vision effect is like looking through a periscope or a long monocular compared to the TA11 and TA01, which can make BAC a lot more difficult.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm about to buy a few ACOGs for new builds I'm working on. For distance shooting, the TA11 (green) for huge eye relief and large exit pupil. It's more than worth the extra weight. I like the horseshoe reticle. For CQB, TA44S (green) for the same reasons, along with being very lightweight.

Before you buy a 4x version, make sure your wife is okay with shooting NTCG (nose to charging handle), because of the limited eye relief and eye box.

I did like the TA44S I looked through. As usual though Trijicon doesn't come cheap. :sad20:

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    The larue rco mount allows you to push the 4x farther back on the reciever, as in back of scope base on back edge of the reciever. So you can get proper eye relief without having to shoot NTCH, specifically when not practical or preferred position.

Only downside is no BUIS when setup all the way back, so either you place forward of acog, carry a carry handle backup or use an offset backup sight.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The larue rco mount allows you to push the 4x farther back on the reciever, as in back of scope base on back edge of the reciever. So you can get proper eye relief without having to shoot NTCH, specifically when not practical or preferred position.

Only downside is no BUIS when setup all the way back, so either you place forward of acog, carry a carry handle backup or use an offset backup sight.

I have actually grown to like shooting nose to charging handle. It helps me get in the same position everytime. Ive noticed that when i shoulder my other rifles i do it as well.

ACOG for the win. No battery, built like a tank. What more can you ask for?

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I run an Aimpoint Comp ML2 on mine, with a USGI BUIS. I like it, but I would definitely go with a different optic that actually has some magnification and more precision for long range work. With all that said, it sounds like your wife kind of wants the ACOG, so you may want to go ahead and go with that. It is for her after all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom