• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkim56

Jul 20, 2011
    woodbine, MD
    Okay, so I spent a whole bunch of money getting my AR together and it has now come down to the optics. I couldn't justify myself buying a really expensive red dot sight nor could I justify cheaping out on a chinese rds (though I have heard some good reviews on a couple). So I decided to grab a scope instead - this is where the dilemma is.

I've been looking around and have become torn between three,

1) Weaver classic V 1-3x
    2) redfield revolution 2-7x
    3) nikon p-223 3x

I like the weaver because it has the 1x but offers a 3x magnification in a small and simple package, unlike the nikon m-223. But I also love the redfield because it has the accurange reticle and I've heard that the redfield revolution is basically a value line of leupold. And I like the nikon p-223 because it's cheap and seem to be of pretty good quality.

So I was wondering which one of these scopes do you think would be better for short-medium range ar-15. I have a 14.5 mid-length ar15 (PSA) that has a fixed A2 front sight. I'd shoot anywhere from 25 yards to maybe 200 yards max. I'd like the weaver because you can shoot with both your eyes open at 1x, but do you think that'll also be possible with the redfield at 2x?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The Weaver will work as long as you're not expecting to co-witness iron sights at 1x. If you have any desire to co-witness, you need the RDS. Even true 1x scopes magnify the front sight at 1x and leave it out of focus because it's too close to the scope optics.

Something else to consider is how well the scope you buy transmits light in low light conditions. Inexpensive scopes tend to get dark quickly if not in bright light, potentially enough to be unusable if it is cloudy or in the shade. You might also get an objectionable amount of chromatic aberration (distortion away from dead center). Instead of a lower-cost new one, you might be way better off with an older used scope with high-quality optics, especially since it will hold its value if properly cared for.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, if you're running a scope and want to be able to use BUIS, you're best off having a QD mount. Burris' PEPR QD mount is a decent, cheap-ish option for this.

I'd add another scope to your list:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm

Primary Arms is a darling of the ARFCOM crowd for good reason: their stuff works well, it keeps working, and they are great to deal with if it doesn't. You might also look at their red dots...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Here's another option for distances up to 200 yards -

Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle Red/Green optic.

Crosshair; 3-MOA dot; 10-MOA dot; and 65-MOA circle around 3-MOA dot. Eleven-position brightness control.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bush...nell+red+dot&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I've used one of these on a flat-top AR (not mine!) and it works very well.

I bought one a while back (on sale - $90.00), and haven't decided what I want to use it on.
    (Maybe a 12 ga slug gun.) :shrug:

Royall577

Oct 9, 2010
    Essex, MD
    +1 to Primary Arms I have there micro dot and it is fantastic though it is not a Aimpoint you can not beat the quality/price. I also have the Nikon m223 1x4 with point blank reticle and love that scope as well. It took some practice but you can learn to shoot with both eyes open with the Nikon. How much light the scope takes in is very important and the Nikon has great glass and great light addmintance. I hope this helps you out.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I'd shoot anywhere from 25 yards to maybe 200 yards max.

How much are you looking to spend? For 200 yards and under a red dot should work just fine; the center dot on an EOtech is only 1 MOA. If you really want a variable 1-4x scope check out the Vortex Viper. For this distance I really like the Trijicon SRS; an AIMPOINT Pro would also be a good choice and are not that expensive.

Buy once, cry one. ;)

aa5e0321.jpg

974449be.jpg

jkim56

Jul 20, 2011
    woodbine, MD
    From what I've been reading people seem to be complaining that the red-green strikefires are too dim under sunlight. Does anyone have any experience with these?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you've saved to put together a quality rifle, I'd save a little longer for a quality optic. The Aimpoint PRO is very nice, comes with a quality mount, and the price isn't as bad as you may think. Gun Connection was running a great sale on them a few weeks ago; it may still be going on.

Cheap scopes can be very frustrating and, in the end, you'll end up spending money on a good optic, anyway.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    If you've saved to put together a quality rifle, I'd save a little longer for a quality optic. The Aimpoint PRO is very nice and the price isn't as bad as you may think. Gun Connection was running a great sale on them a few weeks ago; it may still be going on.

Na, he should just go with something from BSA or NC Star:)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Na, he should just go with something from BSA or NC Star:)

You may laugh, but we've had more than one discussion on this forum where someone insisted that their NCStar 1-4X was every bit as good as a U.S. Optics or Nightforce and that we were all suckers for buying overpriced optics.

I wish someone would have stopped me from buying crappy optics when I first started out.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I wish someone would have stopped me from buying crappy optics when I first started out.

Can't agree more... I would just save for a quality optic and use the irons for now. ARs survived their first 30+ years of active service without the aid of an optic.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't regret any of my cheap optic purchases from Primary Arms. They worked fine, and when I was ready to upgrade, they had good resale value. I don't subscribe to "buy once, cry once"... I subscribe to "buy stuff with good resale value".

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    Another Primary Arms fan here. Picked up one of their blem m4 style red dots at a great price last winter. I'd love to have one of the high end red dots but can't stomach almost paying as much as I did building the gun....and it left me with some extra dinero for a couple bulk ammo purchases ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom