• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chriscraft245

Feb 17, 2012
    Just bought a nice used SS 20" bull upper but it weighs a ton. I think because it has a heavy steel free float handguard holder probably to support the bipod. Was thinking of shaving a few pounds off and replacing the steel tube support. After looking more closely at the front sight I noticed it doesn't have the two tapered pins to remove. It has a pin for the gas tube but no other means I can see to remove. Could this be pressed on to the barrel? Any ideas or thoughts?

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Pressing would seem unlikely because the industry standard part dimensions really don't allow for that tight of a fit. It should slide on and off with a bit of pressure.

Sometimes the front sight base is attached using Loc-tite. It is common in high accuracy builds where the barrel is purchased separately and the rifle does not have to be mil-spec resistant to rough handling.

The way to remove it is to heat the sight base with a propane torch and whack it with a rubber mallet.

Also, look for a small set screw at the bottom of the rear band where the base attaches to the barrel. This is often used to hold the sight in place while it is glued.

If you need to re-attach it afterward, the stuff to use is green penetrating Loc-tite.

By heavy steel free float handgard holder do you mean a DCM style float tube like this?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just for comparison, I have a SST 20" bull barreled AR with a nice lightweight aluminum 14" FF tube and it weighs a freakin ton too! But it shoots lights out, just don't take it for a several mile hike.. lol

Chriscraft245

Feb 17, 2012
    Pressing would seem unlikely because the industry standard part dimensions really don't allow for that tight of a fit. It should slide on and off with a bit of pressure.

Sometimes the front sight base is attached using Loc-tite. It is common in high accuracy builds where the barrel is purchased separately and the rifle does not have to be mil-spec resistant to rough handling.

The way to remove it is to heat the sight base with a propane torch and whack it with a rubber mallet.

Also, look for a small set screw at the bottom of the rear band where the base attaches to the barrel. This is often used to hold the sight in place while it is glued.

If you need to re-attach it afterward, the stuff to use is green penetrating Loc-tite.

By heavy steel free float handgard holder do you mean a DCM style float tube like this?

Just for comparison, I have a SST 20" bull barreled AR with a nice lightweight aluminum 14" FF tube and it weighs a freakin ton too! But it shoots lights out, just don't take it for a several mile hike.. lol

Bingo! Yes it is similar to the DCM tube. Reading that lead me to search Service Rifles. After seeing some photos of mfgs I noticed letters on some of the sight adjusters so I decided to take a closer look at mine. Sure enough...Armalite..... the last place I would have expected the mfg name to be. So I believe I have an upper to an ArmaLite National Match A2 M-15 Service Rifle. Since accuracy is my primary goal for this build I think I'll leave the front sight and float tube in place for my EOTWAWKI collection and take the lighter carbine on the hikes. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom