• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chriscraft245

Feb 17, 2012
    CNC

Can I get a PM with the contact info of the member that has a cnc mill set up for finishing 80% lowers. I'd like to find out if he can do a one off custom lower for bolt action.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Be careful with a CNC finishing of a lower.

BATFE cracked down on these in CA, determining that pushing the start button on a CNC machine, that was already programmed was NOT building it yourself.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    ARES

I have had no problem with ARES, bought 7 Billet lowers and 6 parts kits with nooooo problem. I have received them and they are great, I've finished one and am getting tuned up to do the rest. They NOW have the Billet lowers for 90.00, their x-mas in July sale is what I was told by Jimmy that works there. Very nice people, was told by them, any problems, let em know and they would make it right, by the way, I ordered and received them within the past 3 1/2 weeks. I did mine on a very large Drill Press. I have a toolmaker friend and showed the first one to him, he was impressed and said he couldn't tell it was made from my Drill Press. I was told by him I could use his Bridgeport Mill, but I declined. Anyway if you are doing it on a Drill Press you need a 5/32 drill bit for the side pins, 3/8 drill bit for the selector switch, a 3/8 end mill for finishing the interior, and a 1/4 end mill for the trigger slot, other than that its a snap.

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Be careful with a CNC finishing of a lower.

BATFE cracked down on these in CA, determining that pushing the start button on a CNC machine, that was already programmed was NOT building it yourself.

From what I read. That's totally different. The CNC shop was charging money and the customer was just pressing the button...

Now If you own a CNC machine and doing your own lower from downloaded instruction.. I believe that is still OK.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    From what I read. That's totally different. The CNC shop was charging money and the customer was just pressing the button...

Now If you own a CNC machine and doing your own lower from downloaded instruction.. I believe that is still OK.

So renting a cnc machine and pushing a button to finish an 80% is not legal? Link please if anyone has info on this.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

If you own the machine there is no issue, but there are some cases recently in Cali that basically forced mfrs of 80% lowers to discontinue using the same machines (renting time) to have customers finish their lowers. I believe in one or two cases the mfrs just subcontracted out to a shop (or setup a shop) in a different location to circumvent the ATF. Basically, from what I read they could not produce paperweights and allow finishing of the partial lower at the same facility. Setting a part in a vise, clamping it tight and starting someone else's program on a rented CNC mill is not 'building it yourself' in some people's opinions. The ATF is the only one that really matter tho.. lol

I tend to agree personally, but that's just my opinion. I have a coworker that I am going to be helping this weekend to finish his on a manual DRO mill. He wants to do it himself, not just stick it in a vise and push the button, so we'll do it old school by turnin the cranks by hand... probably use a jig kit to help make it easier for him (and me, the teacher).

There is a CNC mill right next to the manual DRO, but we'll let it sit idle this weekend, cause he can't write G-code yet.. ;)

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I just finished one. Used a cheap harbor freight drill press. You just need a set of drill bits, and a 3/8 end mill. Was easier than I thought it would be. I am planning to do a few more soon!

Any recommendations on the end mill source?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

IIRC, BATFE decided that even that was over the edge. If CNC, you had to program to be the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom